Domestic Air Purifiers

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
Geko
Professional
Professional

Domestic Air Purifiers

Post by Geko »

Hi just wondering if anyone has used a domestic air purifier, if so are they any good? Thinking of buying a "Coway Storm"
Big Boy

Re: Domestic Air Purifiers

Post by Big Boy »

They are essential for my wife at this time of year. I have a couple of Xiaomi air purifiers and they are brilliant. They have a constant air quality read out, and if somebody e.g. lights a fire in the vicinity, the reading shoots up and sends the machines into overdrive. Any drop in air quality standards, and they sort it in a couple of minutes.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've just looked at the Coway Storm on Google, and if the reviews are creditable, it seems to be a much better machine than the Xiaomi. I would say go for it.

Points 48; Position 20
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

So far getting new air filters for our Xiaomi air purifier has been no problem for several years now. But, as far as I know, Coway is a new brand and I wondered whether filters would still be available in a couple of years.
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:26 am They are essential for my wife at this time of year. I have a couple of Xiaomi air purifiers and they are brilliant. They have a constant air quality read out, and if somebody e.g. lights a fire in the vicinity, the reading shoots up and sends the machines into overdrive. Any drop in air quality standards, and they sort it in a couple of minutes.
Xiaomi fan also, and are excellent. Had them for year and no issues. Will take the PM2.5 down to single digits, and even -0- if not cooking anything in the house.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I know nothing about these things, but I presume you have to have all the doors and windows in your house closed for them to function? Do you guys run them all the time or just at night, are they an extra strain on the electric bill (like a/c)? How much are the filters and how often do they need changing?

I know Google ... yada yada ... but looking for first-hand experiences as they seem to be becoming essential household appliances in Thailand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
KhunLA
Guru
Guru

Post by KhunLA »

LAZ Xiaomi 'Flagship' store https://www.lazada.co.th/xiaomi/?spm=a2 ... pId=312472

I run ours when PM2.5 hits 10+, and I think draw on electric is minimal.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:06 am I know nothing about these things, but I presume you have to have all the doors and windows in your house closed for them to function? Do you guys run them all the time or just at night, are they an extra strain on the electric bill (like a/c)? How much are the filters and how often do they need changing?

I know Google ... yada yada ... but looking for first-hand experiences as they seem to be becoming essential household appliances in Thailand.
Our double living room front door is usually wide open from the time we wake until we treat ourselves to a little aircon from maybe 9pm. Yes, of course, the device would be more efficient with everything closed.

The living room device is situated beside my wife's seat. It is constantly running, and keeps the air in her particular area cleaner throughout the day. If something happens outside to make the air deteriorate, the machine reacts immediately and cleans the bad air as it comes into the house. I watch the bad air gauge rise rapidly, but within a couple of minutes levels have returned to normal. The machine has sucked in the bad air, cleansed it, and threw out good air.

I would guess you could achieve the same by keeping doors closed, and not letting the bad air inside in the first place.

Power costs on the machine are negligible.

Points 48; Position 20
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

buksida wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:06 am I know nothing about these things, but I presume you have to have all the doors and windows in your house closed for them to function? Do you guys run them all the time or just at night, are they an extra strain on the electric bill (like a/c)? How much are the filters and how often do they need changing?

I used one of the following in Bangkok. Just run it at night in the bedroom, with the doors and windows closed, but one door had a grill in the bottom part, which I had covered with some air con type filter material. Cannot hear it running and on full only draws about 40 watts. No fancy indicaters, and replacement filters in stock at Lazada. If you want a polution indicater, then there are many stand alone types available.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/smart ... .0&stock=1
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Nereus wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:09 am If you want a polution indicater, then there are many stand alone types available.
I just find it reassuring to know your machine is working. Even something like burnt toast will send the indicator skywards, and you can see the machine is cleaning the foul air.

Of course, when asleep in the bedroom, you won't be watching any indicator anyway.

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Good info, thanks. Will consider one if we spend any more time living in Hua Hin. :duck:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Buksi, if you'd like to see ours in action, just pop around for coffee one day and I can give you a demo. We'd even burn a slice of toast for full effect :D .

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

Big Boy wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:20 am Buksi, if you'd like to see ours in action, just pop around for coffee one day and I can give you a demo. We'd even burn a slice of toast for full effect :D .
I'll take you up on that. :thumb:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Just let me know when.

Points 48; Position 20
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Over a few years I've developed a strong dust allergy at home which regular dusting, vacuuming and throwing open all the door/windows for a few hours doesn't help except briefly. I'm fine outside and even in the bedroom, it seems just living room dust (it's a large area).

I use a combination of a fairly unfancy Hatari HT-AP12 air filter from HomePro (changing the filter twice a year, buying on Lazada). About 4000 Baht, maybe expensive ones are better. Also for the seating area a very old Pure Essentials air revitalizer (water to which I add a few drops of essential oil just for a good fragrance) which doesn't have a filter to replace, and which (I believe) agglomerates dust particles for easier filtering, also slightly humidifying the air passing through.

My nose still tingles a little occasionally in the evening but the itching eyes and sneezing are almost zero nowadays. I've been able to stop taking daily anti-histamine tablets.

I believe the power use must be quite low as my bill has not increased to a degree that I have noticed, as I use a lot of aircon anyway, with doors/windows always closed.