Summer Solstice

Discussion on science, nature and technology across the globe.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Summer Solstice

Post by Nereus »

For all star gazers, today is Summer Soltice. Longest day of the year at 12h 56m 12s of daylight.

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/thailand/bangkok

June Solstice: Shortest and Longest Day of the Year

https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/june-solstice.html
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Ratsima »

Here's another site that his some interesting astronomical data by location. The first is for Cha Am, but easily changed.

GAISMA Cha Am

GAISMA Hua Hin
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

At my current UK location the sun rises today at 04.42 and sets at 21.19 giving 16h 37min of daylight
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Lol. I remember my MIL on a visit to the UK in the summer. She had my stepdaughter up showered and dressed and sat down for breakfast until my daughter looked at the clock and pointed out that it's only 5 in the morning.
The MIL just could not get her head around it. As far as she was concerned, the clock must be wrong!
PeteC

Re: Summer Solstice

Post by PeteC »

I can remember being in a small hotel in London where there were birds chirping out my window and it was dawn sometime close to 0400. In turn I had just retired at around 2200 hours and is was still dusk. One needs to get used to that type of thing. I can't imagine being so far north or south to experience the 6 months light/dark life.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And of course, while it is summer here, it is winter in the southern hemisphere. I used to live in this place, but never saw the following:
................................................................................................................
Southern Salties swimming group strips off to mark winter solstice

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-21/ ... /101168484

It is not unusual to see swimmers entering the cool waters of Binalup-Middleton Beach in Albany at dawn, but they are usually wearing something.

Nearly 40 people stripped off for the annual Southern Salties winter solstice nude swim.

The group of men and women meet every morning for a dip in the refreshing Southern Ocean but hold the special nude dip to mark the longest night of the year.

"Honestly, there's probably other ways to start the day, but we love a swim," participant MJ Gibbs said.

"It's just something special that we do as per tradition.

"It's just usually a dip in the water — and we do the women's swim at 6am and the men's at 6.30am, so never the twain shall meet."

video.............and
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I am currently in my hometown, south-east Finland. Here are todays times

Sunrise: 03:33 Sunset: 22:44 - no real darkness throughout the night.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I remember being in Lewis when I was a teenager in the navy. An evening at the pub. Chat up a good looking lass. Walking her home in daylight/sunshine really killed the mood!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I always tried to arrange to be working in Scotland for Summer Solstice. It never got properly dark. The establishments I worked were sort of central Scotland. One year I went to a friend's wedding in Inverness, and that was amazing. I remember getting back to the hotel at about 2:30am, and the sky was just a darker shade of blue.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
lindosfan1
Deceased
Deceased

Post by lindosfan1 »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:55 pm At my current UK location the sun rises today at 04.42 and sets at 21.19 giving 16h 37min of daylight
Mine is sunrise 4.40 sunset 21.14 giving 16.34 minutes daylight. Strange time difference.
:cheers:
Woke up this morning breathing that's a good start to the day.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:21 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 1:55 pm At my current UK location the sun rises today at 04.42 and sets at 21.19 giving 16h 37min of daylight
Mine is sunrise 4.40 sunset 21.14 giving 16.34 minutes daylight. Strange time difference.
04:52 and 21:33 for us - so 16hrs 41min here..... Always sunnier in Wales!! :wink: :D

I worked close to St Petersburg some years back where it simply didn't get dark - supposed "nighttime" lasted about an hour, but was never truly dark. Bit of a strange experience going without darkness for a couple of months TBH.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Pharvey wrote:
I worked close to St Petersburg
St. Petersburg is about 200 km south-east from my hometown, so it's about same for the summer nights here.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:58 pm
lindosfan1 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:21 pm
04:52 and 21:33 for us - so 16hrs 41min here..... Always sunnier in Wales!! :wink: :D

:cheers: :cheers:
I suppose the extra sunlight is to make up for all the rain you get!!

But all joking aside the difference between winter and summer solstice in the UK is significantly greater than it is in Thailand. :cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thousands flock back to Stonehenge to welcome back 'euphoric' summer solstice

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-06-22/ ... /101172364

Thousands of people from all walks of life have flocked to greet the summer solstice at Stonehenge to mark the longest day of the northern hemisphere year.

Over 6,000 druids, pagans and New Age revellers gathered at the ancient stone circle on Tuesday to catch the sunrise phenomenon after two years of COVID-19 restrictions.

Jennifer Davies of English Heritage, the organisation responsible for Stonehenge, said this year was "particularly special" after the pandemic.

"Everyone is doing their own celebrations … people take away from it different things," she said.

"For some people, they really believe it is a place of worship.

"Other people just marvel at its construction and everything and are interested in the archaeology."

"It's a very happy, peaceful, almost euphoric occasion," she said.
On the summer solstice, the sun will reach its highest point in the sky.(Andrew Matthews/PA via AP)
On the summer solstice, the sun will reach its highest point in the sky.(Andrew Matthews/PA via AP)
stonehenge.jpg (53.15 KiB) Viewed 653 times
more at link
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

And the A30 was gridlocked.