The AI (artificial intelligence) thread

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

The AI (artificial intelligence) thread

Post by Lost »

Artificial Intelligence is moving at a fast and furious rate. The last couple years it's really picked up a notch. Lots of talk of the dangers and the need for regulation. In ten years, AI will be deeply embedded into all things tech and more. It will go down as another huge shift/landmark for humans. Ai art, deepfake, writing programs, movies, full self-driving, novels, code ... it's all happening.

For now, here's a lord of the rings movie trailer that artificial intelligence produced in the style of Wes Anderson. :D

I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Re: The AI (artificial intelligence) thread

Post by VincentD »

Well, considering how long the spell check function has been around, and how infuriating it can be at times, is AI really going to improve things all that much?
วินเชนท์
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

VincentD wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 11:11 am Well, considering how long the spell check function has been around, and how infuriating it can be at times, is AI really going to improve things all that much?
I'm not sure about improvement in general but it's
certainly going to put many out of a job if they don't adapt their skillset.
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

I don't disagree. Computers have invaded practically everything; there are about 50 microprocessors in your average car and you need a deep understanding of the CANBus systems along with the standard internal combustion engine, now hybrids and such - even the mechanics at the dealerships are lost.
I'm keeping my old car for as long as possible before they start charging a fee (ala BMW for the heated seat function).. Things are getting really stupid.
วินเชนท์
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

This is ironic, one of the roles that IBM is looking to replace with AI is Human Resources!:
https://futurism.com/the-byte/ibm-replacing-humans-ai
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

AI art is causing significant upset in the digital art world. Hundreds of thousands, millions even, have invested many years of study into photoshop, illustrator and the like. Having the likes of Joe Schmo with zero photoshop/illustration skills... producing art that would take a good day or two from a graphic designer - in seconds - is pissing people off. All you need to learn is the right prompts to feed into whatever AI program you're using (midjourney and stable diffusion being the most used currently). Learn how to tell it what to do basically.

And AI has learned it's art by skimming through gazillions of actual artists work on the net. For free.

Photography produced the same concern/outrage amongst artists when it became mainstream.

Some AI art.

20230515_151258.jpg
20230515_151258.jpg (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

20230515_151135.jpg
20230515_151135.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 2611 times

20230515_151028.jpg
(68.61 KiB) Downloaded 1706 times

20230515_151158.jpg
20230515_151158.jpg (59.66 KiB) Viewed 2611 times
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^ What was the AI prompt for the second picture, "Asian girl trying to catch hypothermia in the Yorkshire Dales"?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

STEVE G wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 1:00 am ^ What was the AI prompt for the second picture, "Asian girl trying to catch hypothermia in the Yorkshire Dales"?
:laugh:

Just the first 4 AI art pics that come up in search on twits.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Online search to make up lost time with AI
Online search, dominated by Google for 25 years, has become as banal as making a phone call, but it could finally be getting a profound reset thanks to artificial intelligence.

The classic search and click made ubiquitous by the Google behemoth is getting a major AI makeover as bots ChatGPT, Bard or Bing see hundreds of millions of web surfers seek answers to life's questions in a new way.

"People are realizing how many times they use Google search, not to find a webpage, but to answer a question," said Stefan Sigg, Chief Product Officer at Germany-based Software AG.

Microsoft, long considered big tech's boring uncle, has jumped fearlessly and some say blindly into generative AI search with an update to Bing, the long struggling also-ran to Google.

Bing's bot, which was released worldwide after three months of testing, responds directly to a query instead of throwing out a pageful of links for the search user to wade and click through.

With a prompt, Bing will compare two products, brainstorm vacation plans or reassuringly help prepare a job interview, for example.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/tech/257167 ... me-with-ai

About time something challenged Google where most of the search page results are paid ads. I rarely use it these days.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The CEO of Open AI, an artificial intelligence company, started in 2015 (Elon, an early board member, gave it $100 million when it was a non-profit, it's now worth an estimated $29 billion thanks to ChatGPT and Dall-E) spoke today on AI and regulation.

OpenAI CEO calls for laws to mitigate ‘risks of increasingly powerful’ AI

Sam Altman says before Senate judiciary committee that he supports guardrails for technology to minimize harms. The CEO of OpenAI, the company responsible for creating artificial intelligence chatbot ChatGPT and image generator Dall-E 2, said “regulation of AI is essential” on Tuesday as he testified in front of a Senate judiciary committee panel.

In his first appearance in front of Congress, Sam Altman said he supported regulatory guardrails for the technology that would enable the benefits of artificial intelligence while minimizing the harms.

“We think that regulatory intervention by governments will be critical to mitigate the risks of increasingly powerful models,” Altman said in his prepared remarks. “For example, the US government might consider licensing and testing requirements for development and release of AI models above a threshold of capabilities.”

“I think AI is going to be such a large part of our future and is so complicated and moving so fast,” Marcus said at the hearing. “It’s a step in that direction to have an agency whose full-time job is to do this.”

Continued: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... egulations
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Couple of BBC articles today on ai. One pleasant, one not so pleasant. 🤣

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

So what are the sites/Apps/Software that people are supposedly using to write their letters, CVs, "articles" etc?

Would be interesting to see an AI version of a CV to my own.... Or a love letter to the LHG :shock: :wink:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm Or a love letter to the LHG :shock: :wink:
Don't worry, I'll show you one of mine. :duck:
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Wed May 31, 2023 9:37 pm So what are the sites/Apps/Software that people are supposedly using to write their letters, CVs, "articles" etc?
OpenAI's ChatGPT is the primary one, unfortunately they've only released the app for Appleheads but an Android one is on the way.

https://openai.com/blog/chatgpt

https://www.androidpolice.com/chatgpt-g ... droid-app/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson