How cars have grown in size

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

How cars have grown in size

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m in the UK at the moment and on my way home this afternoon passed a 1964 Austin Cambridge. Now as a young lad, I remember these cars with some affection and at the time they were considered to be a big family car, but today they look like a car in miniature. When I got home I looked up the dimensions to compare it with the car I’m driving at the moment - a six year old Vauxhall Corsa which is considered a small car in todays terms. Well the Corsa is the same height, is wider, although a few inches shorter, but it brought home how big cars are today compared to 50+ years ago.

This is the car I’m referring to.
51BCDC4F-1F70-4909-A3CB-E56E2177661C.jpeg
51BCDC4F-1F70-4909-A3CB-E56E2177661C.jpeg (81.98 KiB) Viewed 517 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Re: How cars have grown in size

Post by STEVE G »

In the 1970s, my father had a Wolesley 16/60 which was basically an upmarket version of the same car, at least it would have been if it was new and yes, it seemed big at the time.
I know someone who has an original Fiat 500 in Europe and it looks like a roller skate compared with modern cars!
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

The Austin Cambridge was a favourite of the taxi drivers back in the day in Singapore.
วินเชนท์
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 am In the 1970s, my father had a Wolesley 16/60 which was basically an upmarket version of the same car, at least it would have been if it was new and yes, it seemed big at the time.
I know someone who has an original Fiat 500 in Europe and it looks like a roller skate compared with modern cars!
The taxis in Goa, India in the 90's were similar to the Wolsely's. No aircon or increased acceleration when overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. :roll:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I had a Hillman Imp for a short while. Are they still around? I believe they were intended as competition for the mini.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

STEVE G wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 am I know someone who has an original Fiat 500 in Europe and it looks like a roller skate compared with modern cars!
I've probably mentioned this before, but my boss in Devonport Dockyard had one of these. He would often give me a lift. He had to roll the cloth roof back, and I would be head and shoulders out of the car as he drove. I don't think seat belts were a consideration back then.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If you go back to the 60s and beyond, you'll find that American cars were quite large, larger than today's cars.

European and British cars were built for their roads and American cars were built for their roads, hence, the difference in size. That and Americans were physically larger than most Europeans and Brits. I'm discounting The Dutch and Scandinavians.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember the US police would identify American cars by make but anything from Europe was described as a 'foreign compact'
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've been looking whilst on my drive to and from the lake today. Here in Thailand it seems to be massive or small, with very few in between. Plenty big and plenty small.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The biggest difference seems to be in the height but particularly the width of cars - the Austin Cambridge is 160 cm wide whereas one of the smallest cars on the roads in Thailand a Toyota Yaris is 170 cm, pickups and SUV’s considerably more.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

sateeb wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:06 am
STEVE G wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:40 am In the 1970s, my father had a Wolesley 16/60 which was basically an upmarket version of the same car, at least it would have been if it was new and yes, it seemed big at the time.
The taxis in Goa, India in the 90's were similar to the Wolsely's. No aircon or increased acceleration when overtaking in the face of oncoming traffic. :roll:
That must have been the Hindustan Ambassador which was a license built Morris Oxford mk.3, amazingly they didn't stop making them until about ten years ago.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

My first car was an Austin 1100. I loved the fact it was British Racing Green - lol!

I remember driving down to North Devon in it, with 5 of us packed in plus suitaces and whatever, balanced on knees or wherever they would fit. It took forever and the roads weren't so fast then. I still recall the grind getting up Porlock Hill, which was a bit scary. Arrived in the village we were staying after such a long journey and as soon I switched the engine off, a tyre blew out. The noise was deafening. A vicar rode up on his horse asking if he could be of any help. For five London lad's, surreal wasn't the word.
Talk is cheap
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I remember driving down to North Devon in it,...
I was recently watching Ray Winstones first movie, That Summer from 1979, it's about a couple of London lads going to Torquay with a Ford Anglia. It's on Youtube and might bring back some memories!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

STEVE G wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:17 am
I remember driving down to North Devon in it,...
I was recently watching Ray Winstones first movie, That Summer from 1979, it's about a couple of London lads going to Torquay with a Ford Anglia. It's on Youtube and might bring back some memories!
Thanks for that Steve, I'll look it up later. We were staying in a village in North Devon and the nearest town was Bideford, about 9 miles away. It was great fun. Luckily, drink driving rules weren't strict then and we found a local taxi who made a fortune out of us!
Talk is cheap
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

I'm working over in Louisiana just now. They love their trucks over here and these things are tanks!
My colleagues Chevy pick-up is a good 7-8' high.