Avocados

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
PeteC

Avocados

Post by PeteC »

The local selection is getting better, and the price per fruit is coming down. The imports from NZ are still around 65 baht per avocado. Here I've seen locally grown at 40 Baht or less. They had small ones in 7-11 the other day near me for 20 baht. :shock:

The Thai Hass variety from the north is very good, if they get the harvest timing and the shipping refrigeration right, and a challenge to tell the difference from a NZ product. This new variety from the below link: "Tak Avocado, the latest GI registered product, has a unique sticky texture, rich taste, and aromatic scent, distinguishing it as a standout product." I haven't tried them yet. Photo below.

There's also a very large, heavy and round variety where the skin stays a bright green. It has a seed the size of a billiard ball and has a huge amount of flesh. The taste however is a bit plain, not nutty like the Hass. Good for things like guacamole and when you need a lot of avocado for some kind of spread or salad.

phpJQPS1cAM.jpg
phpJQPS1cAM.jpg (63.23 KiB) Viewed 806 times

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/ge ... st-in-2024
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Re: Avocados

Post by joelle »

Have yet to find some which are not as hard as rock or rotten or overpriced
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Out of those choices, get the rock hard ones and just be patient. If a Hass variety the skin will darken as it ripens.

You can speed it up by putting them in a bag with other fruit that emits ethylene gas, such as bananas. They then ripen in about half the normal time. Plenty on Google about that. Here's one link: https://www.eatingwell.com/article/2061 ... n-avocado/
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

PeteC wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 6:16 pm Out of those choices, get the rock hard ones and just be patient. If a Hass variety the skin will darken as it ripens.

You can speed it up by putting them in a bag with other fruit that emits ethylene gas, such as bananas. They then ripen in about half the normal time. Plenty on Google about that. Here's one link: https://www.eatingwell.com/article/2061 ... n-avocado/
Thanks for your useful advice, but I have never managed to ripen them, they always end up brown and uneatable.
But as I am a perseverant person I shall try again and look for the Hass variety.
Sabai Jai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Jai »

Just after the market branch of Kasikorn Bank there is a stall selling only avocados. Haas are around 150 per kilo. I buy often from her and she knows how ripe they are, one, two, three days etc. Helps if you speak Thai.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Christ, I'm very surprised by some comments - you'd (well I would) imagine avocados being cheap as chips in Thailand. One of my favourite fruits since I can remember. Expected to be on the expensive side in the UK, but it seems we have very good options in comparison to HH/Rayong!

A tad easier to ripen ("slower") in the UK I guess (or it seems) - windowsill or in the fruit bowl for a couple of days. They certainly don't get "rotten" unless left for a fair old while.... :shock:

Dips, salads... I've used in countless recipes or simply eaten "straight".... I've still not attempted them on toast - perhaps I'm still just Anti-Yuppie!! :D :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

^ Some missionaries introduced them here 90 some years ago, and that I think was about the end of it until this century. They are still not easy to find, and I didn't see imported fruit in stores before about 2010. Locally grown maybe only 2-3 years ago. Bangkok perhaps different, but the hinterland no. The below link tells the story.

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbo ... 43-145.pdf
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 4:22 pm ^ Some missionaries introduced them here 90 some years ago, and that I think was about the end of it until this century. They are still not easy to find, and I didn't see imported fruit in stores before about 2010. Locally grown maybe only 2-3 years ago. Bangkok perhaps different, but the hinterland no. The below link tells the story.

http://www.avocadosource.com/CAS_Yearbo ... 43-145.pdf
You live and learn - thanks PeteC.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I'm in Southern California right now. With the huge Latino population, popularity of Mexican food, and being next to Mexico the largest producers of avo's I believe, prices sure have skyrocketed. Small avo's are 85 cents, large one 1.50. At the risk of sounding old (shit I am) I remember when 3-4 for a dollar was the price.
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.