French Open 2022

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
PeteC

French Open 2022

Post by PeteC »

French Open: Rafael Nadal beats Novak Djokovic in late-night thriller

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61653969

French Open 2022

Dates: 22 May-5 June Venue: Roland Garros, Paris

Coverage: Live text and radio commentaries of selected matches across BBC Radio 5 Live Sports Extra, the BBC Sport website and app

Rafael Nadal demonstrated once again why he is the greatest player in French Open history by beating long-time rival Novak Djokovic in a late-night thriller to reach the men's singles semi-finals.

Nadal, going for a 14th title, started superbly and fought off resistance from defending champion Djokovic to win 6-2 4-6 6-2 7-6 (7-4) at Roland Garros.

Nadal secured victory at 1:16am local time after over four hours on court.

The 21-time Grand Slam winner now faces third seed Alexander Zverev on Friday.

Germany's Zverev, 25, reached the semi-finals for the second successive year after surviving teenage sensation Carlos Alcaraz's fightback earlier on Tuesday.

"To win against Novak there is only one way: to play your best from the first point to the last," said Nadal, who thanked the Chatrier crowd for showing their "love".

"This is one of those magic nights for me."

Victory for Nadal avenged his semi-final defeat by Djokovic last year and extended his all-time record on the Roland Garros clay to 110 wins in 113 matches.

More to follow.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Re: French Open 2022

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:43 am Rafael Nadal demonstrated once again why he is the greatest player in French Open history by beating long-time rival Novak Djokovic in a late-night thriller to reach the men's singles semi-finals.
Oh, and did I enjoy that result!! :thumb:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Coco Gauff reaches first Grand Slam final and faces Iga Swiatek

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61675269

American teenager Coco Gauff reached her first Grand Slam singles final with victory in the French Open last four, setting up a tantalising meeting with world number one Iga Swiatek.

Gauff, 18, won 6-3 6-1 against unseeded Italian Martina Trevisan on the Paris clay in her maiden major semi-final.

Swiatek, 21, completed a serene journey into the Roland Garros final with a 6-2 6-1 win over 20th seed Daria Kasatkina.

The Pole earned a 34th successive win to move into her second major final.

Swiatek, the 2020 Roland Garros champion, has dropped just one set this fortnight on the Paris clay..............
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rafael Nadal through to final after Alexander Zverev fall

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61682802

Rafael Nadal reached the French Open final after his opponent Alexander Zverev needed to be taken off court in a wheelchair following a nasty fall.

The third seed screamed in pain when he went down on the baseline after turning his right ankle on the final point of the 12th game of the second set.

Fifth seed Nadal was leading 7-6 (10-8) 6-6 when Zverev left the court.

Nadal will play Casper Ruud in Sunday's final after the Norwegian beat Marin Cilic in Friday's second semi-final..........
Lost
Addict
Addict

Post by Lost »

Real shame Coco Gauff fell at the last hurdle losing 6-1, 6-3. Big fan of Coco, watched many of her games since she burst onto the scene at 15. She'll get her major trophy soon enough...
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rafael Nadal beats Casper Ruud for 14th Roland Garros title

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61693135

Rafael Nadal reclaimed his crown as the king of the French Open, winning a record-extending 14th title by beating Norway's Casper Ruud in straight sets.

Spain's Nadal, 36, won 6-3 6-3 6-0 against eighth seed Ruud to also extend his record number of Grand Slam men's singles titles to 22.

He moves two ahead of his great rivals Roger Federer and Novak Djokovic............
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Rafael Nadal won title with 'no feeling' on injured left foot

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/61698213

Rafael Nadal says he won his record-extending 14th French Open title with "no feeling" in his chronically injured left foot.

The Spaniard had several injections to numb his foot during a tournament where he won a 22nd Grand Slam title with a 6-3 6-3 6-0 victory over Casper Ruud.

Last year, he feared his career was over because of the condition.

"I played with no feeling in the foot and an injection on the nerve, so the foot was asleep," he told Eurosport.

Nadal, 36, suffers from Mueller-Weiss syndrome - a rare degenerative condition that affects bones in the feet - and was limping at the Italian Open just 10 days before Roland Garros began.

He finished his season early last year to deal with the problem, including missing Wimbledon and the US Open.

"As everyone knows in the world of tennis, my preparation was not ideal," Nadal said.

"Outside of the practice courts I was off the [ATP] Tour for one month and a half with a stress fracture in the rib and then I have the foot that is something that stays there all the time."

Speaking on court, Nadal said he "never believed" he would still be competing at the highest level at his age.

"I never believed I would be here at 36, playing in the most important court of my career one more time in a final," he added.

"I don't know what can happen in the future, but I'm going to keep fighting to try to keep going."