Champion's League 23/24

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Champion's League 23/24

Post by Lost »

Newcastle get the group of death. With PSG, Dortmund and Milan... yeah, bar a miracle they aren't getting out that group. Bayern vs United another cracking tie to look forward to also. Don't see United getting out of that group either if I'm honest. Arsenal and City will be disappointed if they don't top their groups. Should be fairly straightforward for them.

20230831_180127.jpg
(181.89 KiB) Downloaded 827 times
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Champion's League 23/24

Post by Lost »

Whatever happens in group F, the Geordies are gonna be absolutely relishing this. Some of the best fans. Trip to the San Siro. Playing in front of Dortmund's yellow wall. Mbappe and Co. And bringing them all to St. James' Park.

They were only in the Championship 6-7 years ago and, until last season, a bottom half of the league prem team.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

Lost wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:07 am Newcastle get the group of death. With PSG, Dortmund and Milan... yeah, bar a miracle they aren't getting out that group.
I'm not so sure, I don't think any of those teams will be thinking this is a cakewalk.
Lost wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:35 am Whatever happens in group F, the Geordies are gonna be absolutely relishing this. Some of the best fans. Trip to the San Siro. Playing in front of Dortmund's yellow wall. Mbappe and Co. And bringing them all to St. James' Park.
Absolutely. I'm hoping Spurs fans will be back there in the next year or two.
This is the way
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dtaai-maai wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:25 am Absolutely. I'm hoping Spurs fans will be back there in the next year or two.
Fingers crossed. Must admit a bit depressing seeing all those juicy fixtures with Spurs not being involved. :(

I've still got Bayern and Harry to cheer on mind.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Man Utd could quite easily finish second, so I think they’ll get through to the knockout stage!! Although it will be difficult for Newcastle, they’ll be difficult to beat at home - could be interesting?
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

I find Arsenal's group funny. If spurs were in the competition, I could crack a joke saying they've made a Europa League group to make Arsenal feel at home. But we're not, so I can't. :(
sateeb
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sateeb »

Dannie Boy wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:27 am Man Utd could quite easily finish second, so I think they’ll get through to the knockout stage!! Although it will be difficult for Newcastle, they’ll be difficult to beat at home - could be interesting?
Given how they have been playing and the attitude of the majority of players they would be hard pressed to finish 2nd in the lower football leagues :laugh: :laugh:
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― George Carlin
“The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.” -George Orwell.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Harry Maguire scores the only goal in Utd’s win last night and goalkeeper Onana saves an injury time penalty!!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

2 more for Harry today. That makes it 26 goals and assists in 15 games. How we've started so well this season, after losing the best player in the world, is astonishing.

The man will get his ballon d'or next year. May not even be close.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Also on the up is St. Marcus. He now has as many red cards as he does goals this season (1).
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Lol, keeps getting better and better for the Rashfords, bless their hearts. Brother and agent arrested.

Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Half an hour left, if they can hold on, Newcastle will go through to the knockout stages from the group of death! This after thrashing PSG at St. James' Park...

As I type, there should have been 2 equalisers!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Outrageous penalty given against Newcastle in the 97th minute. Off the chest onto the elbow - not a penalty.

But Newcastle were lucky not to concede 4 or 5 in the second half. Shame a dodgy decision was the equaliser.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

Here's the "penalty" in question. Video will be deleted for copyright shortly I'm sure.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Obviously no Newcastle supporters on the Forum - last nights draw against PSG could cost them dearly - I didn’t see the game just the few minutes of highlights, but the penalty in the last minute of added time compounds the joke that VAR has become - the only way to avoid such decisions is to introduce a new type of shirt that has no arms!!