Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Post by buksida »

I've just seen this on the Thai news TV channel so don't have a source/link yet.

The govt is increasing national park entrance fees for Thais and foreigners. There are several tiers of parks, the local ones similar to those in Prachuap, and the touristy ones on the Andaman side.

Prices for Thais have increased to 40 to 60 at local level parks, and from 50 to 100 at the fancy ones.
Prices for foreigners are up from 200 to 300 at local level parks, and 400 to 500 and the fancy ones (5x the local price).

Will post a link/graphic when I find one. Needless to say, I won't be going to many more national parks here.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
buksida

Re: Thailand hikes national park entrance fees

Post by buksida »

image.jpeg.e6b3b74277210efc41e1e92dbdd1f26a.jpeg
image.jpeg.e6b3b74277210efc41e1e92dbdd1f26a.jpeg (101.45 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
Regulations of the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation National Park have announced dual-pricing entry fees for national parks, forest parks, botanical gardens, and arboretums. Effective from 7th June.

The announcement shows a continuation of the long-standing dual pricing policy with foreigners being asked to pay higher fees, in this case, five times those asked of Thai people.

https://royalcoastreview.com/2022/06/du ... nal-parks/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Re: Thailand hikes national park entrance fees, dual pricing remains

Post by Big Boy »

And for us wrinklies, it's a hell of a lot more than 5x. :cuss:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Raise the fees, and having fewer visitors, makes sense.
Maybe that is their goal.
Fewer visitors = less work = fewer employees.
A win, win situation.
I've heard that there is a sale on dunce caps and the government employees are rushing to get theirs.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Typical Thailand, I'm afraid.
I can just imagine if the boot was on the other foot and in the UK Thais/foreigners were charged double/triple to go into a stately home or Buckingham palace etc. We would never hear the end of it, especially now... people/politicians would be cancelled and hounded out of existence.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Just looking at dual pricing in other countries and there are several.
The one that stands out is India with 3,500% hike for foreign tourists!

Thailand was one of the lowest with a price hike of 200 - 500%
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

HHTel wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:18 pm Just looking at dual pricing in other countries and there are several.
The one that stands out is India with 3,500% hike for foreign tourists!

Thailand was one of the lowest with a price hike of 200 - 500%
There have been some cases in California when I lived there. Mrs m worked at disneyland for 11 years and every year they had a week long promotion for people who lived in the local area only, discounts of 10-20%
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

My wife hates it when we go to a dual pricing location particularly if the board showing the prices just shows Thai numbers and adult in Thailand but no mention of foreigner or Thai national. Although it is futile I get a sadistic pleasure in taking the staff to task on the lack of clarity and asking what the foreigner gets for the extra fee. If I am in a particularly awkward mood I threaten to just deprive them of not only my fee but also the up to six Thais with me and go elsewhere.
One of the reasons I have not been to Pala U for over twenty years.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

For me, there is nowhere in Thailand to see that's worth paying a farang tax.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Posts and comments in this thread and threads like this always give the impression that Thailand is the only country to have dual pricing, sometimes called 2-tier pricing.
The fact is that it happens around the world in one form or other. Even in Europe. (different prices for EU citizens and those from outside the EU).
Thailand is no different to many other countries. It's not the worst, nor is it the best. There are so many threads on this forum and others branding the Thais as greedy and the practice to be abhorrent.

We chose to live here with all it's warts. The same complaints would happen in many other countries especially from us Brits!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Of the 20 + countries I've traveled in, there was never 2-tiered pricing. However, I stopped traveling around 2010.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've travelled in over 60 countries and lived in 10 and I don't remember being subject to dual pricing. But I wasn't looking for it which doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Some countries have introduced it quite recently but it's been around for quite some while. As Migrant pointed out, it even happens within the US in some cases.

South Africa is introducing dual pricing 'in reverse'. Instead of hiking prices for foreigners, they're reducing prices for SA citizens which has the same result - dual pricing.

Then there is the 'tourist tax' which is levied on many countries entry fees.

There's different visa prices to enter various countries depending upon where you come from.

There's loads of info on the net showing the worst countries and the best when it comes to dual pricing.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

When I lived in China in the late 80's, they had dual pricing. Last three times that I've been there 2007 and twice in 2009 I haven't noticed it.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Many tourism sites across mainland China offer discounted tickets or even free entry for local residents who show their identity card. But Jiangxi is the first province to extend this privilege to foreign visitors instead, and its decision has not gone down well with locals or domestic tourists.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

But are they still accepting a foreigner with a Thai ID or driving license to pay as a Thai. In my experience this was very common, however it did depend on just where you go.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali