Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Things That Wind Me Up Driving In Thailand

Post by Big Boy »

There is another one that has been winding me up recently. Thai 90 degree corners are bad enough when driving a car, having to poke your nose out into the road to be able to see what is approaching from the right. The real wind up though is the numbskulls that position signs that mean you have to stick your nose out a further 3 feet be able to see around the sign, leaving you 4 to 5 feet into the road already.

An even crazier one is at the end of my Soi. Sensibly, somebody has positioned a mirror to enable you to see what is approaching from the right. Somebody in their wisdom has put up a sign that completely obscures the image in the mirror.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

No doubt on the basis that 90% of Thai drivers don’t look in any case!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:laugh: I hadn't considered that one.

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've noticed recently that there's a small epidemic of mirrors on junctions. Certainly helps a lot on blind corners. Of course putting a sign in front of them defeats the objective ..... TIT.

I imagine that some relative of a politician or police are now producing traffic mirrors!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I must admit, I don't remember which came first, the mirror or the sign.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No notification of no through road/dead end.

I experienced a double whammy today.

Firstly, I was driving through some pretty serious flood water today for about a mile. Eventually, there was a sign closing the road and a single diversion sign taking me right. First question, if the road was flooded/closed, why wasn't the diversion before the flooded road?

Secondly, we took the diversion, and there was no subsequent diversion telling us where to get back on route. We came across what looked like a brand new, but narrow straight road. I drove along it for some way until my son announced he could see passing traffic (main road) ahead. Not long after his announcement, the new road ended, and there was a hedge in front of me. However, the hedge, in true Thai style had a gap in it, just large enough to fit my truck. I drove through the gap and found myself in somebody's garden. Fence in front of me, no room to turn and I didn't fancy reversing back through the gap. I was stuck.

There didn't seem to be anybody about (just as well). There was a fairly substantial gate that looked firmly closed, but it looked the best option. My son got out, carrying my wife's walking stick in case there were any dogs - there weren't. The gate wasn't locked, and I drove out. I thought it was hilarious, but I doubt the owner would have agreed.

A long story, but it could all have been avoided with a few well placed road signs.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

A newbie on me that seems to have started just this week.

I have friends staying at Initial Hotel. When I take them back each evening I have to turn right into the hotel, and each night there has been oncoming traffic, so I sit there with my right indicator flashing. 3 nights out of the last 4, as I start to move to the hotel entrance, stupid Farangs on motorcycles have gone past me on my right at speed. 2 problems here:
  • They should not be trying to pass me on my right as I am making my maneuver. The clear space is on my left.
  • The turn is probably 20 yards into Soi 94. Why are they driving at breakneck speeds in such a short distance into what is predominantly a semi-pedestrianised area at this time of year?
OK, it really shook me up the first night, but thankfully my reactions were fast enough not to kill the guy. 2nd and 3rd time, because I was so shocked after the first time, I have actually been on clown alert when turning.

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The idiot tourist brigade on rental bikes. Common for the 20-30 age group forgetting about their upbringing and training and totally losing their minds when visiting and disrespecting other countries.

Edit: If they were young Thais perhaps one gang running away from another.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Young Thais appear to drive stupidly, but they have their own code of conduct, which we all learn, and get used to it as part of driving in Thailand. The idiot tourist brigade try to copy, but don't have a clue, which is why so many end up dead or the subject of a Go Fund Me appeal.

As an aside, did you read about the NHS worker currently trapped in a Thai hospital bed? She wasn't insured to ride a motorbike. She is arguing with her insurance company that she hired a scooter, not a motorcycle.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

My latest Thai driving annoyance is Grab scooter riders. I don't have a problem with them when they're going somewhere but just about everywhere there is a shaded parking space around town, there is a Grab driver sat in it staring at his phone.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Its not just farangs, I have no idea why Thais have to ride so fast down busy sois such as 88, its like a race track. Where are they all going in such a hurry?

Maybe its normal to ride at 80kph down these streets and I'm just used to living in the country where the pace of life (and traffic) is much slower!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, you're right, Thais are far from being the best - I've had enough of them bounce off my truck to testify to that.

What I'm saying is Thais are consistently bad, and you get used to it. Many Farang tourists think they are copying the bad driving, but they do it very badly/inconsistently. It is very difficult to anticipate what they will do next.

I agree with you 110% about not understanding the speeds motorcyclists drive down these semi-pedestrianised Sois at. Totally bonkers.

Points 48; Position 20
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

The tourists are the bigger hazard and perhaps it is partly due to the side of the road they use at home. Even the crazy Thai youths have grown up in a keep to the left environment. Foreigners from countries where they drive on the right will naturally react differently to locals. May be part of the reason for unpredictable behaviour.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Gregjam wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:55 pm Even the crazy Thai youths have grown up in a keep to the left environment.
Sometimes :lach:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think that what you’re all saying is - expect the unexpected, whether the drivers are Thai, established Farangs or the holidaymakers, they’re all so unpredictable that the only safe way is to treat them all as potential kamikaze drivers!!