Flu vaccine in Hua Hin

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
fft100
Professional
Professional

Flu vaccine in Hua Hin

Post by fft100 »

Apparently, the number of flu cases this year world wide is higher than previous years as the lockdown ends.

Where in HH can the flu vaccine be obtained, and any idea of the price ?

Thanks.
Big Boy

Re: Flu vaccine

Post by Big Boy »

Red Cross and Hua Hin Hospital should have stocks. However, be aware whether or not they'll jab you is dependant upon when you had your last Covid jab. I had mine 10th May, and have been told I can have my flu jab on 20th August.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PJG
Professional
Professional

Re: Flu vaccine

Post by PJG »

Recently had Flu jab at Bangkok Hospital. They told me it was 30 days before or after Covid jab. From memory was 800B.
Big Boy

Re: Flu vaccine in Hua Hin

Post by Big Boy »

My wife and I were told we had to wait - different doctors, different clinics, different days. Typical Thailand I guess - depends who you speak to on the day.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

When we enquired at Red Cross they said 1 month (or maybe 30 days) after covid vax. 350 baht. Stock was limited. Phone 032 511 024.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This won’t help you guys in Thailand, but in the UK they will give a Covid booster and flu vaccine at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Because of the pandemic causing 'flu cases to plummet, the development of this year's 'flu vaccine has been severely inhibited.
This season's flu vaccine was a poor match for the virus, CDC reports

This season's flu vaccine offers meager protection against mild cases of influenza, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported Thursday.

Against the most common flu strain circulating this season, the flu shot reduced a person's chance of getting a mild case by 16 percent, which is "considered not statistically significant," the CDC authors wrote, though the shots should offer some protection against more severe illness.
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-n ... -rcna19485

This was the expected outcome a year ago because of low 'flu cases.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:59 pm This won’t help you guys in Thailand, but in the UK they will give a Covid booster and flu vaccine at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, several relatives have done the double.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Free flu jabs available for all at participating hospitals

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40016983

Points 48; Position 20
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:42 pm Free flu jabs available for all at participating hospitals

Is this just for Thais or foreigners too ?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

joelle wrote:
Big Boy wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:42 pm Free flu jabs available for all at participating hospitals

Is this just for Thais or foreigners too ?
A month ago there were two flu vaccines available. A vaccine against 3 strains of flu which was for Thais in so-called risk groups. This is still available and free, but is only for Thais. Also available at Red Cross was a 4 strain vaccine priced at 350 baht for anyone. Whether it is still available you will have to check with Red Cross. And of course other places have vaccine as posted above.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

For what it's worth.

A friend in Sydney has been vaccinated against the flu, yearly, for the past 4 years, and every year he has had the flu.

I guess it doesn't work for everyone.

I've never been vaccinated and I've never had the flu. I shall assume, rightly or wrongly, that it's the functioning of my immune system that keeps me healthy.
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:51 pm For what it's worth.

A friend in Sydney has been vaccinated against the flu, yearly, for the past 4 years, and every year he has had the flu.

I guess it doesn't work for everyone.

I've never been vaccinated and I've never had the flu. I shall assume, rightly or wrongly, that it's the functioning of my immune system that keeps me healthy.
Flu vaccines have never had a particularly high rate of efficacy against symptomatic disease. Routinely, it's in the 30-60% range but sometimes lower than that even. However as that NBC article points out, they should still give protection against severe disease.

For instance, how sick was your friend in Australia - were they seriously ill, or just mildly?

Also are you sure they definitely had the flu? Most doctors and clinics don't actually test for the flu, they just go by the symptoms. He could possibly have had a heavy cold, an adenovirus or a mild bacterial respiratory infection, leading to flu-like symptoms (unless of course, he was actually tested).

But in any event, you can't really base things on a sample size of two (you and your friend in Australia).
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Regular Flu 2022

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

HHTel wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:36 pm 'Flu mutates all the time. We don't see the same level of concern to that.
Probably because flu isn't as transmissible and doesn't kill anywhere near the same number of people.

In the US, they had over a million deaths from Covid in a little over two years. Flu typically kills less than 60,000 per year.

Also, we know that because of the rapid mutation rate, there is a protocol whereby new flu vaccines are developed and approved every year within about 6 months (which incidentally, puts the lie to the claim that new vaccines always take years to develop).

The same protocols aren't in place for Covid so they can't get new vaccines developed and approved nearly as quickly.

Furthermore, the number of cases of flu each year are relatively predictable, its characteristics are well-known and understood, and the modalities of treatment for it are well-established - it's basically a known quantity, whereas Covid still isn't yet.

There really is no comparison between flu and Covid (in most respects).
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Covid-19 News (Thailand and Southeast Asia only)

Post by HHTel »

Whilst I agree, it's because of Covid that the stats for 'flu this season are pretty much unpredictable. The vaccine match is one of the worst on record.
As 'flu is not a reportable disease, figures are mostly assessed.
Last year, however, as the COVID-19 pandemic dominated the US, influenza cases were at an all-time low: Data from the CDC, supplied to JAMA, shows that out of 1.3 million specimens collected by labs between October 3, 2020 and July 24, 2021, only 2,136 were positive for influenza. Of those 2,136 influenza cases, there were only 748 flu-related deaths.

That's a huge difference from the rates of the 2019–2020 flu season. Per the CDC, there were an estimated 35 million flu-related illnesses—that number includes 16 million medical visit for the flu; 380,000 flu-related hospitalizations; and 20,000 deaths due to influenza.

Globally, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that the flu kills 290,000 to 650,000 people per year.

It's far too soon to say, but experts are still worried about what could happen. "We're mildly terrified about how things could unfold with flu season this year.

This is for a few reasons. First: Australia—which has its winter and flu season during summertime in the US—didn't have a flu season this year. While that could be good news for a less severe season in the US, it also spells trouble for vaccine formulation. "Usually when the powers that be are trying to figure out which strains to put in the vaccine, they are basing it on what circulated in the southern hemisphere during summer," says Dr. Conway. "They didn't have any flu season, so the powers that be couldn't figure out prevalent flu strains."
https://www.health.com/condition/flu/ho ... every-year

It's already been stated that the 'flu vaccine this year is virtually useless being only 16% effective. Nobody really knows what the knock-on effect will be to 'flu deaths.