2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
pharvey

Re: 2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by pharvey »

DOH! :oops:

I'd forgotten the schedules for the first two races run a day early this season - Practice Runs today, Qualifying tomorrow and the Main Race Saturday. This is due to Ramadan and the Thurs/Fri/Sat format will apply to Bahrain (this weekend) and Saudi (next).

All on Sky F1 (UK), I'm watching/streaming on https://cricfree.live/live/sky-sports-f1, but acknowledge that some have issues with streaming sites/adds/malware etc. (I certainly don't).

You can also safely go to formula1.com for more details - NOTE: Register for F1 Unlocked (free of charge) for Live Timing (not video).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Well, I know Free Practice is notoriously difficult for us mere spectators to take anything from with set-ups, fuel loads tyre selection/age not being consistent across the teams. BUT with Mercedes top of FP2 and Crashappen down in 6th, a few (including myself) will smile.

Of course, FP3 and Qualification to come tomorrow... Take note oh "HHF/Superbru Predictors", make your picks BEFORE Qualifying for the Early Bru Point!
Bahrain-SCH.png
Bahrain-SCH.png (64.61 KiB) Viewed 292 times
[EDIT] All times UK

Good luck to all - well, "almost" all! :thumb:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The smile may be brief? Verstappen is laying back IMO for whatever reason. If he doesn't achieve pole then we'll know something exciting is going on. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:08 am The smile may be brief?
Oh I'm sure, but it's just nice to see/hear RB/MV not having it all quite their own way if only for the briefest of times.....

The Mercedes car did actually look far more "stable" than it has done in the past couple of seasons and this with the track being fairly windy across the 2 Practice Sessions - it really does have a hell of an effect on the handling of these cars. We'll just have to see what improvement they've (hopefully) made with the Powertrain and Aerodynamics.....

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

FP3 was a bit of a bizarre one.... Mercedes seemed to have "dialled back" more to Race Pace rather than Single Lap Pace which they were showing in FP2 - perhaps too much? Red BS and others "Dialled up" more towards Single Lap Pace, but perhaps not enough in some cases... It really is a complete mix and a difficult balancing act - remembering of course that the setup used in Qualifying will be the same for Race Day. Do you go for out and out speed and Grid Position, or more towards Race Speed protecting the tyres and going for the longer run at the expense of out and out speed? There is of course the issue of Track Temperature - things will be a damned sight cooler come Qualifying than during FP3,,

FP3 was obviously the last chance to work things out prior to Qualifying and teams were making change after change - some being fairly major with braking systems, suspension and aerodynamics included. Mercedes finished well down, Crashappen in 3rd whilst Alonso (AM) and McLaren are certainly not looking bad!! Qualifying is going to be interesting!!

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I don't think we're going to see Hamilton get the attention from Mercedes that he's been used to. My feeling is that Russell will be the primary focus, the future. Things like mechanic priority, setup and all those things that comes with being #1 in the stable. I think those days are over for Hamilton. Let's see if I'm wrong as the season progresses. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 12:11 am I don't think we're going to see Hamilton get the attention from Mercedes that he's been used to. My feeling is that Russell will be the primary focus, the future. Things like mechanic priority, setup and all those things that comes with being #1 in the stable. I think those days are over for Hamilton. Let's see if I'm wrong as the season progresses. :cheers:
I honestly think you're wrong there Pete - all aspects of the team are professional and whether LH is leaving or not, he'll have Mercedes' backing. After all, they're after the Constructor's Championship as well as a Champion Driver - the former, more beneficial to the team. Hamilton has been there for years and the the relationship has been beneficial to both parties.

The Red BS setup meanwhile..... Arrogance beyond belief, a petulant driver, infighting and a scandal that will not go away :roll:

As to Qualifying and Race Day.... :dance: An interesting Qualifying session no doubt. I don't believe RB have the advantage they thought they had and quite frankly, Piastri and McLaren will be pissed off with the "tow" given to Crashappen in the dying moments of Q3. It's truly quite tight at the top and we'll have to see who's setup and tactics prevail - Hamilton will be clinging to the hope that his setup gives the Full Race advantage. I'm certainly hoping for a closer season than last and will continue my support for Sainz and the Scuderia, but Lewis and Mercedes will be the ones for me. :thumb:
THE GRID....
2024-Bahrain-Grid.png
2024-Bahrain-Grid.png (88.38 KiB) Viewed 251 times
COME ON MERC!!! :thumb: ... And of course Ferrari! :D :wink:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I think those days are over for Hamilton.
Hamilton made a big mistake in not retiring while he was in front a couple of years ago. With very few exceptions it is a young mans sport, and he is well past that. I doubt that you will see Verstappen stay at it the same way, despite his arrogance.

Hamilton does not display the same arrogance, but he does have a similar problem in not retiring long ago.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

He’s got a long way to go to become the oldest driver in a F1 race, that honour goes to Louis Chiron who was 55 years and 292 days old in his last competitive race in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:53 am He’s got a long way to go to become the oldest driver in a F1 race, that honour goes to Louis Chiron who was 55 years and 292 days old in his last competitive race in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix

What was he driving, an Austin A-30 or similar vintage! :P
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:31 am Hamilton does not display the same arrogance, but he does have a similar problem in not retiring long ago.
Still an extremely good driver with a wealth of knowledge and experience - Alonso also. Perhaps he should have gone after RB and Verstappen stole the title(s) in 2021, but I can certainly understand his grievance and pride and his need to put things right. Let him have his dream of driving for the Scuderia and with a bit of luck have Crashappen & co. put in their place - we may see Alonso do the same in the Mercedes.

These guys are needed in the sport - as you say though, not behind the wheel at their age.... BUT, can you imagine how they can replace the adrenalin rush of driving in F1?

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

2024 F1 News and Prediction League

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:53 am He’s got a long way to go to become the oldest driver in a F1 race, that honour goes to Louis Chiron who was 55 years and 292 days old in his last competitive race in the 1955 Monaco Grand Prix

What was he driving, an Austin A-30 or similar vintage! :P
Well of course they couldn’t compete with today’s cars, but were still capable of almost 300kph, so a tad faster than an A30 which would have struggled to get into 3 figures!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:34 am Well of course they couldn’t compete with today’s cars, but were still capable of almost 300kph, so a tad faster than an A30 which would have struggled to get into 3 figures!!
Indeed, incredibly quick cars for the time with zero safety features of today's cars.... "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" should and could apply here. A large pair of bollocks required methinks..... (apologies to the WOKE/LGBGTDERAW...) :wink: :duck:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Heartbroken :cry: It's like that complete slap in the face that you knew was coming .... :cry: Your first girlfriend breaking up with you, your Goldfish leaving for that bloody Circus (yes I still believe), "Santa" doesn't exist (yeah right). Then again, I hardly love Red BS (F1), their setup/attitude or management - my love of Crashappen of course is no secret!! :butt:

But come on - F1 is hardly dead! Ferrari honestly looked good and the Leclerc vs Sainz was superb! Mercedes and Hamilton in particular were disappointing

Mercedes need look no further than a man Pi$$ed off with being second.. Alonso is there (though as a driver for the future, my choice would be Sainz) , but if Merc - Sainz is a no-brainer after this last display alone.

Red BS are simply miles ahead - something wrong there..... But hell, my love is just to chase these pricks down.

Ignoring RED BS (arrogance, petulance and distaste), there's some "REAL RACING" about - don't ignore it.

Anywo, after Round One!!
Bahrain-RES.png
(138.84 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
And as if I couldn't be more depressed :roll: .... BB takes the "Yellow Cap"!! :thumb:
HHF-F1-R1.png
HHF-F1-R1.png (104.46 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Lots more to come..

Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Heartbroken :cry: It's like that complete slap in the face that you knew was coming .... :cry: Your first girlfriend breaking up with you, your Goldfish leaving for that bloody Circus (yes I still believe), "Santa" doesn't exist (yeah right). Then again, I hardly love Red BS (F1), their setup/attitude or management - my love of Crashappen of course is no secret!! :butt:
You need to get a life mate! It is a bloody game for interested people to watch, just like any other "sporting" endeavour!
The only differnce with this game is the prize money! You could also take a quick look at the wording of the title of the thread.