Premier League 2023-24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Re: Premier League 2023-24

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Chelsea vs Tottenham day today. Watch us lose to the worst Chelsea team in recent memory. Our bogey team unfortunately.

Champion's League hopes all but a distant dream anywho. Already gonna happen anyway, but with the results last night Bundesliga officially got the 5th Champion's League spot along with Serie A.
How do they work that out?

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Dannie Boy wrote:Can’t remember, other than it didn’t include Rashford.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fyi....

"Just three players - Kobbie Mainoo, Alejandro Garnacho and Rasmus Hojlund - have reportedly been spared from the chopping block..... ''

thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Lost wrote:Chelsea vs Tottenham day today. Watch us lose to the worst Chelsea team in recent memory. Our bogey team unfortunately.

Champion's League hopes all but a distant dream anywho. Already gonna happen anyway, but with the results last night Bundesliga officially got the 5th Champion's League spot along with Serie A.
You were right

Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

More interesting to me which teams played was that a young Finn, Jimi Tauriainen made his debut for Chelsea. I've always watched with keen interest how the Finns do in PL, be it Jari Litmanen or Sami Hyypiä for Liverpool, Jussi Jääskeläinen, Antti Niemi, Aki Riihilahti or even Teemu Tainio for Tottenham. I have always hoped they'd do well in their respective clubs. :cheers:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

So Havertz initiates contact by the goalkeeper, by dragging his trailing foot along the ground, completely unnaturally, as clearly demonstrated by VAR, but the penalty is still given. Hmmmm. Isnt that cheating? And the game should have restarted with a free kick to Bournemouth and a yellow card for Havertz?
Talk is cheap
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

I can understand the bitterness of Chelsea and Spurs supporters. City will be champions so don't be so bitter.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:37 pm I can understand the bitterness of Chelsea and Spurs supporters. City will be champions so don't be so bitter.
Astonished, not bitter.

20 years a ref, its hard to switch off.

Here's another one for you. I wasn't surprised Bournemouths 'goal' didn't stand. The sequence of events was first, a pull back on the Bournemouth player, seondly, the foul on the keeper, which VAR confirmed, so the goal didn't stand. But it should have been a penalty to Bournemouth.
Talk is cheap
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bamboo Grove wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 9:37 pm I can understand the bitterness of Chelsea and Spurs supporters. City will be champions so don't be so bitter.
Way too defensive,BG! Arsenal were by far the better team and should have been well ahead by the time the first goal was scored.That doesn't change the fact that the 'foul' was manufactured by Havertz. It was an unnecessary challenge by the keeper - the ball was going nowhere - that Havertz turned into a foul. A better/more experienced keeper might not have stuck his foot out like that.

The sad fact is that this seems to have become accepted as part of the professional game these days. You only have to listen to the commentators and pundits. Had the referee not fallen for the obvious and denied the penalty, I wonder if VAR would have overruled him?

I don't see any bitterness anywhere, nor any reason for it: Havertz did nothing that most other players would do. Still very sad, though.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Tottenham on a roll... 🙈
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Lost wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 9:38 pm Tottenham on a roll... 🙈
Ham or cheese? :D
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:19 pm
Ham or cheese? :D
🙃

As long as we can beat Burnley and Sheffield United, and lose to City...

Chelsea found some good form since Poch was forced to change it up with the Enzo injury. Fallen into it accidentally or a Poch masterclass? :D
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Yep, rolling downhill unfortunately. :(

I'm not bitter, just bitterly disappointed.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:16 pm
Yep, rolling downhill unfortunately. :(

I'm not bitter, just bitterly disappointed.
Me too. But...

No left backs, Emerson can't fill in for that job. Maddison lost form since injury leaving us with no playmakers in the middle, just defensive midfielders. Porro returning from injury not found that form again yet. Lost the world's best striker...

Ange's first season's in charge of all his clubs have been up and down 'chaos' as such. Every time. This next window is huge and it's all on Levy and opening the purse a little.

I have trust in Ange, I don't have trust in Levy.

:cheers:
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Palace!

New manager bounce or what?!!

Cracking appointment he's been

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Now what is Manchester United going to do with Hag? Question of the year.

I think he's gone with season end but, I hope they don't try to recruit some "Star" name once again like Mourinho or similar. :banghead:

I think they did better with Solskjær, a lot better. Do the stats confirm that?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source