Ashes Test series

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: Ashes Test series

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 8:19 pm Oh gawd, surely not....?
It's called tempting bloody fate!! :banghead:

Michael Vaughan
Former England captain on BBC Test Match Special

"I am still very calm and confident. If Australia get Ben Stokes out in the next 10 minutes my demeanour might change!"

Moments later.......

WICKET
Stokes c Carey b Starc 13 (Eng 161-5)

"Oh no.

It's a horrible delivery from Starc, going way down leg side, and somehow Stokes manages to get some bat on it through to the keeper."
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Bloody Nora! I need to go for a lie down in a dark room... :laugh: :laugh:
:party: :dance: :clap:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:41 pm Bloody Nora! I need to go for a lie down in a dark room... :laugh: :laugh:
Don't forget to leave a sock on the (door) knob......

Congrats to England though - hopefully they can't take this through to the 4th Test and a Series Decider at the Oval.

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, I have to confess I saw the score of today's women's 1-day game with 15 overs to go and decided to watch. Glad I did! Come on, you girlies!! :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Not too sure it's been a great day for England, but they can't complain at 299-8. Perhaps Australia will be the happier of the 2, but if England get the 2 wickets early on and a good day with the bat...(?)
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Just before the brings the test to an early conclusion!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:39 am Not too sure it's been a great day for England, but they can't complain at 299-8. Perhaps Australia will be the happier of the 2, but if England get the 2 wickets early on and a good day with the bat...(?)
Not a great day for England, but a good day. And I think given the conditions and the number of batsmen who got 30-50 but didn't go on to make a good score, Australia will feel they missed out.

However... We need to get the last 2 batsmen out sharpish and then go on to make a good score - 400, perhaps more if poss - at a good rate, and get the Aussies in again, and out again. The problem is that if the weather forecast is correct, the final 2 days are likely to be a Manchester deluge. If I were (still) a betting man, my money would be on the draw.

I wonder if Jimmy Anderson has played his last test for England?
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Have to say, I'm both confused and concerned at this comment - more so the latter!! WTF is he talking about....? :shock: Maybe I'll understand more with the televised highlights later on....
MV-Comment.jpg
MV-Comment.jpg (27.42 KiB) Viewed 491 times
Anywho, England seem to be doing the business at 177-2 :thumb:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:04 pm Have to say, I'm both confused and concerned at this comment - more so the latter!! WTF is he talking about....? :shock:
Sometimes there's a spare helmet kept on the pitch for a fielder at short leg or silly mid off. When not in use it's usually on the ground just behind the keeper. If the ball hits it there's a penalty of (I think) 5 runs. That might be what he's referring to.

EDIT: Just had a look at the BBC page, and that's exactly what he meant. The 'skilled shot' comment was a joke.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Well, another great day's cricket, this time very much in England's favour. If we could guarantee 2 of the 3 remaining days play England would win this hands down. Sadly, I still can't see any cricket being played over the weekend. A crying shame. Fucking Manchester...
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:52 pm
pharvey wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:04 pm Have to say, I'm both confused and concerned at this comment - more so the latter!! WTF is he talking about....? :shock:
Sometimes there's a spare helmet kept on the pitch for a fielder at short leg or silly mid off. When not in use it's usually on the ground just behind the keeper. If the ball hits it there's a penalty of (I think) 5 runs. That might be what he's referring to.

EDIT: Just had a look at the BBC page, and that's exactly what he meant. The 'skilled shot' comment was a joke.
Well that clarifies things!! :shock: :wink:
dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:38 am Well, another great day's cricket, this time very much in England's favour. If we could guarantee 2 of the 3 remaining days play England would win this hands down. Sadly, I still can't see any cricket being played over the weekend. A crying shame. ***** Manchester...
Well, at least they've proved a point I guess!! Any point in declaring early on tomorrow?

:cheers: :cheers:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

pharvey wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 2:01 am Any point in declaring early on tomorrow?
So much depends on the weather. Rain is forecast in the morning, so it might delay the start. With only 4 wickets down and with Brook and Stokes in and Bairstow next up, whatever time they start England will look to score quickly. They're 70-odd runs ahead now. If they could get a lead of 200 runs or close to it by lunch I reckon they'll put the Aussies in and try to get all 10 wickets.

But I repeat, so much depends on the weather, and you can bet the Aussies will slow things up as much as possible, hoping for a draw.

Whatever happens in this match, and the Ashes as a whole, I think this new England approach has been a huge success.

Compare international rugby in the 70s, with forwards slogging through the mud for a 3-3 draw, with the modern fast, entertaining, attacking, handling game, and you have a similar scenario with the current approach to test cricket, even if it's only England at the moment.
This is the way
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, Bairstow must be a tad miffed falling short of his century by just a single!

England 592 All Out and 275 ahead - with rain to come(?)..... Aus will certainly be playing for the draw, and I guess it'll be very brave to bet against it happening :roll:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I thought Stokes should have declared at lunch, but I'm so glad he didn't. A hugely entertaining knock from Bairstow, and yes, very unlucky not to get his century. And as I type, Wood has just caused the cheating Aussie barstewards Australia to lose their first wicket.

But I'm still concerned that it will take a miracle to get this match finished.
This is the way
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Much to my surprise and delight, they've just started play! Let's hope the rain stays away.
This is the way