Travel: Asia & Further Afield

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
pharvey

Re: Travel: Asia & Further Afield

Post by pharvey »

:lach: :lach:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

If you like to travel by train this link might interest you
Eurail Passes | Popular Rail Passes in Europe | Eurail.com
https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes

Also Strasbourg my home town is a must, most beautiful town to visit with plenty to do, lots of excellent restaurants and winstub.
Lots of informations on Google.
https://www.visitstrasbourg.fr/en/welco ... trasbourg/
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^I hope to get to Strasbourg for a weekend this year as it's not too far away for me.
I did once visit many years ago but I only had a couple of hours there as I was driving across Europe at the time.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:11 pm ^I hope to get to Strasbourg for a weekend this year as it's not too far away for me.
I did once visit many years ago but I only had a couple of hours there as I was driving across Europe at the time.
I hope you'll enjoy it, so much too see and do
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

joelle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:58 pm If you like to travel by train this link might interest you
Eurail Passes | Popular Rail Passes in Europe | Eurail.com
https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes

Also Strasbourg my home town is a must, most beautiful town to visit with plenty to do, lots of excellent restaurants and winstub.
Lots of informations on Google.
https://www.visitstrasbourg.fr/en/welco ... trasbourg/
Many thanks - really useful info. :thumb:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

There was a thing years ago in the US where you could literally get a hire car for free. This entailed returning/delivering the car to another of the company's offices/locations. If memory serves (it doesn't normally) this was usually between airports and they would give you the car (and fuel, insurance etc.) if you delivered it in one piece within a certain period - normally ASAP, so it was free transport rather than a free car for sightseeing etc.

I've tried to find out more on the Web, but can't find anything - has anyone heard of this before? If it is available in the US, I wonder if the same/similar is available in Europe.

:cheers: :cheers:
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Do they provide a free lunch as well? :duck:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

1990 to 2012, I probably had more hire cars than the rest of the forum combined - never heard of that one, and we used all of the top companies e.g. Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc., etc.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:25 pm 1990 to 2012, I probably had more hire cars than the rest of the forum combined - never heard of that one, and we used all of the top companies e.g. Avis, Budget, Hertz, etc., etc.
Yes, I agree. In the US I used to get drop off charges waived if I turned the car into an alternate location where they needed the car, ie, pick up in Savannah and turn in at Ft. Lauderdale/Miami etc. They never offered me any kind of free rental period.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I often did one way hires, but never any discount. However, I often received some top end brand new super motors, which I felt I was ferrying to the local agents.

Likewise, some of the one way hires to airports were often 6 month old models with 30K on the clock going for disposal.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Ah, OK - I'll put that thought back in the "I Wish it was True Box" :cry: :oops: No idea where I'd heard that from, perhaps Dai_L extracting the urine once again...

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Anywho, seems the LHG's current Schengen Visa expires on the 20th of April so she wants a long weekend in France before having to apply again (which will hopefully be easier - and longer lasting).

Being the complete "Romantic" that I am, I may just see what rugby is on as that can be a hell of an experience in France!!

Seriously though, I'll have a look at Nancy as recommended by Steve G - the LHG of course wants to see Paris, but I'd rather wait for a longer trip. Plus it can be silly expensive.....

buksida

Post by buksida »

Been watching a show called 'Travel Man: 48 Hours in...' with Richard Ayoade (who is a bit of a Marmite character). He does short breaks in cities within a couple of hours flight of the UK, plenty of ideas there that I'd never thought of and places I now want to visit.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4719744/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:39 pm Been watching a show called 'Travel Man: 48 Hours in...' with Richard Ayoade (who is a bit of a Marmite character). He does short breaks in cities within a couple of hours flight of the UK, plenty of ideas there that I'd never thought of and places I now want to visit.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4719744/
Think I've caught an episode before, but cheers - definitely one to have a look at! :thumb:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

^I've started going on two day city trips from Luxembourg and it's fun.
Sometimes I just choose places that are easy, I went to Lisbon last year for no other reason than because the flight times suited my schedule and I had a great time.
For two days I can entertain myself by just walking around and getting a feel for the city.