Effect of enforcing Thai motoring legislation

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Effect of enforcing Thai motoring legislation

Post by Gregjam »

So what would be the effect of actually enforcing Thai road legislation not only on the actual driving experience but on life in general. We all complain about the appalling standards and lack of enforcement but what it helmet law, driving licence, vehicle inspection etc was actually enforced in a way that those of us from the 'West' are familiar with?

The chances of this happening as many of us are all too well aware is close to zero but just for the sake of discussion, both light hearted and serious, what do you think would be the result. Apart from removing a large percentage of road users and locking up a few too it would also have an effect on the economy. Those families surviving on minimum wages would struggle if they were only allowed two people on a motorcycle and had to buy a helmet, insurance and actually have a licence. BIB would suffer a huge loss of income, scrap yards would become full of crushed bikes/cars, prices rise as people need to earn more. Dread the thought that all the DUI drivers both locals and foreigners end up spending a night at the local nick.

Just a thought.....
bigston
Professional
Professional

Re: Effect of enforcing Thai motoring legislation

Post by bigston »

I know its just not a Thailand related problem / issue
Any country that has rapidly accelerated in take up of western ideas, cultures, wants, is going to being playing catchup
most likely forever,and change is inherently a word despised..
we all know that in most of our home countries that a car with only 3 wheels, or belching out shedloads of pollution
no lights, doors held on with sticking plaster, 9 people in the back tray of a pickup, etc etc, are hopefully intercepted and dealt with appropriately
you constantly get these mouthpiece numbnuts saying that we are going to lower the road toll by 50 % in the next 5 years
what fairyland stuff..
until someone further up the food chain than the ones with bulging brown paper envelopes stuffed under the floorboards, actually initiates and follows thru with real plans, real action to reduce the hideous waste of life , deterents in some form for blatantly breaking the law, im not saying crush the drivers mode of transport, but assist, in "real terms " someway of at least trying to correct the head spinning stupidity one sees every day.
god forbid, they banned the minuscule price rise on sugar bomb drinks the other month, so the ever increasing number of wasted fat young people can save money
but, Greg, you gotta start somewhere, before the planet goes on life support, if it aint already there..
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Gregjam wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:39 am So what would be the effect of actually enforcing Thai road legislation not only on the actual driving experience but on life in general. We all complain about the appalling standards and lack of enforcement but what it helmet law, driving licence, vehicle inspection etc was actually enforced in a way that those of us from the 'West' are familiar with?

The chances of this happening as many of us are all too well aware is close to zero but just for the sake of discussion, both light hearted and serious, what do you think would be the result. Apart from removing a large percentage of road users and locking up a few too it would also have an effect on the economy. Those families surviving on minimum wages would struggle if they were only allowed two people on a motorcycle and had to buy a helmet, insurance and actually have a licence. BIB would suffer a huge loss of income, scrap yards would become full of crushed bikes/cars, prices rise as people need to earn more. Dread the thought that all the DUI drivers both locals and foreigners end up spending a night at the local nick.

Just a thought.....
Saving a few lives could be a positive effect ? 🤔
Just Maybe? 🤔🤔
buksida

Post by buksida »

That was my initial thought, the effect of enforcing motoring laws and proper traffic policing would be to bring down that horrible daily death toll statistic.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

I totally agree that enforcement would make the roads so much safer and reduce the death toll. Proper driver education would make a massive improvement. Getting kids off of motorbikes and onto bicycles would help both health wise and safety wise. Would insurance premiums get lower too if all road users did not have to worry that the ratty old pickup that ran a red light and hit them is insured and is not going to negatively impact their own insurance.
What are the rules here for commercial vehicles. The digital tachograph is a good way of monitoring drivers hours and easy to spot infringements.
Enforcing the regulations would offer huge benefits to health and safety of life but will have an effect on the economy opening up business opportunities for some but likely having a negative effect for those people on minimum wages. Those in rural areas are likely to be the most affected negatively.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I could write a book on this. But I won't. You also need to take into consideration whether it is in an urban or rural environment. Rules are bent differently.
Thirty years ago when I first got here to stay permanently, I stayed around the area near the Ornut skytrain station. These days it takes minutes to get to Siam. Those days it took 4 hours and cost two baht to stand packed like sardines in a non air-conditioned bus that would move three feet every ten minutes. It was faster to walk. The motorcyclists also took to the pavement en masse, no real enforcement then.
Go to Chinatown, and take tuktuk. Today. They still drive the wrong way, cut across multiple lanes with everything else in gridlock. Enforce? Why, as it is the second fastest way around. And no one wants to put on a smelly helmet (if offered) by those motorsai riders..
In the rural areas, kids learn to ride a motorcycle as soon as their feet can reach the ground. And are allowed to ride to school and back. Why? It saves a double trip for the parents who are typically farmers or rubber tappers on roads like dirt tracks; the amount of fuel is probably just enough for one round trip anyway. They live on the fine line of deciding whether it would be a double trip or food on the table.
Don't expect miracles.
วินเชนท์
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I will say one thing, though. With all the speed cameras along most routes (including some back roads) most of the traffic does keep to the speed limits. People have been stung often enough so it is only a few diehards that continue to flaunt the rules. I think those of you who have been here at least ten years and have also been driving at least as long would have noticed this change.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

VincentD wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:25 pm I think those of you who have been here at least ten years and have also been driving at least as long would have noticed this change.
No, quite the contrary.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

VincentD wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:25 pm I will say one thing, though. With all the speed cameras along most routes (including some back roads) most of the traffic does keep to the speed limits. People have been stung often enough so it is only a few diehards that continue to flaunt the rules. I think those of you who have been here at least ten years and have also been driving at least as long would have noticed this change.
Getting stung multiple times hasn't slowed my wife down a bit.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I certainly have slowed down, not so much because I've been stung, but because I changed from a modified sport saloon to a rather slower 4wd.. And my cataracts.
I used to do the Asian highway quite often, the run up to Nakhon Sawan and a bit further up; back in the day 150 wasn't out of the question, and regularly have the euro makes doing that too. Not so much now, I notice they keep around 100-120 except for the occasional delivery pickup. Most know where the fixed cameras are.
Enforcement is now typically done with cameras, and a letter in your mailbox.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't consider myself as one who breaks the speed limit (but I do). Normally on dual carriageways I stick around 100, and may go a little faster on 120 stretches. However, I've said it before, try pulling onto Petchkasem going through Hua Hin and driving at under 70. You are actually a hazard/obstruction to other road users. Thais are so impatient, they will invent 3rd and 4th lanes to get past you. Unless you're the dickhead always driving at 20/30kph everywhere (usually Bangkok plates) I would suggest you too are breaking the speed limit on Petchkasem Road through Hua Hin.

Points 51; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

A fine of a few bucks isn't going to deter the Bangkok SUV warriors or retired Ranger driving expats :duck: from speeding. Going a few kph over the limit on a highway isn't dangerous. Pulling out without looking, driving the wrong way, making a dangerous u-turn, jumping lights, tailgating, and swerving across lanes without looking will risk lives. These are the things that need proper policing and enforcement if the death toll is to be reduced.

Just spent 2 months in the UK and covered over 3,000km from ranging Inverness to Dover and the driving is so easy and predictable due to enforcement and 99% of drivers abiding by the road rules. Less than 24 hours back in Thailand and its video game mode again!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

buksida wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:49 pm Just spent 2 months in the UK and covered over 3,000km from ranging Inverness to Dover and the driving is so easy and predictable due to enforcement and 99% of drivers abiding by the road rules. Less than 24 hours back in Thailand and its video game mode again!
In general, the British are more accustomed than the Thais to obeying the laws.
buksida

Post by buksida »

It has more to do with the deterrents/penalties and size of the fines than general law obeying.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:agree:

Points 51; Position 21