A simple task . . .installing an LED fluorescent light

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

A simple task . . .installing an LED fluorescent light

Post by LolaBeltran »

I have done a lot of lower level electrical work in my day . . .wired switches, multiple outlets etc but I am totally flummoxed by the task of replacing an old fluorescent light with a new LED. Go to Youtube you say? I did first thing and nothing I found there matches what I have before me. The Youtube guys are all working on replacing huge multi unit bulbs dealing with multi colored wires ( I just have white and black) and/or cheerfully ripping out the ballast. . .nothing I can use. I get that the ballast is not needed. . and the the new unit I bought doesnt even have one. So this is the first electrical thing I have ever bought that doesnt appear to have a way to connect to the double wire power line. ImageImage

Any help much appreciated! Thanks
Attachments
IMG_20221031_095852.jpg
(82.98 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
IMG_20221031_095906.jpg
(91.84 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: A simple task . . .installing an LED fluorescent light

Post by HHTel »

This may be helpful, alternatively you could just replace the complete holder. They're not that expensive.

https://www.eledlights.com/blogs/articl ... t-fixtures
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I have not had anything to do with them, but there are a couple of different types.

Does what appears to be a small connector block on the grey wire have 1 or 2 vacant terminals?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Thanks for the replies . . .this IS a brand new holder straight from Watsadu.

The problem is that there are NO terminals at all to connect to! The block with the gray/white wires is for a starter which I understand is not needed with an LED bulb ( TUBE T8 . . .9 watt.)
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Can you move or tip over one of the lamp holders. There should be additional "push-in" type of connections on the base of the lamp holder.

LED tubes do not need a starter, so you would need a dummy starter, or just either remove it and conect the 2 wires together. It appars that you might have a basic fitting designed to be made into whatever you want, ie; original ballast type, or LED.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

I would be tempted to cut the grey wire on each side of the starter block and connect the incoming house electricity to each of the resulting cut wire ends. Cheap enough to replace if it breaks something. If you have a modern electric consumer unit in the house then the worst that can happen is a triggered breaker.

Better to buy a complete set, holder and tube, if you want to keep it simple. The holders that I have for led tubes have two connection wires exiting at one end, making installation easy.

There are also sealed holder/tube units available, but replacement means buying the whole thing again.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

My LED strip outside came complete with holder.
I've replaced the circular neons indoor with LED which are much brighter. Literally took out the ballast and connected the led bulb direct to the 2 wires.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

I appreciate the video links ( watched them all) and the suggestions . . .but I appear to have purchased a unique product bearing little resemblance to anything in the videos. (The tombstones on mine are sealed so no way to tell if they are shunted.) I am giving up on it and if I cant get an electrician to install it . . .I will toss the lot and buy something else.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When we converted everything to LED, our Mr Fixit was at a loss regarding how to install the fluorescents. He went back to HomePro, where we'd bought everything, and they were more than happy to show him how to install. Of course, that was Thai on Thai.

[Edit] Thinking back, there was a little something he had to buy extra, which wasn't in with the fittings. Quite cheap, and it was easy for him with the little extra. Don't ask me what it was, because I'm technically inapt.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Just buy a complete unit, holder and bulb set. They come with the attaching hardware too. It makes sense to do this as each manufacturer have their own specs so bulbs probably won't be interchangeable. They're cheap enough anyway.
วินเชนท์
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

VincentD wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:57 pm Just buy a complete unit, holder and bulb set. They come with the attaching hardware too. It makes sense to do this as each manufacturer have their own specs so bulbs probably won't be interchangeable. They're cheap enough anyway.
No, that is exactly what I'm talking about. Our Mr Fixit couldn't fathom it, and it was only when he returned to HomePro that they told him about the additional component. Maybe we chose the wrong manufacturer, but it was required for our units.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Problem solved! I bought a new complete unit ( bulb and holder) with the two connection wires coming out one end of the package. Took me 5 min to install.
Thanks everyone for the input here. It was worth a try.