Football (not Premier League)

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Football (not Premier League)

Post by Lost »

Dortmund beat Bayern 2-0 and Leverkusen maintain their status as Europe's only unbeaten team with two late goals.

13 points off the top, the league is gone for Bayern.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

The last time Bayern didn't win the league, Harry Kane was on loan at Millwall. :shock:
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

The problem of chasing trophies🤣
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Hoo-bloody-ray!!!

Having Southgate's apprentice as head coach, has really turned me against Southgate as well. Plymouth were well placed in their consolidation season when he took over. They're now looking favourites for relegation on current form. Haven't scored at Home Park for 5 matches. Probably too late to save us, but good riddance.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68709008
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just to add, I'm not one who believes in a rapid turnover of coaches, but this guy has taken it from the training ground to the classroom - it has been a disaster. Footballers play football, and shouldn't be sitting behind a desk. If football was all about theory, many of us would be playing in the Premiership earning stupid money. There is also a requirement to be able to kick a ball.

In 3 months he's lost the dressing room, lost the fans and has most likely lost Championship status.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

From what you’ve just said I think you’d be surprised at how many teams use the classroom as well as the training ground these days - it’s all multi-dimensional trying to get that extra half a % performance - just at Plymouth it sounds like they need 50%!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Plymouth had a winning formula, dragging themselves out of the gutter after the Japanese sugar daddy walked.

Against all of the odds, they have risen from the ashes and over a period of several years, clawed their way back into the Championship, filling Home Park week after week, and proportionately grew an away following second to none. Plymouth Argyle were a small club, with outstanding management, and quite a future.

In just 3 months, with his classroom tactics, many years sterling work has been undone. I don't expect survival this season, but I hope they can regain the forward momentum they had up to Christmas 2023.

Points 48; Position 21
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think my question is across all football, which is why I'm asking here, but my example(s) is taken from Thai football, which I watch a lot, live.

Week after week, I see scenes like this, and often worse. The Khon Kaen keeper is no stranger to the centre circle.
Goal.jpg
Goal.jpg (60.17 KiB) Viewed 128 times
What you can't see is at the edge of the opposite penalty area is Ratchaburi's keeper with ball in hand. He has a very accurate, long kick. As the opposition's goal is empty, why doesn't he take a shot?

I think this is happening across all levels of football these days, with the keeper acting as a sweeper.

Is it out of respect for the opposing goalie? Is there a new rule saying they can't do it?

Ratchaburi's keeper is just as bad.

Points 48; Position 21
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

It’s not easy to kick from the penalty area and score - a few have managed it from just inside their own half but not the penalty area!!

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I seem to remember the likes of Pat Jennings doing it back in the day, and a decent modern keeper usually has a mighty kick.

[Edit] I've just checked - he did it against Man Utd

Points 48; Position 21
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:44 pm I seem to remember the likes of Pat Jennings doing it back in the day, and a decent modern keeper usually has a mighty kick.
Pat Jennings :bow: :bow: ... <sigh> ... and we let him go on a free transfer... to ARSENAL!!! :guns: :cuss:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote:I seem to remember the likes of Pat Jennings doing it back in the day, and a decent modern keeper usually has a mighty kick.

[Edit] I've just checked - he did it against Man Utd

Yes it’s been done as you’ve pointed out, but quite infrequently - there are very few other examples, although I did find one more recently in 2013 between Southampton and Stoke City

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I just feel modern keepers should give it a go - practice a bit on the training ground, and if they're coming close, give it a go. Kicking from ball in hand is a lot easier than dead or rolling ball. I think there are a few keepers in the Thai League alone that could achieve it. If they can do it, I've no doubt some of the harder kickers in the Premiership could do it easily. These keepers are abandoning their charge, and should be punished.

Balls are a lot lighter these days, compared to the Pat Jennings era.

Points 48; Position 21
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Just as an aside to the above, does anyone here follow 'StuntPegg', who is a professional northerner of the female variety (actually, she's Italian), who makes great videos, posted on youtube about football. Generally to do with the North, and generally to do with the lower levels of football. But not always.

I really enjoy her work and highly recommmend you take a look.

Here's three examples:

Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Plymouth gave their survival hopes a boost by beating now relegated Rotherham!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68691286