Elephant rips mahout’s body in half in southern Thailand

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Elephant rips mahout’s body in half in southern Thailand

Post by PeteC »

https://thethaiger.com/news/national/el ... n-thailand

An elephant ripped its mahout in half with its tusks yesterday morning at a rubber plantation in southern Thailand’s Phang Nga province. Police think the elephant was annoyed at its owner for making it haul rubberwood in the hot weather.

At 11.30am, officers from Takua Thung Police Station were informed that a mahout was killed by a 20 year old male elephant named Pom Pam in Tha Yu subdistrict.

Police, the village chief and rescue workers rushed to the scene where they found the body of 32 year old Supachai Wongfaed ripped in two parts in a pool of blood in the middle of the rubber plantation. Police said the elephant had stabbed the man with its tusks several times and ripped his body in half.

The police’s preliminary investigation revealed that Supachai had taken Pom Pam to the rubber plantation to haul rubberwood in the morning. Police said the hot weather may have made the elephant “go crazy” and subsequently attack and kill its owner.

Phang Nga Provincial Livestock officers were called to the scene, who shot the elephant with a sedative dart from a range of around 500 metres so that rescue workers could retrieve Supachai’s body.

The mahout was the son of Thawon Wongfaed, former mayor of the Khok Charoen subdistrict.

Supachai’s body has been handed over to his relatives for religious ceremonies to be carried out.

Last month, an elephant stabbed its mahout to death with its tusks in Nakhon Sri Thammarat province and stood watch over his corpse for hours. Locals told police the mahout had taken the elephant up a hill to work. They suspected that the elephant was stressed from work, which is why it stabbed its mahout to death.

SOURCE: KhaoSod
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Elephant rips mahout’s body in half in southern Thailand

Post by PeteC »

...."who shot the elephant with a sedative dart from a range of around 500 meters".....

I would have liked to have seen that. I guess they now have tranquilizer dart artillery here. My guess is they meant 50 meters.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

PeteC wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:54 pm ...."who shot the elephant with a sedative dart from a range of around 500 meters".....

I would have liked to have seen that. I guess they now have tranquilizer dart artillery here now. My guess is they meant 50 meters.
Yes, those darts cannot travel that far! :guns:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

There are at least half a dozen inappropriate jokes begging to be expressed, but I shall refrain. For now.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:43 pm There are at least half a dozen inappropriate jokes begging to be expressed, but I shall refrain. For now.
Oh come on DM - not like you......
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Elephant 1
Mahoot 0
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

handdrummer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 pm Elephant 1
Mahoot 0
Was a game of two halves.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

Lost wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:25 pm
handdrummer wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:23 pm Elephant 1
Mahoot 0
Was a game of two halves.
The two halves don't make a whole.