Soi Fire Extinguishers

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Soi Fire Extinguishers

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 8:02 am But why my Soi? Nobody else has reported one of these in their Soi. It just seems to be a random thing to put up on the wall. It's not doing any harm, but I just wonder why? It has been placed on the side of a concrete house with no windows in that wall, there's a concrete road, and then another concrete wall with no windows.
Bit confusing description. :?
What do you mean by "house". If it is a concrete structure with no windows, then it is probably housing something flammable, or explosive such as gas.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

No, it is a residential house with no windows on that particular wall (yes, I think it's ugly as well). AFAIK it only houses people and furnishings.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

VincentD wrote:A red fire extinguisher is typically water-based, so only good for wood or paper fires. Cannot be used for oil based (like a kitchen fire) or electrical (fuse box short or similar) type of fire. The size also indicates it will be operable for a minute or so.
My guess is the tessabahn is trying to spend their allocated budget for the year so they would qualify for a request for an increase next year?
This is from an Australian website so could be different than Thailand, but they show all extinguishers as mainly red with just a small area at the top colour coded to distinguish type, as in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes, quite correct Danny Boy, the UK is similar. I did not bother posting about it before, as there are always people that know it better. I have lost count of the number of fire fighting courses that I have attended, and have the log books to prove it! :cheers:

https://www.firesafe.org.uk/portable-fi ... m%20swarf)

Colour coding of Extinguishers

The type of extinguisher is identified by a colour coding as indicated below. The old fire extinguishers standard required the whole of the body of the extinguisher to be painted the appropriate colour. You will find these extinguishers in many premises and these are still legal, you do not need to change them unless the extinguisher is defective and needs to be replaced. New extinguishers are manufactured to the standard BS EN 3.

Water extinguishers are coloured signal red.
Other extinguishers will be predominantly signal red with a label, band or circle covering at least 5% of the surface area of the extinguisher in a second colour indicating the contents of the extinguisher.

Fire extinguishers colour-coded green are vapourising liquids (Halons) and have been illegal, with some exceptions like aircraft and the military, since the end of 2003 as the result of the Montreal protocol. They need to be disposed of legally, for more information go to Phasing out Halons in portable fire extinguishers.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

And for anybody interested in their own safety, the following are the best types to have in your house or car. They are readily available in Thailand:

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/quell-marine-f ... 24844.html

It’s impossible to know when a fire will break out, so make sure you’re protected by having the Quell 1 kg Marine fire extinguisher close to hand. You can use it for any fire involving wood, paper, carpets, flammable liquids and electrical equipment. It’s best suited for the garage, in your caravan or mobile home, or on the boat.

Bromochlorodifluoromethane (BCF),

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromochlo ... oromethane
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

In MOD we were always warned about using in confined spaced because it removed the oxygen.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:20 pm In MOD we were always warned about using in confined spaced because it removed the oxygen.
Strangely enough, that is the quickest way to put out a fire! :shock:

A 1kg extinguisher does not contain enough chemical to be a hazard, unless you happen to be locked up in a cupboard with the office girl!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here is the SDS for BCF:

https://www.statewidefire.com.au/wp-con ... n-1211.pdf

Halon 1211 (BCF)

Dry powder is an alternative as it smothers a fire, rather than chemicaly react. It is good for AB&E fires, but it leaves one hell of a mess to clean up the area after extinguishing a fire.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Here is a live example of what happens when using the wrong type of fire extinguisher:

https://shop.firewize.com.au/blogs/news ... inguishers

He also makes the mistake of aiming it at the rising flames. Always aim the stream at the base of any fire.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:54 pm
Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:20 pm In MOD we were always warned about using in confined spaced because it removed the oxygen.

A 1kg extinguisher does not contain enough chemical to be a hazard, unless you happen to be locked up in a cupboard with the office girl!
I must admit, they never defined confined space, and I don't remember anybody asking the question. Main usage was on electric vehicles, which shouldn't have been in confined spaces anyway.

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:40 pm
Nereus wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 3:54 pm

I must admit, they never defined confined space, and I don't remember anybody asking the question. Main usage was on electric vehicles, which shouldn't have been in confined spaces anyway.
Back in the 80's the standard fire extinguisher on all motor vehicles in the UK military was BCF. You could activate them and throw them under the front end to put out an engine fire.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Steve G wrote:Back in the 80's the standard fire extinguisher on all motor vehicles in the UK military was BCF. You could activate them and throw them under the front end to put out an engine fire.
This is the modern version!

https://www.elidefire.com/

edit: https://www.elidefire.com/background
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^Not a lot of people know this but aircraft lavatory waste bins have a small thermally activated fire extinguisher similar to that because people still try to smoke in aircraft lavatories!

Lavatory Waste Bin Extinguisher
https://kiddetechnologies.com/products/ ... tinguisher
Geko
Professional
Professional

Post by Geko »

VincentD wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:25 am A red fire extinguisher is typically water-based, so only good for wood or paper fires. Cannot be used for oil based (like a kitchen fire) or electrical (fuse box short or similar) type of fire. The size also indicates it will be operable for a minute or so.
My guess is the tessabahn is trying to spend their allocated budget for the year so they would qualify for a request for an increase next year?
Looks like the extinguisher on the right has a blue band around i, and the type of hose and nozzle, indicates it is a "Dry Powder" type extremely versatile extinguisher choice since it can be used on almost all fire types:

Class A fires – fires that involve flammable solids like textiles, paper, and wood
Class B fires – fires that involve flammable liquids, for example, paint, diesel, and petrol
Class C fires – fires that involve flammable gases, for instance, butane or methane
Electrical fires where the electrical equipment is up to a maximum of 1000v
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 10:38 am So nobody else has had one of these boxes mysteriously appear in their Soi?
I would never have noticed this if you hadn't started this thread but there's one right in the centre of town:
PSX_20240119_140724.jpg
PSX_20240119_140724.jpg (94.24 KiB) Viewed 1872 times