What's happened to the milk supply?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
Big Boy

Re: What's happened to the milk supply?

Post by Big Boy »

Strangely enough, until today, most of our milk needs had been met mainly from Lotus's or our local 7-11s. At the same time HHTel was getting zilch from the same shops. I agree, the shortage is easing (without the expected price hike), but it still exists in places.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It should be very clear that the cows have been on their August holidays. :duck:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Aug 23, 2023 10:12 am As I've been saying all along, it's luck of the draw. Mrs BB has just come back from a tour of local 7-11s. She found one bottle of white top Meiji. So the shortage is still with us.
As you say, it's all about timing. Daily visits to one of my local 7/11's have found the shelves fully stocked. Just lucky I guess.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

There shouldn't be price hikes because as I understand it, the price is controlled with the last increase sometime last year.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't know if this is related to last month's shortage or if it's a Lotus's thing. Down at Lotus's today, they had every type of milk except just plain boring milk. My preference is plain boring milk.

It's a crazy situation when you have a bloody great supermarket, but you have to go to 7-11 to buy what you actually want.

:rant:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

What is plain boring milk - the full fat 4% blue top (in most brands)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Makro always has plenty although in the larger containers. The noted absence is Meiji.
Dutch Mill Selected seems to be the one most commonly found on a 'hunt'

It does appear to be 'hit and miss'. Some days I'm lucky in the first 7/11. In contrast, yesterday the first EIGHT shops had none but I managed to get a supply in number 9 and 10.

We get through a lot of milk what with cereal breakfasts for the kids and the glass or two taken through the day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:17 pm What is plain boring milk - the full fat 4% blue top (in most brands)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, blue top

Points 48; Position 20
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

HHTel wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:21 pm Makro always has plenty although in the larger containers. The noted absence is Meiji.
Dutch Mill Selected seems to be the one most commonly found
on a 'hunt'

It does appear to be 'hit and miss'. Some days I'm lucky in the first 7/11. In contrast, yesterday the first EIGHT shops had none but I managed to get a supply in number 9 and 10.

We get through a lot of milk what with cereal breakfasts for the kids and the glass or two taken through the day.
Really ... seems to be the opposite down here/PKK, 1hr ish south of HH. Meiji, no prob, Dutch Mill, my preference, harder to find.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

We went to Makro HH yesterday and although they had plenty of varieties of blue top full fat milk, not a drop of the white top 0% milk that we prefer for tea. My wife managed to find a single 1 litre bottle in Cha Am this morning, so clearly still a shortage of some types of milk.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Dannie Boy wrote:We went to Makro HH yesterday and although they had plenty of varieties of blue top full fat milk, not a drop of the white top 0% milk that we prefer for tea. My wife managed to find a single 1 litre bottle in Cha Am this morning, so clearly still a shortage of some types of milk.
Recently makro seems to be lacking in CP-Meiji milk products, especially 0%, but full of a brand I'd never noticed before - Nong Pho (only full fat).
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

hhinner wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2023 9:04 am
Dannie Boy wrote:We went to Makro HH yesterday and although they had plenty of varieties of blue top full fat milk, not a drop of the white top 0% milk that we prefer for tea. My wife managed to find a single 1 litre bottle in Cha Am this morning, so clearly still a shortage of some types of milk.
Recently makro seems to be lacking in CP-Meiji milk products, especially 0%, but full of a brand I'd never noticed before - Nong Pho (only full fat).
The had Meiji Blue top yesterday and I bought two 2l bottles, although as you say, they had Nong Pho and other brands of full fat - no zero fat and I don’t think they had any half fat either!!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

When I boughtt milk in Gourmet Market on Monday just gone, I was surprised to see the shelves virtually empty again. But luckily, as I prefer the less popular 'semi-skimmed' or low fat milk, there was plenty of the Meiji brand available. More telling was that they had put the signs back up warning of the low milk supply.
Talk is cheap
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Last night when I visited my local 7/11, I was told as soon as the door was open "Sorry, no milk. Should have a delivery in about an hour. Leave me your phone number and I'll call you."
Sure enough, just after midnight I got the call. Bought enough for a few days!
This morning I went in for something else and the milk shelves were empty!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I don't really buy milk in Thailand but I walked past the milk fridge in Lotus MV about half an hour ago and it seemed to be fully stocked.