Monkey-to-Human “Nousai” Malaria

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
PeteC

Monkey-to-Human “Nousai” Malaria

Post by PeteC »

Monkeys yet again. :roll:

Ranong reports 41 cases of monkey-to-human “Nousai” malaria

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ra ... ai-malaria

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... ue-malaria (Trat province outbreak reporting)

Authorities in Ranong, southern Thailand, have reported 41 cases of Nousai malaria in the province. Ranong’s Provincial Public Health office reported that most patients infected with Nousai malaria have a history of going deep into the forest. Nousai malaria, caused by the plasmodium knowlesi parasite, is passed from monkeys to humans through female Anopheles mosquito bites. Yesterday, the eastern province of Trat reported 11 cases of Nousai malaria.

Officials in Songkhla province, southern Thailand, are collecting blood samples from macaques to test for Nousai malaria to ease concerns of residents, who are worried about a potential outbreak of the disease because there are over 2,000 wild macaques in Mueang Songkhla district.

Yesterday, Trat province reported 11 cases of the disease, 9 on the island of Koh Chang and 2 from Bor Rai district. Scientists are currently testing samples of blood from monkeys on Koh Chang to investigate the disease further.

Data from the Department of Disease Control reveals that since the beginning of the year, Songkhla province has recorded 16 cases of Nousai malaria. Cases were recorded in Saba Yoi and Rattaphum districts, most of whom had engaged in forest hunting in remote areas of the jungle. Scientists tested mosquitoes in urban areas in Songkhla and found no traces of the disease.

Of the 41 cases of Nousai malaria recorded in Ranong, cases were found in all 5 districts due to the dense forest coverage in the province. In the past, 1 case was recorded in Ranong in 2012, 3 more cases in 2019 and 16 more in 2021, according to the province’s provincial public health office.

Director of the Songkhla’s Office of Prevention and Control Dr. Pathomphon Prickhu said authorities in every province with recorded cases are investigating the origins of the disease to prevent its spread in Thailand. Everyone in Thailand should take preventative measures to minimise mosquito bites, added the doctor.

If you experience a fever, profuse sweating, shaking, chills, headache, rapid heartrate, nausea or muscle ache, seek medical assistance immediately.

SOURCE: ThaiPBS
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Monkey-to-Human “Nousai” Malaria

Post by HHTel »

hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Hua Hin Hospital had a post on its FB about "nowsai" (โนวไซ = knowlesi) malaria about 3 weeks ago. Transmitted by mosquitos that have fed on infected macaques. Plenty of them in Hua Hin.

There were even a couple of macaques in our garden last week. Never seen them this far from Hin Lek Fai and the Suan Ling community in 17 years living in SmorPhrong.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

I'd be concerned about the mozzy that just fed on the person next to me at the bar or restaurant, and what it's now infected with. Hoping she got her fill and won't snack on me next :lach:
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm Hua Hin Hospital had a post on its FB about "nowsai" (โนวไซ = knowlesi) malaria about 3 weeks ago. Transmitted by mosquitos that have fed on infected macaques. Plenty of them in Hua Hin.

There were even a couple of macaques in our garden last week. Never seen them this far from Hin Lek Fai and the Suan Ling community in 17 years living in SmorPhrong.
I saw them 8 yrs. ago at the Watt at the end of Smorprong.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:
hhinner wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 10:48 pm Hua Hin Hospital had a post on its FB about "nowsai" (โนวไซ = knowlesi) malaria about 3 weeks ago. Transmitted by mosquitos that have fed on infected macaques. Plenty of them in Hua Hin.

Interesting. I don't go up there very often these days but I've never seen monkeys up there before so never thought they could be from there. Maybe the wat's not feeding them properly.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am
handdrummer wrote:

Interesting. I don't go up there very often these days but I've never seen monkeys up there before so never thought they could be from there. Maybe the wat's not feeding them properly.
There's also a large pack of dogs so maybe there's competition for the food.

I haven't been up there for several years as the dogs aren't friendly.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

handdrummer wrote:
hhinner wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am
handdrummer wrote: I saw them 8 yrs. ago at the Watt at the end of Smorprong.

Off topic a bit. But if you live close to the temple you're in luck for a week. If you like loud nose. Temple fair started today. Should scare the monkeys away for a while. And maybe upset the dogs.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

hhinner wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:14 pm
handdrummer wrote:
hhinner wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 11:43 am Interesting. I don't go up there very often these days but I've never seen monkeys up there before so never thought they could be from there. Maybe the wat's not feeding them properly.

Off topic a bit. But if you live close to the temple you're in luck for a week. If you like loud nose. Temple fair started today. Should scare the monkeys away for a while. And maybe upset the dogs.
Loud noise is at the bottom of my list of likes. Whoever heard of a drummer who likes loud noise? Fortunately, I don't live close to the temple, I'm in Tropical Hill 1.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Off topic a bit. But if you live close to the temple you're in luck for a week. If you like loud nose.
I have a couple of friends with very loud noses! :)
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:
Off topic a bit. But if you live close to the temple you're in luck for a week. If you like loud nose.
I have a couple of friends with very loud noses! :)
Oops, ImageImage