Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Left Turn at Traffic Lights - Warning

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:22 am Now if you're at the front of a queue of cars, motorbikes amass in front of you.
Thus nullifying any benefit the green filter light might give you.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

HHTel wrote:Thanks, Scout. Now you've started a heated discussion between the Thais in my house. Some interpret it the same as I do and others say it's nothing to do with turning left. The translation I'm told is roughly 'Area for motorbikes and cycles only'.
So now I'm totally confused. Is this anything to do with the area ahead of the 4-wheeled traffic allowing bikes to wait for the lights in a 'new' area that has appeared of late? Now if you're at the front of a queue of cars, motorbikes amass in front of you.
Scout is correct. There is an area reserved for bikes waiting at the lights.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Unless you want to risk a 500 baht fine, do not drive through a yellow/amber light, big brother is watching. :( :(
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Why? I thought yellow/amber was giving you a warning that red was imminent. If approaching a traffic light you should try to stop, but if only feet or inches from the stop line carry on, else risk being rear ended for stopping too suddenly.

Or are you saying driving through amber will attract a fine now? I was certainly not aware of that one.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 9:22 am Thanks, Scout. Now you've started a heated discussion between the Thais in my house. Some interpret it the same as I do and others say it's nothing to do with turning left. The translation I'm told is roughly 'Area for motorbikes and cycles only'.
So now I'm totally confused. Is this anything to do with the area ahead of the 4-wheeled traffic allowing bikes to wait for the lights in a 'new' area that has appeared of late? Now if you're at the front of a queue of cars, motorbikes amass in front of you.
These areas at the front of junctions are used in quite a few countries, it's not just a Thai thing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_stop_line
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

These areas at the front of junctions are used in quite a few countries, it's not just a Thai thing:
There are many intersections in Bangkok that have M / C only boxes painted on the road. The difference in Thailand, like most other such things, is that there is no consistency. Some include the left turn lane, some dont, some have a sign saying left turn anytime, some have bugger all! TIT
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

If in doubt, don't do anything.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:05 pm Why? I thought yellow/amber was giving you a warning that red was imminent. If approaching a traffic light you should try to stop, but if only feet or inches from the stop line carry on, else risk being rear ended for stopping too suddenly.

Or are you saying driving through amber will attract a fine now? I was certainly not aware of that one.
The problem arises when the traffic light is beyond the stop line as it is at the lights at Soi 35 by the palace driving north.

You may well cross the line on amber but when you get to the light after just a few seconds the light has turned red. The camera captures a picture when you cross the light not the stop line making it falsely appear you have driven through a red light.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Good job there is no camera there then :D

Or are you talking from experience?

Points 48; Position 20
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Big Boy wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:48 pm Good job there is no camera there then :D

Or are you talking from experience?
If you doubt me, go and find out yourself.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I working on what the Radarbot app says i.e. no camera at those lights, which is why I'm asking if you were talking from personal experience. I've already identified one area where the app was wrong last Wednesday, and I'm wondering if you've identified another.

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Traffic lights typically use inductance loops buried in the road surface; they can be coupled with a camera and a timer. They are usually set to give you the benefit of the doubt. Also, there is typically more than one loop in the circuit, so if you trigger the second loop way after the timer period expires, you will have a high likelihood of receiving a traffic fine in the mail.
Radar cameras, on the other hand, use microwaves and the doppler effect.
วินเชนท์
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

There is much traffic on Thai social media regarding these traffic lights at Soi 35. The complaint is the time the lights are on amber is too short. Many people have been caught.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I'd agree the time on Amber is very short, but the app does not recognise the lights as having cameras. Do the complaints state people have been caught by a camera, or are they complaining about the length of Amber?

A long time ago, I was almost at the lights as the amber came on, and I decided that as the light was just changing to amber, and it was safer to carry on. I'd barely crossed the line when it switched to red. I did not receive a ticket, but who knows if it is in the Thai Postal System?

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

malcolminthemiddle wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:43 pm There is much traffic on Thai social media regarding these traffic lights at Soi 35. The complaint is the time the lights are on amber is too short. Many people have been caught.
Approaching the same lights yesterday en-route to the footie, I hit exactly the same scenario as in my previous post. Of course, once bitten, twice shy, I approached with a little more caution this time, and stopped on amber.

I'm pleased to report the fault has been fixed, and they stayed on amber for a normal period. I would guess so many complaints forced them into fixing the problem. I'd also guess so many complaints gave them an obligation to withhold issuing tickets whilst the system was faulty. It could also explain why the app was not reporting a camera in that location i.e. the app must be updated quite frequently because the cameras reported was different to those reported Wednesday. It is still giving incorrect information as you enter Hua Hin though.

Points 48; Position 20