Self Build Planning

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
Green Nomad
Professional
Professional

Self Build Planning

Post by Green Nomad »

Apologies if the subject of this post already exists on this section. We are considering having our retirement house built on a plot of land we have near Hua Hin. The issues, and even maybe laws may have changed over last few years anyway. Before I start, I know this is a very big gamble and potential disaster in the making, but if homework is done and planning carefully considered, it is doable.

So, who are needed to be onboard to ease the process, ie....OrBorTor and engineer, an architect, decent builder (if one can be found) and even land neighbours?

If the access road to our plot looks too small for truck access, is the idea a non-starter?

Do we need to stick to particular design style in a rural setting? And can buying a design plan from online supplier be a viable cost cutting measure?

There maybe other things I have not thought of. If any members have either considered doing this or have experienced the whole process, be it successful or not, any input would be very much appreciated. GN.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Re: Self Build Planning

Post by HHTel »

As well as the 'experts', you need to do the paperwork. The plans have to be submitted. You'll need a building licence followed by an inspection on completion.
Property has been bulldozed when not having the licence so it's quite important.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

HHTel is correct about getting the paperwork done correctly, however in my experience the local municipality are nowhere near as strict as say the UK when it comes to checking compliance between the drawings and the finished article - I’m not suggesting you should apply for a 2 bed single story building and build a 4 bed two storey, but I got away with some minor modifications (the bedrooms were 1 metre longer and there was an additional window in the lounge) without even a question being raised (although that was 10 years ago).
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We also built around 10 years ago and had no real problems. We used a local building company and they did all the detailed plans and planning applications.
We just chose a design out of one of those plan books that you can find in Thai bookshops and made a couple of changes.
The house is also up a track about 100m long and had to be improved but Thai truck drivers can get pretty much anywhere with a 10 wheel truck if it's physically possible.