An Unplanned Few Days Just North of Cha-Am - Photo Report

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: An Unplanned Few Days Just North of Cha-Am - Photo Report

Post by Dannie Boy »

I think my eye was drawn to the price of the Indian food, and the Sunday lunch which looked higher than the popular restaurants in HH, but the reviews are very complimentary so it could be justified? We don’t eat out that often but I’m sure I’ll give this place a try as it isn’t too far for us being close to Cha Am.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I see what you mean. Poppadoms and Bhajis are quite expensive, but I think the mains are quite reasonable, although I normally buy lamb, and they are serving chicken, so maybe not.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 6

10 September 2023

My back was a little better today, so thankfully one of the quicker back spasm bouts.

Breakfast was a joke this morning. The place was heaving again, but no buffet. It was the a la carte menu, with one cook and one server. OK, the food was hot when it eventually came, but I had to nip back to the room to shave twice because the waitress kept tripping over my beard.

On the positive side, it is lovely to see this failing hotel come to life. The swimming pools were alive with guests, sunbeds were well utilized and even a few people on the beach. I bet its different tomorrow morning, when the Bangkokians will have gone home.

We decided to take the short drive to Chao Samran Beach for lunch. When we arrived, it looked quite run down (I’d been several times before, but it was certainly worse than I remembered), but apart from that, there was nowhere to park. I simply turned around, and turned left before the main road back to the hotel, and went exploring. This was a narrow strip of land between the main road and the sea.

I drove for a couple of miles, when we came upon what looked like a series of salas on the beach. I asked my wife if she was ready for lunch, and she confirmed she was. I drove on to the beach, where there was plenty of parking. I eventually found out I was at Had Hua Tan (Hua Tan Beach).
IMG_8851.jpg
(196.38 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
It was actually a lovely spot. The beach was clean, dozens of very clean salas,
IMG_8841.jpg
(206.78 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8842.jpg
(216.23 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8843.jpg
(225.3 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8844.jpg
(195.31 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8845.jpg
(235.46 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8846.jpg
(169.33 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8848.jpg
(232.43 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8854.jpg
(225.43 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
IMG_8855.jpg
(215.33 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
and a lot of beachside restaurants.
IMG_8853.jpg
(186.59 KiB) Downloaded 1733 times
I’d never heard of it before, but it was truly a little gem.

I rarely eat at lunchtime, but my wife ordered a large dish of prepared mussels (so many she couldn’t finish them), with loads of bits to put on them and a minced pork omelette. We had a large bottle of Pepsi, which we shared, and a bucket of ice. It cost 20฿ a head to sit in the very clean sala, and I was very surprised when the total bill was only 220฿.

Excellent value for money, and I find it hard to believe that I’d never heard of the place.

When we left, I continued in the direction I had been exploring, and found myself back on the main road less than half a mile further on. When I got on to the main road, I was amazed that such a little gem was not even signposted. I have made a mental note to return if I’m in the area again.

In the evening, we had a few supplies to get, so we decided to visit Cha-Am’s new shopping mall. Whilst there we ate at MK, and then treated ourselves to only our 2nd Swensens ice-cream since 2017. By the time we finished, we were so sugared up, we remembered why it was only our 2nd in 6 years.

At home, my daughter-in-law has decided walls, doors and skirting boards need doing in living room and our bedroom. She and my son would work all day tomorrow, and into the night to get it complete before we return.

...................../to be continued

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 7

11 September 2023

My back spasms were back with a vengeance. During the night, it actually took me about 2 minutes to bend sufficiently to flush the toilet. I was hurting a lot. Getting up this morning was just as painful. However, gradual movement saw me loosen up, slightly. We’d heard the builders at home had not encountered the expected living room snags, and had caught up. I was hurting so badly, I suggested foregoing the extra night, and going home a day early, but my wife basically said we’ve paid for it, we’re staying (I think she enjoys eating out 3 times a day). I warned her that I wouldn’t be going very far today.

Breakfast is served just over the road from our room, but it was a real struggle walking there. As expected, we are the hotel’s only guests again. Breakfast was a la carte, but unlike yesterday when we were 17th in the queue with 1 cook and 1 server, this morning there was no queue, 1 cook and 4 servers (how does this place stay afloat?). In addition to the restaurant staff, there are always 2 clerks on duty at reception, one guy letting us in and out of the resort, a coven of room maids and gardeners keeping the grounds spick and span.

As you’d expect, breakfast was served hot again, which is always a bonus in Thailand.

After breakfast, my early morning Defelene was starting to kick in, and I managed a short walk to the beach. To my surprise, there were 2 people on the large (tide was out) beach. However, they weren’t holiday makers, they seemed to be scavenging for something in the sand.

I made my way back to the room, to decide what delights I’d treat us to today. I wasn’t going to go far, but we have to get out of the room to give the coven chance to clean it (it wasn’t cleaned again yesterday, just the usual 2 bottles of water, 2 towels and a toilet roll left outside the door). My wife has suggested we go to Cha-Am Beach for breakfast – der……… you’ve just eaten breakfast! That aside, with my back, if I sat in a deckchair, I’d never get out again. It’s always a problem when staying in a place on your own doorstep – you’ve already done it all.

My first choice for today was the Khok Setthi Historical Site.
IMG_8863.jpg
(273.67 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
Every time I’ve left the hotel and headed towards Cha-Am, I’ve seen a sign for a Historical Site. I thought I’d go to have a look. I put it on to Google Maps, pressed start, and received the message, Site Closed. I’d done a little bit of research on my laptop, and it seemed to be in a field, so it was probably accessible anyway. Off we went.

When we arrived, it was in fact a totally open field, no fences, nothing – result. I wandered around snapping my photos.
IMG_8856.jpg
(244.63 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8857.jpg
(406.63 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8858.jpg
(353.05 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8859.jpg
(362.48 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8860.jpg
(279.65 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8861.jpg
(284.86 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8862.jpg
(401.73 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8864.jpg
IMG_8864.jpg (185.38 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_8865.jpg
(362.67 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8866.jpg
(412.84 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
As I went on to the field, I’d attracted quite a large pack of wild dogs, who became very loud because of my presence. I was walking away from them, and they weren’t following, so I thought no problem. I basically walked the perimeter of the field, and then realised the pack of dogs were between me and my car. Dog whisperer time. Actually, my first reaction was to look around me, and there were quite a few large sticks on the ground. Several thoughts went quickly through my mind:

• Was this the reason the site was closed?
• Should I grab one of the large sticks?
• Had the dogs eaten the previous owners of the large sticks?
• Should I walk back the way I had come?

Dogs don’t actually scare me, and I decided to trust my own voice to bluff my way through. I returned their snarls, and shiny white sharp teeth with gentle talking. As usual, it confused the hell out of them. They were most certainly not used to such a reaction. I got through them unscathed, but knowing dogs, they were more likely to me attack from behind. Just one was following me. I kept walking, very aware of where he was, but made it back to the car unscathed.

Next stop was somewhere I had been to many years ago, Khao Nang Phanthurat Forest Park.
IMG_8867.jpg
IMG_8867.jpg (172.89 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_8868.jpg
(365.32 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
It was always a very pretty spot, and my research had shown it as very close to Khok Setthi Historical Site. My satnav told me it was 10 minutes away, but then I realised it was telling me to walk. Why walk when I have a car and an aching back? I drove, and it was a minute away.

As we approached it was as if a rainbow had been painted in the road. Gay Pride?
IMG_8892.jpg
(313.98 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
I’ve no idea what it was all about, very colourful, but out of character with the natural beauty I had gone to see. Other visitors were drawn to it to take selfies. Yes, I took a photo, but it didn’t excite me that much. I couldn’t get it out of my mind that it was a trap. People were stood in the road taking their selfies. Their kids were running freely around them. Where else would you stand in the middle of the road to take a selfie? Bonkers – I took my photo from behind a roadside fence. Thai Health and Safety.

First impressions, this place was still very pretty, and worth a visit.
IMG_8869.jpg
(394.41 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8871.jpg
(398.98 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8872.jpg
(366.58 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8873.jpg
(428.06 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
It had been improved 10-fold since I last visited. It was even wheelchair friendly(ish). All of the footpaths were brilliant until one point where there was a tree growing right through the middle of the path
IMG_8881.jpg
IMG_8881.jpg (197.46 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
– LOL, this was so very Thailand.

I only stayed on the lower path because that is all my back would allow me to do.
IMG_8874.jpg
(368.08 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8875.jpg
(291.91 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8876.jpg
IMG_8876.jpg (162.71 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_8877.jpg
IMG_8877.jpg (147.9 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_8878.jpg
(326.72 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8879.jpg
(347.29 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8880.jpg
(335.06 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8882.jpg
(371.66 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8883.jpg
(438.8 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8884.jpg
IMG_8884.jpg (155.81 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
IMG_8885.jpg
(398.17 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8886.jpg
(333.89 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
IMG_8887.jpg
(395.22 KiB) Downloaded 1683 times
However, I know from previous visits there are some fantastic nature trails here and they are very much worth a visit. If anybody is inspired enough to visit, you will need solid footwear. Parts of the trails are very difficult/exhausting to get through.

My back would not permit the wheelchair today, so my wife sat and waited at a nice little coffee shop. The facilities here, compared with years ago are fantastic, and also include a visitor centre. Such a beautiful place. There were several people with young kids having picnics. Well worth a return visit.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 8

Final visit today was a return to Wat Tham Chaeng, which I called into on my return from Samut Songkhram a few weeks earlier. Last time it was basically a building site. Although there was still work going on, the grand opening was 4 days ago. Monks were now in abundance, and the area around the Naga image area was now complete.

It was so much nicer now the landscaping around the Naga was finished, and proper staircases were in place. There was a wheelchair ramp, but I wouldn’t fancy taking a loaded wheelchair up and down due to the steepness. The ramp was also one-way traffic only i.e. no room for passing.
IMG_8895.jpg
IMG_8895.jpg (112.82 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_8896.jpg
IMG_8896.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_8899.jpg
IMG_8899.jpg (124.17 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_8900.jpg
IMG_8900.jpg (145.82 KiB) Viewed 2020 times
IMG_8901.jpg
(248.78 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8903.jpg
(366.35 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8904.jpg
(298.03 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8905.jpg
(294.03 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8906.jpg
(256.29 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8902.jpg
(246.09 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
Visitor traffic was very heavy, and when 4 tour buses arrived together, the parking area became gridlocked with nobody able to get in or out for about 30 minutes. Methinks this is going to be a big attraction for some time, and somebody needs to sort out traffic management as a matter of priority. However, Thailand being Thailand, delays getting in and out will probably remain a feature of this attraction for years to come.

We had completed the day’s restricted tour, and it was time for my wife’s lunch (I rarely bother). She decided she’d like a poolside picnic. I stopped at a chicken stall on the way back to the hotel, and she bought chicken, chicken liver and sticky rice, and had a feast beside the deserted pool.

Lunch complete, we went back to the (uncleaned) room for the afternoon (the coven of room maids actually turned up at 4. My wife took the water and sent them on their way, room not cleaned). At the front of our room we have the swimming pools/sea. At the back of our room we have the lake (it’s tidal and looks more like a river to me). Whatever it is, I’ve been watching for days, looking for monitor lizards in the lake/river, which I was sure had to be there. What a treat we had in store.

I glanced outside, and there was a small monitor lizard swimming down the river. I excitedly called my wife. We then watched as it climbed up the riverbank right outside our window. Then, it decided to dive into our water tank (sorry, didn’t photograph the dive). It was in there about a minute, I was jokingly telling my wife to check the bathroom to see if its head was sticking out of the toilet bowl. It then it climbed out again. It was only a baby at about 5’ long, but nice to watch anyway. It must have entertained us for about 10 minutes.
IMG_8925.jpg
(189.42 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8926.jpg
(190.44 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8928.jpg
(349.41 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8929.jpg
(398.81 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8930.jpg
(385.1 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
IMG_8931.jpg
(338.35 KiB) Downloaded 1616 times
Evening food started as a bit of a disaster. We’d driven past a restaurant that had looked nice a few times over the last few days. We decided to try it this evening. I pulled into the car park, and we could see a lot of tables, but nobody sat at them. This was prime meal time – was there something wrong with this restaurant? We were there, so decided to go for it. We sat at our chosen table, and went through the menu. 100% seafood. I don’t eat seafood. We offered our apologies and left – I think we might have dodged a bullet there.

Where next? We’d enjoyed Aroy on the 2nd evening, so made our way back there, forgetting about the Crab & Squid Festival in Cha-Am. We were about 90 minutes later today than our previous visit, and Cha-Am was manic. No street parking within about a mile of the restaurant. We’d seen an enterprising sign fairly close charging 60฿ to use their driveway. I managed to get back there through crazy traffic, and we paid our 60฿.

Food was good again. We ate, vacated the guy’s driveway, and he immediately went out trying to sell his space again.

The rest of the evening was spent just watching TV, looking forward to the morning’s breakfast before driving back to see our re-vamped home.

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Part 9

12 September 2023

I received a message at 1:30am telling me that my son and daughter-in-law were too tired, and were calling it a day. No problem, they had been hard at it decorating since early yesterday, and will finish their work later today.

This morning was just like any other – over to the restaurant for breakfast. The difference today was there was no server. We could see 3 people in the kitchen, but they weren’t going to acknowledge us. Fair enough, we were in 2 minds whether or not to tip them anyway. They had made the decision for us. My wife usually tips hotel restaurant staff and room maids. This morning’s kitchen staff refusing to acknowledge us, and the room being cleaned just once in 5 days meant the money stayed firmly in her purse.

After about 10 minutes, the server turned up, and we had our breakfast. It was then back to the room waiting to check out, before the short drive home.

We arrived home at 11:30am.

Summary……….

We were mainly in non-tourist Thailand again, which is reflected by the costs (approximate):

Fuel 1,000฿
Hotel 5,800฿
Food 4,145฿
Total 10,945฿, (£270) which in my opinion is very reasonable for 2 people away for 6 days/5 nights.

A great place to stay Monday to Friday for a few chilled days. Because of the area, it was not expensive. Beach is clean and quiet. Plenty of space in the pools. During the weekends, it becomes a lot livelier, and feels more like a holiday resort. Rooms are spacious. I must say that during the week I was regularly wondering how the resort was staying alive with no punters. OK, it came alive at weekends, but was the weekend traffic enough to keep the resort alive? I honestly doubt it, but I guess wages will be at a minimum in this area.

It was quite sad to see how the area had never taken off, with so many empty/abandoned projects. I was actually shocked to see the demise of Puk Tien. It had always been quite run down, but what I saw that day was shocking.

Around the area there is plenty to see and do. We didn’t have any agenda, just drive, and stop if we thought something looked nice. Some nice new finds like Had Hua Tan, and some long-term venues were knocked off my ‘to do’ list, such as The Anglers Rest. I’d driven past salt flats numerous times in the past, but this was the first time I’d stopped to have a close look at what was going on. Local restaurants were generally cheap, when compared to Hua Hin.

Driving in the area was a dream. Such light traffic, apart from the night I forgot there was a festival on and drove into Cha-Am.

This trip wasn’t planned, but was very successful. Hopefully, the dust avoidance plan has prevented a few days in Hua Hin Hospital. Would I go again? Most definitely.

Now some bad news, I anticipate going under the knife next month for my cataract operation, so October’s planned trip will have to be postponed until the following month. However, I’m going on a Thai tour bus to Uthai Thani for the footie this weekend. Thai tour buses don’t usually travel A to B, they normally stop at every known attraction en-route. I’ll be taking my little point and shoot, so I’ll snap away at every stop. The journey to Uthai Thani from Ratchaburi should take about 4 hours. Our journey time will be 11 hours, so I guess they’re planning a lot of stops. I’ve no idea what to expect.

...................../Until next time

Points 48; Position 20
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Having had cataract ops in both eyes by Dr. Pairat, I can say that it's no big deal. The op takes around 5 mins or less. There is a procedure before the op, eye wash, pills etc.
Following the op you wear an eye patch just until the next day.
I found zero after effects. In fact I went from 'surgery' to my local for a celebratory drink.

After removing the eye patch the following day, apart from my sight being a thousand percent better I found no other differences.

It certainly didn't affect my normal routines.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not worried whatsoever, but after my first eye op, I know there were several regular follow-ups. I'd rather have a cataract operation than a check-up at the dentist (2 days time BTW).

Until I have dates, it is too difficult to plan.

Points 48; Position 20
alanr

Post by alanr »

Great. Read and pics . Thanks. Could you live in cha am ?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

When I moved to Thailand, my original plan was to move to Cha-Am. Like most places outside of Hua Hin it is generally cheaper living. I even saw some very nice looking developments going on when we drove to The Anglers Rest, although central Cha-Am is mainly town houses, which was my chosen mode of living at that time.

It is even better now compared to when I moved as they have since built a Makro and a Lotus's.

The only reason I chose Hua Hin over Cha-Am was to be close to family already living in Hua Hin.

Yes, I could most definitely live in Cha-Am, but not in the area our resort was - too quiet/rural for me.

Points 48; Position 20
Taf in Cha-am
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Taf in Cha-am »

Thanks, BB, for the fantastic summary of your adventures.

I'm a longtime annual visitor to Cha-am, staying at one of the few tall condo buildings north of Cha-am/the pier. My family bought a condo in the building at the start of Covid, and I spent a full month there in July getting to know the place a bit better.

I can speak to the upper climb at Khao Nang Phanthurat--well worth it. I went on a day that it was mostly sunny with some good winds, which made it a pleasant walk up in the hills. I'm not in the greatest of shape, so I huffed and puffed a bit, but it wasn't too demanding for those whose knees are OK and whose backs are not in spasm. Just be sure to bring water--a liter or so per person, minimum, especially, for the 90 minute loop up and around. Signs are helpful in giving a sense of distances, if not the altitude gains/drops. Wear sturdy shoes and consider long pants, especially for the hike down when the rough rocks can scratch.

I was there during a busy weekend and ran into only two couples who were taking the upper trail, one of which turned back after the first landmark. There is also a short (2 minute) up-and-down to a nice lookout on the trail leading to the upper trail. English and Thai guidebooks/info available at the main visitors center.

I enjoyed "joining" you for your trip. You've inspired me to share some of my "hidden gem" favorites next trip.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Taf, do you know what the rainbow road in Khao Nang Phanthurat is all about? IMHO it is unnecessary graffiti in a place of beauty.

I will look forward to reading your reports.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, very interesting BB, I think I'll have a visit to Had Hua Tan for lunch soon, I didn't know about that area.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It was so much better than Chao Samran Beach, and more importantly, plenty of free parking, plenty of beachside cafes and plenty of seating. I didn't eat, but when I saw what my wife got, I was very impressed. I was even more impressed with the bill.

It isn't signposted, but must be the last turning before the Chao Samran roundabout. Alternatively, take the last right turn before you get to Chao Samran Beach.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Yes, thanks, I've found that Zeed cafe in your picture on Google maps so hopefully should be able to get there.