Book to Best Film

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
pharvey

Book to Best Film

Post by pharvey »

So, going on from.....
Ginjaninja wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:22 am
pharvey wrote:^ Everytime I hear of a series called "Swarm" etc. I always get hopeful it's based on Michael Crighton's book Prey (based on a swarm of micro-bots).... Cracking book, but hey-ho :roll:
Fantastic book.
I’ve read so many great books that I think would make a good film but most don’t see the big screen.
Yet the majority of big films have fairly mediocre storylines.

Edit: Would make a good thread

Examples - Orion (Ben Bova), Birdsong (Sebastian Fawkes)….
You must have some dirty vids books under your bed lost - come on. As for you DM...

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Re: Movies (From Books) - That Should Have Been Made (or MADE BETTER)!

Post by dtaai-maai »

I think this thread is the wrong way round. It's so difficult to do a book justice in a 2-hour film that it would be much simpler to list the good book-to-film transitions.

As to what's under my bed, some things are best left to the imagination. Besides, I haven't dared to look there since childhood.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 am I think this thread is the wrong way round. It's so difficult to do a book justice in a 2-hour film that it would be much simpler to list the good book-to-film transitions.
Well, OK - why not - Mods, could you change the title to reflect DM's comments? "Best Book to Film?"

[EDIT] or "Book to Best Film"?

We'll see.... :wink:
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 am As to what's under my bed, some things are best left to the imagination. Besides, I haven't dared to look there since childhood.
I haven't slept well for many years - that comment in no way helps me! That said, lost's mind must be working overtime now (does he know your address?). :neener:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 am I think this thread is the wrong way round. It's so difficult to do a book justice in a 2-hour film that it would be much simpler to list the good book-to-film transitions.

As to what's under my bed, some things are best left to the imagination. Besides, I haven't dared to look there since childhood.
You could have copies of the Beano worth a fortune!! :neener:
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Book to Best Film

Post by sateeb »

Many books to movies have disappointed me. Having said that the recent movie "A Man Called Otto" adapted from Fredrik Backman's novel "A Man Called Ove" was one I enjoyed NEARLY as much as the book. I'd be interested to know if any of you think that any movie adaptation was better than the book?
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

The one combo that springs to mind is One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I saw it in 1976 during my gap year in France, dubbed into French. Not being familiar with Nicholson, it was amazing to hear his voice when I saw it again the next year back in England. What a voice! Anyway, it's one of my all time favourite films. The best moment in the film for me was when (spoiler alert, though if you haven't seen it yet, it's your own damn fault!) was when Chief Whatever revealed that he wasn't mute. The book, however, is narrated by the Chief, so we know that from the word go. Whoever decided to switch that around in the film is a chuffin' genius who deserves a medal.

Does that alone make the film better than the book? I'm not sure TBH, and it's a long time since I read it, so I'd probably have to watch the film again and read the book again. Which now that I think about it, I'll do soon.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:51 am
dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:43 am As to what's under my bed, some things are best left to the imagination. Besides, I haven't dared to look there since childhood.
Hmm, what's the going rate for old copies of Bunty...? :oops:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 11:24 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:51 am
Hmm, what's the going rate for old copies of Bunty...? :oops:
Depends on whether the pages are stuck together!! :duck:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Not out yet, but Tom Hanks has the film/TV rights to the late Philip Kerrs, 'Bernie Gunther' series. Bernie being an anti nazi detective in 30's Berlin and the books take you through his exploits during WW2 and right up to the 60's and feature a cast of some of the Nazi's most infamous thugs and allies, including Eva Peron! I wish he'd get on with it and make a series or films based on the novels.
Talk is cheap
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

/\ RIP Philip Kerr, I really enjoyed the Bernie G series. I hope Mr Hanks does them justice.
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Thanks chaps, just downloaded the lot!
This is the way