BBC Axe Gary Lineker

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: BBC Axe Gary Lineker

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:55 pm It's not about free speech. The beeb has well established impartiality rules for a good reason.
I think it's the selective impartiality rules that's the issue. For example, this tweet from Gary was fine.

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Also fine. No problems, here.

20230311_091429.jpg
20230311_091429.jpg (60.69 KiB) Viewed 448 times
20230311_091435.jpg
20230311_091435.jpg (49.56 KiB) Viewed 448 times
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's good to know you don't have an unhealthy obsession on this subject, Lost!
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Oh, sorry. I'll stop posting either updates or opinions on this topic. My bad.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Lost wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:20 pm Oh, sorry. I'll stop posting either updates or opinions on this topic. My bad.
You could start by posting accurate information.

In your first posting you said...
"This comes after he likened the government's new bill that hopes to deter criminals (both on the boats and selling the boats) entering England illegally, to that of Nazi Germany.

What Lineker actually tweeted was...
There is no huge influx. We take far fewer refugees than other major European countries. This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?

Not seeing the N word in his tweet but the media jumped all over it and decided that was how they were going to report it. I believe that what GL was trying to get across was that the rhetoric in 30's Germany was to blame Jews for all the misfortune Germany was going through, pretty much the rhetoric heard throughout Europe about asylum seekers these days. Human nature, blame someone else for your own misfortune. :cheers:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2022-23

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:18 am
Lost wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:15 am Just in—Match of the Day will be broadcast as a highlights package with no pundits tomorrow.
= less 🤬 - more football 😀
No more football, apparently. I see MOTD is scheduled to last 20 minutes this evening!! :shock: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh good God, he's an over-rated, over-paid smug git and that goes for the co-presenters. Enough already - the Girls Brigade are hardly news......

:roll:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Spot on Mr Pie. It seems these days that anyone with opposing views are either right wing fanatics or left wing loonies.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Woke up this morning and saw this thread headline

I was genuinely shocked as I thought that overnight BBC bosses had truly axed him as in sacked

He has not been "axed" , he is suspended(on full pay we assume?) whilst talks take place about what he can/cannot say on social media

Obviously it could transpire that he may get sacked. Which in itself would be an even bigger story bearing in mind the overwhelming solidarity shown to him by his colleagues

So as a point of order please to the Mods.....the thread heading should say "Suspend" not axe.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Last edited by thecolonel on Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Or could be construed by some people as BBC "ASK" Gary Lineker :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

― George Carlin
HarryVardon
Professional
Professional

Post by HarryVardon »

I watched yesterday's Match of the Day. It was nice to miss the load of rubbish usually presented in the show. As for Gary Lineker. I think he should be able to express his opinions. However is opinions are both wrong and dangerous. He should be removed from the BBC, not for his opinions but for being an obnoxious personality. Match of the Day would certainly do quite well without him (probably better). As for Shearer, Wright and others at the BBC not appearing in order to support Lineker, do they support his stupid views or just him as a person? They should make that clear, otherwise they are just as stupid as he is!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

It's all just utter bile, isn't it. It reminds me of the old MAD magazIne sketch, where so many people rush to join the non-confomists, that they become the conformists, which makes them unhappy.

Trying to make this into a left wing / right wing issue is equally dumb and follows MAD magazines doctrine. For years and years, the beeb staff were proudly left wing, retired editors proudly admitting they censored stories about opposition to immigration, because of their own views. It got so bad, that high profile journalists were allowing their personal views to influence their interviews. This led to an independent review and changes were recommended. Now the left are screaming about what they perceive as the right ruling the roost and using their personal views to influence their decisions.

But it's not just the beeb, it's the civil service as well, which has become equally politicised. As an ex CS myself, still bound by the OSA (and I do have a few snippets of interest, that I would never share, and I doubt I am not alone), you know the rules. Yet all of these leaks, of which Brexit was the catalyst, were designed to do nothing other that undermine the Govt of the day and that is wrong and against the rules of their employment.

These day, everyone thinks they have a right to say what they want. But rights come with responsibilities. Simply put, Linekar should follow the rules on impartiality. It's not hard. Keep your mouth shut and if you think you can't abide by that, then leave. And that applies equally to anyone else who does the same. Simple.

The beeb is dead as a public institution if impartiality flies out the window.
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

sateeb wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:28 pm
Lost wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:20 pm Oh, sorry. I'll stop posting either updates or opinions on this topic. My bad.
You could start by posting accurate information.
Apologies.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Shearer and Wright must need the money, as they are working as a double act, both offering their opinions on the Fulham Arsenal game. That's on True. No idea who the provider is.
Talk is cheap