Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

There's several things that have lead to this post and the questions or information certainly not restricted to Thailand - as highlighted by buksida's recent "Japan in a Van" Report. I can't say I've ever truly been a great fan of camping, but that's only due to a preference for decent "facilities" shall we say... I don't enjoy cr@pping in the woods or having to run to the nearest WC in the cold/wet/dark in my (sexy Welsh) underwear or not having a decent wash/shower for days......

I have however looked at things differently in the past year or so for various reasons: -

* Reports from the likes of buksida obviously!! :D

* Health and Age - I'm a long way from being the eldest on the Forum :wink: , but age and fitness levels have an effect (and very quickly :roll: ). Time to get out there again - and not work-wise!!

* The usual holidays are far from cheap, "convenient" or "guaranteed" - in this I refer to extortionate hotel, flight and insurance prices, cancelled flights and/or accommodation at short notice, chaos at airports, rail or coach stations and their bloody strikes :cuss: etc., etc.

* The love of the outdoors - I truly do love the countryside, though these days I'm restricted to very short walks. Just being there with the views and setting is the main thing though.

* Cost of Living - Well, this has hit us all to varying degrees, but I'm sure we all still want the usual getaway when possible.

* Then of course there's the LHG! She adores the countryside, wildlife, walking and unfortunately pushes for camping!!

I honestly looked at hiring or even at purchasing a Campervan at various stages of (prescribed) "medication" or alcohol consumption, but thankfully realised the true cost and difficulties of doing this in the UK and Europe before acting upon it!! Realistically in the UK IMHO, something like a Ford Transit is the biggest you'll get away with when travelling to the places we want to go to (small villages, "lost beaches", out of the way pubs, restaurants et al) which are invariably way down country lanes in the back of beyond. Even then, a Transit could be an expensive beast to convert to anything like a "Camper" and wouldn't have all "facilities" and where the hell would the bed go!! :roll: :oops: The realisation that a shower is a no-no and a "Portable Potty" necessary is clear now... The "Portable Potty" plus separate "Tent" is actually bloody straight forward :roll: :wink:

Anywho, one very clear moment made me look into the whole camping thing differently - and believe it or not this was in a Tesco (UK Supermarket) Carpark of all places!! There was an SUV parked in front of me with a "unit" (for wont of a better word) on the roof rack, clearly displaying/advertising "TentBox". It got my attention and I did a quick search on the Internet when I arrived back home. Make your own mind up, but to be honest, I think it's a cracking idea :thumb: And no, I am not associated with the name or the company - it's simply providing some info. If you want to look into things further, go to www.tentbox.com

You don't need a huge campervan, but even a smaller SUV to store the "Camping Kit" (and of course the "Portable Potty") will do. I've been in contact with them and they've given tips and great information to use the LHG's Audi Q3. Personally, I'm looking into this in a big way especially as we can realistically use an existing vehicle rather than forking out on rentals etc.

Of course it doesn't help us when we're travelling to the likes of Thailand or hopefully Japan in the future, but perhaps this or something similar would be worth looking into for you guys in HH, Thailand or otherwise? Is there anything like it available in Thailand?

I guess for the majority visiting Thailand, accommodation is cheap and interest in camping is low on the list, but this may be of interest to those members in Europe(?).

Regardless of the above, it truly would be interesting to read "stories", reports, gain info and/or tips with regards to camping in Thailand, Asia or elsewhere!! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Re: Campers, Camping and/or a Van?

Post by buksida »

We do a lot of camping and it is becoming popular now with Thais wanting to escape the cities. Tents are the way to go due to the favorable climate here (it never gets cold), and plenty of places to pitch them.

However, you need deep pockets for a motorhome as campervans or pickup conversions can cost more than a house in Thailand! :shock:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 9:04 am However, you need deep pockets for a motorhome as camper vans or pickup conversions can cost more than a house in Thailand!
Far from cheap in the UK and then there's where to park/leave them, tax, emissions cr@p and on and on and on....

With regards to camping in Thailand, what are the laws? Can you literally pitch a tent anywhere (aside from the obvious)? What about safety, wildlife and the human variety.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We looked into a pickup conversion and they were in seven figures (the truck only cost 750k new), a decent campervan can cost millions here, so only playthings for the rich kids really.

Obviously, you can't pitch on private land but beaches are ok as are national parks if you get permission first. However, national parks have a lot of silly laws now and dual pricing so we tend to avoid them. Thailand is very safe and we've never had problems with the locals, only the odd feral dogs which are soon seen off!

There are a lot of new campsites springing up at local lakes around here so it is definitely a growing business in Thailand.

We're planning another camping trip up north later this month to take advantage of the cooler weather before smog season kicks in ... watch this space!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

That Tentbox option looks appealing although it only provides somewhere to sleep, whereas a Campervan will provide a hob, a fridge, sink and sometimes more so not quite comparing apples with apples, but I can understand their attraction.

I’ve mentioned in the past that I had two VW Campervans in the late 80’s early 90’s and had some truly wonderful experiences with them, travelling over to France as well as holidays in the UK - weekend breaks as well as longer stays.

What I haven’t mentioned before is that with the campervan, I also managed to tow a “folding caravan”, made by Rapido. This literally folded down to something like a quarter size of the erected caravan. How the VW managed to cope with towing this as well as five of us (2 adults and 3 kids) I have no idea, but we did it. I’ve attached a photo of a similar type van, but something like this is easy to tow and doesn’t take up too much room!!Image
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I know a guy here who bought an old mini-van and has had it transformed into a very functional campervan.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey wrote:Health and Age - I'm a long way from being the eldest on the Forum :wink: , but age and fitness levels have an effect (and very quickly :roll: ). Time to get out there again - and not work-wise!!
Do not entertain anything that involves steps, ladders and any effort to set up, least of all those car top tents!
Before you commit to buying anything, hire something for a weekend and try it out. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
buksida

Post by buksida »

DSC_1009.jpg
DSC_1009.jpg (151.74 KiB) Viewed 10334 times
DSC_0968.jpg
DSC_0968.jpg (82.47 KiB) Viewed 10334 times

A couple of shots of our new year campsite. We had a toilet, solar panel for charging, fresh running water in the stream, a waterfall to shower in, food, fire, bbq, cold beer, music, lighting, and we were the only two people there ... no need for anything else!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

During Covid, when I couldn't get back to Thailand, I had a couple of camping trips out in the Ardennes forest and enjoyed it.
One thing to be said for it is that camping gear is pretty cheap if you're not doing anything extreme. I got everything off Amazon for about 200 euros, tent, stove, pans, sleeping gear etc. That's about one night in a hotel where I was!
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

When my kids were younger, we travelled all over Europe with our caravan. Caravan sites are in abundance with electricity plus all the comforts you could ask for. With a caravan, of course, it leaves you the freedom of the car. Some would say that's nothing like camping as my next door neighbor always commented when I was loading my colour TV into the van!!

This part of the world is not geared up for caravanning which is a shame.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

HHTel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:43 pmSome would say that's nothing like camping as my next door neighbor always commented when I was loading my colour TV into the van...
When I was a child in the 70's, our caravan had gas lights, I remember we once went to the Peak District in the rain and it wasn't even "colour" looking out of the window!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:37 am A couple of shots of our new year campsite. We had a toilet, solar panel for charging, fresh running water in the stream, a waterfall to shower in, food, fire, bbq, cold beer, music, lighting, and we were the only two people there ... no need for anything else!
Pretty much perfect, though trying the same in Wales we'd not get much power from the Solar Panels, the Shower would be heart attack temperatures (although clean), doubtful an "Open Fire" would be allowed, but Christ.... Being away from it all would be worth it!!

Wales has mind-blowing countryside and views - unfortunately we don't have the weather as a norm for camping as you've done!! Must admit though buks, looks and sounds spot on!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:15 am Do not entertain anything that involves steps, ladders and any effort to set up, least of all those car top tents!
Before you commit to buying anything, hire something for a weekend and try it out. :cheers:
Spot on advice with regards to buying before renting - my thoughts exactly, though I'll need to look at trying one of these "Tent Boxes".... :wink:

I also appreciate your comments RE: Ladders and Setup, but I can handle the former (just) and the latter is apparently very easy with this particular brand. There's an agent not too far from me, so I'll have a drive across and take a look. If and when I get there, I'll take some pics. and share.

buksida

Post by buksida »

pharvey wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 10:47 pm Wales has mind-blowing countryside and views - unfortunately we don't have the weather as a norm for camping as you've done!! Must admit though buks, looks and sounds spot on!!
Thailand is far from perfect with its weather and camping season is generally limited from mid-November to mid-February so you only have a three-month window for guaranteed good weather. From late Feb to June, it is either too hot or the air quality is terrible due to crop burning, and from July to October it is the rainy season, though an El Nino year such as this one may be drier in some parts of the country.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

This is what you need Pete -no point in roughing it in one of those roof tents…………just get that lottery win in first!!

https://www.danburycampervans.co.uk/sto ... k-edition/