A Pub in Wales!

This is the free for all area, live and unleashed, say what you like!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: A Pub in Wales!

Post by Dannie Boy »

lindosfan1 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:02 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:43 pm
upwards of £5
But....But....But.... people go back to the UK, and tell us how much cheaper beer is over there. You must go to the wrong places :run:
The cheapest is weatherspoons the buy beer close to the run out date. I rarely use pubs locally but in London I was charged £7.50 for a pint. It does depend where you live and drink.
:cheers:
Pub prices vary enormously ranging from £3 or less at a Weatherspoons type of pub, to £7 or more at a more upmarket place (where I’m staying in the South East). However in supermarkets you can get incredible deals - a few weeks ago in Aldi I found Harvey’s Bitter which tasted pretty good at just 89p (less than 40 Baht) for a 500ml bottle - even more upmarket beers were only £1.49 (just over 60 Baht).
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:55 pma few weeks ago in Aldi I found Harvey’s Bitter which tasted pretty good at just 89p (less than 40 Baht) for a 500ml bottle - even more upmarket beers were only £1.49 (just over 60 Baht).
Now youre upsetting me! :D

Harvey's Bitter! A wonderful ale, that I enjoyed very much in the upmarket pre-match boozer we used on Parsons Green. Back in the day, it was known to everyone as the 'sloany pony' - you have to know Fulham to understand - but is also called The White Horse.

A pint of Harvey's, brewed in Lewes (promounced Lew-is for non Brits) in Sussex, is one of my all time favourite beers.
Talk is cheap
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Getting back to the Pubs, Bars etc. - and going back a fair few years....

In Wales in the 60's (stories from my old man - not me.. :D ), it was only the "Working Man's Club" open on a Sunday and only for an hour or two - queues down the street....

As for "Working Men's Clubs" I've visited, there was one in Cleethorpes (Yorkshire) going back to the late 80's when I was working there (well staying there and working in Grimsby). Carpets, "lounge furniture" - ladies allowed. BUT, the carpet ended around 3ft from the Bar itself and there was a yellow line at it's edge - no woman was allowed to cross it! And this was late 80's...... Though they did have a "Grab a Granny Night" at the local nightclub on a Wednesday night, so surely can't be classed as sexist :shock: :oops: :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Cleethorpes (and Grimsby) is in Lincolnshire. The Humber divides Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.

Living in Hull, I spent a lot of my childhood with trips to Cleethorpes. Paddle ferry across the river and train to Cleethorpes.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

HHTel wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:17 am Cleethorpes (and Grimsby) is in Lincolnshire. The Humber divides Yorkshire and Lincolnshire.
I stand corrected..... :bow:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.