Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Big Boy

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by Big Boy »

I haven't, but Thailand being Thailand, I can imagine them being silly money. Still worth keeping your eyes and ears open for a bargain though.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm I know you're not useless with your hands like me - you helped build a lot of your own house. Have you never considered picking up an old e.g. minibus and converting it yourself? I would think it could be a very self-satisfying project.
And then you would be accused of taking a Thais job! :shock:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:04 pm Looks like someone is importing and selling those Chinese truck extensions for around 250k which is reasonable.
Yes, I noticed those. Don't look bad at all.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:11 pm I know you're not useless with your hands like me - you helped build a lot of your own house. Have you never considered picking up an old e.g. minibus and converting it yourself? I would think it could be a very self-satisfying project.
He would need a work permit though to comply with the law 😉😉 :wink: :wink:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Probably the wrong thread to discuss this, but would he? I've been looking at the list of reserved jobs, and I see nothing prohibitive.

:offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Is it a job if you don't sell, or give, it away?
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

migrant wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:19 pm Is it a job if you don't sell, or give, it away?
No. :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
buksida

Post by buksida »

Back to camping, maybe they consider putting up a tent 'work' now since you're building your own temporary accommodation.

Hopefully this farang witch hunt will be over soon and 'normality' will resume in Tingtongland.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Some of the high end Malls in Bangkok now have camping shops. There are two in the newly opened Emsphere. I was looking at them earlier. I wouldnt bother if you're on a budget! There used to be one in Bluport as well.
Talk is cheap
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

caller wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:42 pm Some of the high end Malls in Bangkok now have camping shops. There are two in the newly opened Emsphere. I was looking at them earlier. I wouldnt bother if you're on a budget! There used to be one in Bluport as well.
There's one in Market Village basement
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Are Camper Vans/Campers available for hire in Thailand - would it be safe to? If so, would they just be aimed at the Hi-So's at extortionate prices?

[EDIT] I'm tempted to do so in the UK, but many of the places we like to/want to visit tend to involve the countryside, narrow lanes, restricted parking etc. - well, Britain outside of the cities and major towns basically!

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Although it might not be easy, I’m sure lots of people do it - I guess you’d have to try to get one of the more compact vans to make it a possibility - give it a try!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm Are Camper Vans/Campers available for hire in Thailand - would it be safe to? If so, would they just be aimed at the Hi-So's at extortionate prices?

[EDIT] I'm tempted to do so in the UK, but many of the places we like to/want to visit tend to involve the countryside, narrow lanes, restricted parking etc. - well, Britain outside of the cities and major towns basically!

:cheers: :cheers:
One source the lowest for a small unit is 6,000 Baht per day. I would think most are priced that way.

http://www.campervan-thailand.com/
buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:01 pm Are Camper Vans/Campers available for hire in Thailand - would it be safe to? If so, would they just be aimed at the Hi-So's at extortionate prices?
As with many things in Thailand, utterly ridiculous pricing. Way more expensive in this country (which is not geared up for it yet and has diabolical driving standards) than in Japan. And a bunch of stupid laws barring foreigners from driving them.

Camper vanning in Thailand is a novelty for the rich ... unless you want to go 'old school' with tents and backwater campsites as we do.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

buksida wrote:
As with many things in Thailand, utterly ridiculous pricing. Way more expensive in this country (which is not geared up for it yet and has diabolical driving standards) than in Japan. And a bunch of stupid laws barring foreigners from driving them.

Camper vanning in Thailand is a novelty for the rich ... unless you want to go 'old school' with tents and backwater campsites as we do.
There are laws prohibiting farangs driving camper vans?