Flashing Orange Light in small square box

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Flashing Orange Light in small square box

Post by Big Boy »

I'm just back from my daily drive to and from Khao Tao Lake, and I've been actually looking for the little beasties - there are a lot of them. I've come to the conclusion there is no specific reason to them, other than to indicate a potential hazard (although there's one on Soi 102 where the only hazard I could see was maybe a cat crossing the road). Personally, I think erecting an orange light beside an existing sign is crazy - the sign should be notification enough.
This refers to traffic lights set to flashing mode instead of red/orange/green, usually at night.
If that is the case, how stupid is that? If approaching a flashing amber at night on an unfamiliar road, how do you distinguish between traffic light and small square box? :?

I also encountered a version of this sign on the way to Khao Tao:

Light.jpg
Light.jpg (49.9 KiB) Viewed 331 times

The colour scheme was different (black and yellow), but still had the same mysterious chevrons. Just for HHTel, I don't know how many times I've driven past without noticing - actually I have seen and obeyed the arrows previously, but what does the chevron mean?
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Chevrons.jpg
Chevrons.jpg (4.98 KiB) Viewed 320 times
BI-DIRECTIONAL HAZARD MARKER.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

......... but what does the chevron mean?
In another life a Chevron was used to indicate the way to proceed, as in "this way to an exit".

In this case the intention is probably the same, ie, showing 2 options to proceed from where you currently are.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And then there is this:

https://www.siamtraffic.com/en/traffic- ... vron-sign/

and if you can remember all of these without looking them up, then you are probably telling lies:

https://www.siamtraffic.com/comsiamtraf ... ge_id=3721
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Chevrons are more commonly known as indicating the intensity of an upcoming bend but has other uses. As Nereus says, it's also used as a 'way out' etc. Marked on the road it attempts to show the safe distance between you and the vehicle in front.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Reading through the signs in your second link. Initially I thought that 90% of the signs were self explanatory (ignoring the crazy google translations that accompany them) the as I progressed they got sillier and sillier.
A point to bear in mind that this is from a company that manufacture signs, so it's an advert. I wonder how many are their own inventions.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This answers my chevrons question - thank you Nereus.

Sign2.png
Sign2.png (26.33 KiB) Viewed 294 times

and it actually makes sense. Albeit, the Soi 88 chevrons are a different colour, but TIT. Probably didn't match the foreman's handbag :laugh:

This is the nearest thing to the sign I've been talking about on Nereus's charts:

Sign.png
Sign.png (71.39 KiB) Viewed 294 times

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

They make sense more on dark sections of road out of town, on the 3218 through Hin Lek Fai I've noticed that they warn you that the central reservation starts again after junctions and u-turns.
I suppose it stops people from trying to overtake thinking that the reservation has finished.
The light warns you about the reservation and the chevron sign warns you about the light post!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

If everyone is happy with what a flashing amber light means, I've just noticed that where the 2004 meets the 3218 at Wat Nong Khorn, they have a flashing red one!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Is there a Stop sign beside it? I still maintain the light in the OP would be better as a flashing red.

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:52 pm Is there a Stop sign beside it? I still maintain the light in the OP would be better as a flashing red.
Yes, I assume it means that you have to stop but I don't actually know. After reading this thread I've seen flashing amber lights everywhere but only one flashing red one.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, yes, I've been seeing them as well, but haven't seen a red one either.

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Amber indicates 'caution' - red would mean STOP. Hence flashing amber lights in abundance for numerous reasons.

Back to vehicles - indicators/hazard warning are amber and a brake light is red.

The choice of colours are no accident. (except in Thailand, maybe). The colour red, for centuries has meant DANGER. The colours red, amber/yellow/orange, and green were first used in the railroad system, then on ships to a degree and eventually adopted for traffic.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

So why in the OP have they sited an amber flashing light beside a Stop sign? This is why I was confused in the first instance.

Points 48; Position 21
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Because they got it wrong. There are lots of anomalies here. Contradictory signage is one of them. Major and minor road priority, for example. Depending from where you approach a junction the priorities change. If you go over the other railway crossing (as if you're going to Hua Hin School) the signs indicate that the major road does a right turn. On the return, the signage indicates approaching a T junction with a major road ahead. And if you approach it from Hin Lek Fai, you will be on a minor road with a stop sign at the junction. They try but can't always get it right.
On flashing lights: Turning into Kao Takieb from Petchkasem you're faced with a flashing RED light at the head of the central reservation. Your options are to proceed straight on or go right into the U-turn. The flashing red makes no sense. (that may have changed. I'll check next time I make that turn).
They try, and generally, succeed in getting the signage in order but the main problem is educating road users to understand and follow the rules. I can't see that happening in the foreseeable.