Harry Kane vs Jimmy Greaves vs Dixie Dean vs Anybody Else

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Harry Kane vs Jimmy Greaves vs Dixie Dean vs Anybody Else

Post by pharvey »

As an "Outsider" as such, I would view Kane's record as incomparable with the likes of Greaves et al from times past. Much in the same way as most team sports (rugby included :wink: ), where players simply didn't win the amount of caps that modern day players do. I'm sure relevant stats are easily available to those in the know, but when caps, goals scored from penalties etc. are taken into account, how does 'arry compare then?

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Euros 2024

Post by dtaai-maai »

You also have to consider the pitches they played on. 40+ years ago they were sometimes a mudbath!
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:50 am You also have to consider the pitches they played on. 40+ years ago they were sometimes a mudbath!
Indeed - or the bloody ball they played with!! As with rugby, not exactly light (especially when wet!!).

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 am As an "Outsider" as such, I would view Kane's record as incomparable with the likes of Greaves et al from times past. Much in the same way as most team sports (rugby included :wink: ), where players simply didn't win the amount of caps that modern day players do. I'm sure relevant stats are easily available to those in the know, but when caps, goals scored from penalties etc. are taken into account, how does 'arry compare then?

Many (and I’d be one of them) consider Greaves as the greatest goal scorer of all time - his goals per game ratio is definitely better than Kane. But you can compare Kane to Rooney as being in the same timescale and Kanes record is much better. He has scored quite a few penalties, but even they have to be put away, so all I’d say is that he is a very good goal scorer - although not necessarily the greatest, but records are about statistics and in pure numbers, he’s now number 1.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
pharvey wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:33 am As an "Outsider" as such, I would view Kane's record as incomparable with the likes of Greaves et al from times past. Much in the same way as most team sports (rugby included :wink: ), where players simply didn't win the amount of caps that modern day players do. I'm sure relevant stats are easily available to those in the know, but when caps, goals scored from penalties etc. are taken into account, how does 'arry compare then?

Many (and I’d be one of them) consider Greaves as the greatest goal scorer of all time - his goals per game ratio is definitely better than Kane. But you can compare Kane to Rooney as being in the same timescale and Kanes record is much better. He has scored quite a few penalties, but even they have to be put away, so all I’d say is that he is a very good goal scorer - although not necessarily the greatest, but records are about statistics and in pure numbers, he’s now number 1.
But not as good as Dixie Dean's(GPG)
whilst still scoring over 300 goals(0.69 vs 0.86).

And in the top division and winning league titles and cups and playing for country(I assume Greaves won the league?? Don't know tbh)

Greaves did score 43 more goals though(but he played 154 more games)

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:54 pm
Dannie Boy wrote:

And in the top division and winning league titles and cups and playing for country(I assume Greaves won the league?? Don't know tbh)

The difference is I’m old enough to remember watching JG - DD was way before my time and before much of it was captured on film.

Tell us what it was like watching him Colonel. :D :duck:

BTW Greaves was part of the league/FA Cup winning double of 1961 , then winning the FA Cup again the following year and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963 - a long time since Spurs have come close to repeating it again!!
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 pm BTW Greaves was part of the league/FA Cup winning double of 1961 , then winning the FA Cup again the following year and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963 - a long time since Spurs have come close to repeating it again!!
Sorry DB, you know how I hate to contradict someone as venerable as your good self, but Spurs won the double in 60-61 and Greavsie joined in December 61.
Nul points, mate! :laugh: :cheers:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:05 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:49 pm BTW Greaves was part of the league/FA Cup winning double of 1961 , then winning the FA Cup again the following year and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963 - a long time since Spurs have come close to repeating it again!!
Sorry DB, you know how I hate to contradict someone as venerable as your good self, but Spurs won the double in 60-61 and Greavsie joined in December 61.
Nul points, mate! :laugh: :cheers:
Ok well spotted - he only won the FA Cup the following season :neener:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:
thecolonel wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 1:54 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Many (and I’d be one of them) consider Greaves as the greatest goal scorer of all time - his goals per game ratio is definitely better than Kane. But you can compare Kane to Rooney as being in the same timescale and Kanes record is much better. He has scored quite a few penalties, but even they have to be put away, so all I’d say is that he is a very good goal scorer - although not necessarily the greatest, but records are about statistics and in pure numbers, he’s now number 1.

The difference is I’m old enough to remember watching JG - DD was way before my time and before much of it was captured on film.

Tell us what it was like watching him Colonel. :D :duck:

BTW Greaves was part of the league/FA Cup winning double of 1961 , then winning the FA Cup again the following year and the European Cup Winners Cup in 1963 - a long time since Spurs have come close to repeating it again!!
What was it like?

So, how can I compare it for you?

Well, in one particular season, it was like watching Haaland all this season so far.

But then imagine watching him score a hat-trick in each and all of his remaining eleven league games! Oh and to win the league title too.

Or rather that's what it would be like, just to give you a bit of perspective.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Don’t take life so serious Colonel - just having a bit of fun. In any case, you cannot compare football today with what it was like almost a hundred years ago - in his day, Dixie Dean stood out from his peers, the same as Haaland has with his - that’s good enough!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Don’t take life so serious Colonel - just having a bit of fun. In any case, you cannot compare football today with what it was like almost a hundred years ago - in his day, Dixie Dean stood out from his peers, the same as Haaland has with his - that’s good enough!!
Don't take my post so seriously, I too was having fun with the stats

Yeah Greasvie stood out too Image

pharvey

Re: Harry Kane vs Jimmy Greaves vs Dixie Dean vs Anybody Else

Post by pharvey »

Damn, I started a thread on Harry Kane vs lots of other Wendy Footballers??!

OK then - I'm voting for John Toshack as both player and manager - crikey, he took Swansea from the Fourth to the First Division in successive seasons. As a player with Liverpool and Keagan, well, I'm sure stats will tell.

Hell's Teeth, and this from a proper shaped ball game supporter!! :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 am OK then - I'm voting for John Toshack as both player and manager ...
Hmm, you might have inadvertently struck on a neat idea. Who is the best footballer turned manager, taking into account their skills and success in oth jobs? Only British initially, I think.

So we already have Toshack, and you mentioned Keagan. Who else do we have?
Dalgleish
Rooney
Gerrard
Lampard
Scott Parker
Hoddle
Southgate
Sherwood

Blimey, there's going to be loads of 'em. Maybe we should introduce some restrictions, like international players and Premiership managers. Or maybe this was just a daft idea! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:49 am So we already have Toshack, and you mentioned Keagan. Who else do we have?
Dalgleish
Rooney
Gerrard
Lampard
Scott Parker
Hoddle
Southgate
Sherwood
Well, I'm not exactly the fount of knowledge, but "King Kenny" certainly did well at both - aside from his second stint at Liverpool I believe.

Hoddle and Lampard played in the same neck of the woods as 'Quins RFC and were equally crap I think. Lampard and Rooney were kicked out weren't they? Otherwise, not a clue!! :wink: :oops:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

dtaai-maai wrote:
pharvey wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:21 am OK then - I'm voting for John Toshack as both player and manager ...
Hmm, you might have inadvertently struck on a neat idea. Who is the best footballer turned manager, taking into account their skills and success in oth jobs? Only British initially, I think.

So we already have Toshack, and you mentioned Keagan. Who else do we have?
Dalgleish
Rooney
Gerrard
Lampard
Scott Parker
Hoddle
Southgate
Sherwood

Blimey, there's going to be loads of 'em. Maybe we should introduce some restrictions, like international players and Premiership managers. Or maybe this was just a daft idea! Image Image
Certainly not a daft idea, it's a great question!

Not sure why you haven't mentioned Sir Alex or Brian Clough though. Surely it would be between those two if Brits only. Maybe three with Bob Paisley.

But should be another topic/thread really as, following on from the Euro 24 thread, Dannie starting talking about the greatest goalscorers of all time(I'm guessing again he was meaning British).