Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by Pagey »

Lost wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:01 am Arsenal fkin flying this year! :cry:

Definite title contenders again.
Really ? Arse second team again
last 5aturday man city bench
walker,grealish, KDB, Ortrega,
silva, Gvardiol, Bobb, Lewis

Arse bench
Nketiah, Soares, Nelson, Elneny, bandeira, Nwameri,Walters,Jorgihno

I can't believe arse are still paying a salary to Elneny and Soares

Arse have 4 out of 10 first choice players missing through injury for 4/5 games at least this season.

Suprised they are in top 6 carrying White and Havertz every game
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well Arsenal are either doing something right or else everyone else is doing something wrong? At least this season looks like a genuine three team race to lift the title- something we haven’t seen in years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:29 am Well Arsenal are either doing something right or else everyone else is doing something wrong? At least this season looks like a genuine three team race to lift the title- something we haven’t seen in years!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, good for us neutrals having a title challenge.

As for Arsenal, yesterday was probably relegated Burnley and last week W Ham were very poor making Arsenal look good.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’d agree that barring a miracle, Burnley and Sheffield Utd look doomed. Everton have a tough challenge to avoid relegation but I still think they’ve got a good chance of doing so, which leaves Luton, Crystal Palace and Nottingham Forest (and Everton) as probable candidates for the third relegation spot.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well the weekends results have done precious little for me to reconsider my views on the relegation candidates (although Forest did well) - I’m hoping that Everton win tonight to push them out of the bottom three!!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Everton are struggling to get that elusive win to help them pull away from the relegation pack, however the other teams jostling with them are doing no better so they’re just keeping outside the bottom three.

Elsewhere, City managed a narrow victory against Bournemouth (Haaland is definitely not firing on all cylinders this season) to keep the pressure on Liverpool and Arsenal (who won fairly comfortably against Newcastle) and Man Utd got beaten by a spirited Fulham team.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Everton are struggling to get that elusive win to help them pull away from the relegation pack, however the other teams jostling with them are doing no better so they’re just keeping outside the bottom three.

Elsewhere, City managed a narrow victory against Bournemouth (Haaland is definitely not firing on all cylinders this season) to keep the pressure on Liverpool and Arsenal (who won fairly comfortably against Newcastle) and Man Utd got beaten by a spirited Fulham team.
There's a knack to playing against 10 men, especially when you're leading, and Everton simply don't have it. And never had it either!

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Everton leapfrog up the table after their 10 points deduction is reduced to 6 points after appeal - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm Everton leapfrog up the table after their 10 points deduction is reduced to 6 points after appeal - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436
I was just reading that - certainly doesn't get them out of squeaky bum times though, especially with another penalty hanging over their heads. I guess Forrest will be getting more nervous by the day!

Still waiting for Man City to make a mockery of the entire system though!! Christ, they should be demoted and lose each and every trophy/honour they have received since their "indiscretions" began....

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:54 pm Everton leapfrog up the table after their 10 points deduction is reduced to 6 points after appeal - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68273436
I was just reading that - certainly doesn't get them out of squeaky bum times though, especially with another penalty hanging over their heads. I guess Forrest will be getting more nervous by the day!

Still waiting for Man City to make a mockery of the entire system though!! Christ, they should be demoted and lose each and every trophy/honour they have received since their "indiscretions" began....

:cheers: :cheers:
I'm surprised that they gave any back at all as it makes them look weak and irrational and it sets a precedent that these decisions are reduced on appeal.

That said they will claim those 4 points back plus more on the second charge.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

IF it’s done fairly then you can’t complain, but of course we all know that isn’t always the case!!
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:IF it’s done fairly then you can’t complain, but of course we all know that isn’t always the case!!
If it was done fairly then they shouldn't give us any back at all!

Reducing the points deduction simply proves they don't truly know what they're doing.

Of course I'd rather it was 6 than 10 but how do we know whether 6 is the correct figure? They're just making it up as they go along

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Surely the whole point of the appeal process is to identify any shortcomings in the application of the law - I can only assume this was the case, hence the reduction in the penalty that was originally imposed?
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm Surely the whole point of the appeal process is to identify any shortcomings in the application of the law - I can only assume this was the case, hence the reduction in the penalty that was originally imposed?
That would be my view.

Simply guessing of course, but I would imagine this decision could help them with regards to the potential of further points being deducted?
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

pharvey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:05 pm
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:35 pm Surely the whole point of the appeal process is to identify any shortcomings in the application of the law - I can only assume this was the case, hence the reduction in the penalty that was originally imposed?
That would be my view.

Simply guessing of course, but I would imagine this decision could help them with regards to the potential of further points being deducted?
I can't be bothered to look it up again, but there were two areas where the appeal was upheld, the rest they appealed against was unsuccessful. So if you actually look it up it does go into details. I thiink the Forest case is held soon, followed by Everton, all to done and dusted by April 8.

With over 100 charges of a breach of the rules, God only knows when Man City's case will ever be heard.

Still waiting to hear about Chelsea as well, although EUFA have already completed their work and fined the club, but part of the case against Chelsea was alread time barred, so I assume that is what the FA/PL are still looking at. The new owners, who disclosed these hidden payments, found as a result of a financial investigation, claim it does not impact on FFP rules! Although playing players fathers, as in the one case we know about (Christensen) is clearly not allowed.
Talk is cheap