Mary Poppins film age rating raised over 'discriminatory language'

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Mary Poppins film age rating raised over 'discriminatory language'

Post by dtaai-maai »

Pharvey, I've had a word with your GP and he says it should be okay for you to read this post, provided you are sitting down, in a relaxed frame of mind, and have not just watched any game involving a Welsh rugby side.

So... deep breath, matey. :thumb:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-68402362
Mary Poppins, the classic film starring Julie Andrews, has had its age rating raised by British film censors because it features "discriminatory language".
The 1964 film has been reclassified from a U, which stands for universal, to a PG, for parental guidance.
In it, a derogatory term originally used by white Europeans about nomadic peoples in southern Africa is used to refer to soot-faced chimney-sweeps.
That now "exceeds our guidelines" for U films, the BBFC said.

[...]

The British Board of Film Classification said it classified the film in 1964 and then again for a re-release in 2013.

"Most recently, the film was resubmitted to us in February 2024 for another theatrical re-release, and we reclassified it PG for discriminatory language," a spokesperson said.
"Mary Poppins (1964) includes two uses of the discriminatory term 'hottentots'.
"While Mary Poppins has a historical context, the use of discriminatory language is not condemned, and ultimately exceeds our guidelines for acceptable language at U. We therefore classified the film PG for discriminatory language."

The Oxford English Dictionary says the term, which referred to the Khoikhoi and San people, is "generally considered both archaic and offensive".
My own view is that the BBFC's decision is absolutely right. I have no doubt that after watching this film, thousands of traumatised children will be flocking to the Internet to look up the word 'hottentot'... :roll:
This is the way
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Mary Poppins film age rating raised over 'discriminatory language'

Post by Dannie Boy »

And a few in their 70’s!!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

dtaai-maai wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:09 pm I have no doubt that after watching this film, thousands of traumatised children will be flocking to the Internet to look up the word 'hottentot'... :roll:
Not only thousands of traumatised children, me too :oops:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Oh you just had to twist the knife DM, Didn't you..... DIDN'T YOU??!!! Were you smiling as you did....? :(
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

So now all the traumatised watchers will start the lawsuits. Got to check if I'm one of the traumatised (would be hard to tell though).
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Just as many people boast of never having watched a Star Trek film, I can boast that I've never watched this dull film, although I've woken up for snippets of it over the years. I loved Mary Poppins though, can still sing some of the songs ('cross the rooftops of London, cor, what a sight...).

I've just realised that there is actually a word in the do-re-me song which is spelled like the actual word she (Maria?) uses. Me. I always thought it was 'mi'. The rest are all just solmization tosh (if you looked up hottentot, you'll look that up too). :wink:
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 am Just as many people boast of never having watched a Star Trek film, I can boast that I've never watched this dull film, although I've woken up for snippets of it over the years. I loved Mary Poppins though, can still sing some of the songs ('cross the rooftops of London, cor, what a sight...).

I've just realised that there is actually a word in the do-re-me song which is spelled like the actual word she (Maria?) uses. Me. I always thought it was 'mi'. The rest are all just solmization tosh (if you looked up hottentot, you'll look that up too). :wink:
Leaving to one side your sacriligeous comments on The Sound of Music, I feel I should point out that this thread is, as the subject heading suggests, about Mary Poppins! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
This is the way
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

dtaai-maai wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:33 pm Leaving to one side your sacriligeous comments on The Sound of Music, I feel I should point out that this thread is, as the subject heading suggests, about Mary Poppins! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks DM, I got that totally wrapped around my neck. I admit I was a little surprised that the word hottentot would have appeared in SoM. :D

With tuppence for paper and string...