Cycling Cha Am - Two Caves In One Day [long]

Cha-Am, Tha-Yang, Kaeng Krachan, and Petchaburi. Discussion on areas north of Hua Hin.
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Cycling Cha Am - Two Caves In One Day [long]

Post by Ratsima »

I'd had my eye on pair of adjacent caves for some time but just got around to planning a trip last week. The caves are (with Google Maps links):
Kai Lone Cave and Lap Lae Cave
They looked pretty far to me, but Google said 40K one way so I decided to go for it. I left about 6:30 AM last Friday (September 30, 2022), headed south on Mittraphap to Hwy 1001 which is perhaps best known as the road to Springfield Golf. I followed 1001 west to Tung Ngam reservoir which is actually pretty nice.
KL1.jpg
KL1.jpg (231.95 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
From there I rounded the reservoir on an unnamed country road. I was surprised to see a large oil palm plantation off that road which has an adjacent research biofuel refinery and a filling station at which their biodiesel is sold.
KL2.jpg
KL2.jpg (274.79 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
From there I road through another surprise, the Red Cross Horse Farm. The horses are used to produce snake venom and rabies serums. Continuing on, the road up to Kai Lone is just across Hwy 3301. The road to the cave is awful for cycling and consists of very loose gravel. Toward the end it steepens to the point that I had to hop of the bike and walk the last 100 meters.

Off the parking lot is a sala which on that day was being used for a vegetarian festival ceremony. I was beat after 40K but decided to head for the cave. The bottom of the long stairway is decorated with the usual Buddhist and Hindu images.
KL3.jpg
KL3.jpg (318.99 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
The stairway itself is very steep and poorly built. The risers are quite variable in height and depth. The stairway is under renovation which appears to have ground to a halt during the reign of Rama V. By the time I reached the top my heart rate was 180. Quite high for an old man. My Apple Watch told me I'd climbed 13 flights. It felt like more. Here's a view from the top looking down.
KL4.jpg
KL4.jpg (328.34 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
The entrance of the cave is unremarkable.
KL5.jpg
KL5.jpg (342.38 KiB) Viewed 1599 times
But inside is something else.

(to be continued)
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Re: Cycling Cha Am - Two Caves In One Day [long]

Post by Ratsima »

The entrance to Kai Lone cave opens into a large chamber full of many Buddha images and other stuff.
KL6.jpg
KL6.jpg (282.71 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
Two short passages lead to a smaller chamber with this beautiful chedi.
KL7.jpg
KL7.jpg (235.67 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
A closer look at some Buddha images.
KL8.jpg
KL8.jpg (275.48 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
At the entrance is this collection of tiny Buddhas.
KL9.jpg
KL9.jpg (219.33 KiB) Viewed 1591 times
My water bottle was empty by the time I got down the steps, but the sala, where water is available, was full of ceremony attendees. I guess I looked somewhat pitiful as someone asked what I needed. I said water and was kindly handed two sealed cups of very cold and very welcome water, most of which went into my bottle. I got on the bike and head for Lap Lae Cave. There is a gravel road from one cave to the next, but I opted to head back to Hwy 3301 for what I was sure was easier cycling.

(to be continued)
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

The unpaved road from Hwy 3301 up to Lap Lae cave is simply awful. It seems to consist mostly of fist-sized hunks of what looked like sandstone but is probably chert or perhaps mud-stained limestone. I was terrified that my bike tires would be ripped to shreds. I made it; once again having to push my bike up the final steep hundred yards.

Although this cave is on the grounds of a monastery, there was only one old wooden open air building visible. It was full of cooking implements and the other sort of junk you find at rural temples. Inside an old monk was smoking a cigarette and playin with his phone. He started talking to me, but, dumb as I am, I had no idea what he was on about. Eventually he offered a light. It was one of those ancient things with a big lamp connected to a heavy 12 volt lantern battery. I had brought my own torch so declined the offer. His last utterance to me was an exhortation to avoid touching things. That I understood.

Fortunately, the steps up to Lap Lae Cave a short, well designed and in good shape.
TL1.jpg
TL1.jpg (368.56 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
The entrance unremarkable.
TL2.jpg
TL2.jpg (317.66 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
But inside is wonderful.

(to be continued)
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

The entrance to Lap Lae cave opens in to what must be a massive network of chambers and passages. The only Buddha image is this gem just inside.
TL3.jpg
TL3.jpg (231.5 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
A few views of the interior.
TL4.jpg
TL4.jpg (170.78 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
TL5.jpg
TL5.jpg (201.64 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
TL6.jpg
TL6.jpg (230.4 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Much of the interior is lit by electric lamps which are both helpful and annoying. I could locate many unlit passages that went who knows where. I chose to stay in the lighted areas as getting lost is a definite possibility; especially of the power failed. Anyway, I didn't want to have to wait for Vigo Mortensen and Colin Farrell to come and rescue me.

Bats in the cave. You could easily hear the little squeals of the echolocation.

I rode pretty much straight home from there only stopping for an espresso and bottle of water at this lovely and delightful coffee shop in the middle of nowhere.
TL7.jpg
TL7.jpg (265.21 KiB) Viewed 1576 times
Here's a map of the route. I turned out to be just over 83K.
map2.jpg
(289.66 KiB) Downloaded 1175 times
And a link to an interactive Google Map: Kai Lone and Lap Lae Caves
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Nice report and photos, wish I had your energy !
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

You're a trooper! On those occassions when people ask me what all is involved with international travel I tell them you need to be a little bit fit. You sound like you are a LOT fit. I have been to that second cave although it was probably a hundred years ago and maybe even the first on although I do not recognize/remember anything from your photos. Good pics indeed.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Great report and pics. Thanks.
Talk is cheap
Chazz14
Professional
Professional

Post by Chazz14 »