New deposit rules for banks

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
PeteC

Re: New deposit rules for banks

Post by PeteC »

caller wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:46 pm .......I am in Bkk until tomorrow and haven't got that with me. But I did the check the app - which tells me I need to verify my ID to get access to the certificate - but under personal ID and then citizen ID number / User ID, it does use the 13 digit number.....
If you hit the "Health Certificate" button in the app you'll see "Vaccination for Covid-19" as the second item. Hit that and you should see your certificate. I didn't need to verify my identity to open that. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

My pink card and vaccine certificate use the same 13 digit ID number, that I was previously told is the same as the Tax TIN number!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:55 pm
caller wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 3:46 pm .......I am in Bkk until tomorrow and haven't got that with me. But I did the check the app - which tells me I need to verify my ID to get access to the certificate - but under personal ID and then citizen ID number / User ID, it does use the 13 digit number.....
If you hit the "Health Certificate" button in the app you'll see "Vaccination for Covid-19" as the second item. Hit that and you should see your certificate. I didn't need to verify my identity to open that. :cheers:
You're right! It's a bit slow and I was too impatient!
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 10:48 am Those without a Yellow Book and/or Pink ID card have a Gov assigned TIN if they've had Covid vaccine here. It's on your Thai Chana vaccine app with your personal details, and on your vaccine certificate(s). It's a valid ID number and points only to you in the Thai Gov system.

In fact, I now have 2. 1 with my Yellow Book, and 1 they automatically assigned with the vaccine as they didn't ask me for a Yellow Book/Thai Pink ID.
A TIN is a "Tax Identification Number". I have a driving licence number which points only to me in the government system, but it's not a TIN.

They used your pink card number for your Covid ID, so I suppose they will be linked, but I don't have a pink card, I guess my Covid ID stands alone.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Somewhere above in the thread the assumption was made that a TIN is the same as a foreigners Thai ID number. I guess not correct. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:14 pm Somewhere above in the thread the assumption was made that a TIN is the same as a foreigners Thai ID number. I guess not correct. :cheers:
I was told they’re the same - can’t remember by whom and how accurate but I’m sure someone will eventually confirm one way or another!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I thought Motyduke said that his bank said we would need both.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

PeteC wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:14 pm Somewhere above in the thread the assumption was made that a TIN is the same as a foreigners Thai ID number. I guess not correct. :cheers:
Actually, that is correct. Although the Revenue Department website says, "A taxpayer identification number is issued by the Revenue Department and comprises 10 digits," it also goes on to say the following:

"However, a taxpayer who is an individual or a payer of income who is an individual is not required to apply for a TIN if he has and uses a personal identification number (PIN) in accordance with the civilian registration law. He can use his PIN instead of TIN for tax return filing purposes."

https://www.rd.go.th/english/21987.html

So for all Thai citizens or for anyone who has acquired a 13 digit personal ID number by whatever means that ID number is also their TIN.
Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Yesterday I received my bank statement from Lloyds International with a message printed on it saying I have to ring them and quote my TIN.

Today I received a letter from Santander International re International Tax Compliance stating from 2024 I will be a Reportable Jurisdiction Person for CRS puposes and have to complete a Self Certification form ......including my TIN.
So I will make a trip to the revenue office to try to obtain the form and see if the lady is more helpful than when I asked a few years ago. If successful in obtaining the form then a trip to immigration for proof of address letter.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

There’s no doubt about it, living here is becoming increasingly difficult with reporting requirements, although I dare say it’s similar in many countries.

Pagey
Legend
Legend

Post by Pagey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:35 pm There’s no doubt about it, living here is becoming increasingly difficult with reporting requirements, although I dare say it’s similar in many countries.

Yep, my mate living in Malaysia got the same Santander letter yesterday.
'If you didn't have a wasted youth you wasted your youth'

Man in pub circa 1987.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Sounds like it’s originating from the UK banking sector in conjunction with HMRC - I had to provide my TIN to HSBC about 6-7 years ago - I gave them the number from my pink Thai ID card and they went away happy and I haven’t heard from them since.
musungu
Professional
Professional

Post by musungu »

I find this whole issue confusing - so as I pay my UK taxes and have the usual tax return to complete each year and then later on receive the HMRC tax calculation. I then pay or receive and that's the end,
Does this help me with all this TIN business ?
Prior Planning & Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I’m by no means an expert but I believe banks are required to provide HMRC with various financial information relating to all customers including your tax status - when HSBC wrote to me they wanted to know what countries I had a tax obligation and even though I had never been asked or submitted any details to the Thai tax authorities, they insisted that I provide them with my Thai TIN - I’ve never had HMRC ask me any specific questions regarding living in Thailand and any Thai tax issues.