Customs cost of international parcel

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Customs cost of international parcel

Post by neil_54 »

Hello,
I will order an item from Europe with a size of 140x50cm and about 5 kilos. I wonder what the extra cost of thai customs, etc. Does anyone have experience with that?

thank you very much
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Customs cost of international parcel

Post by Dannie Boy »

neil_54 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:20 am Hello,
I will order an item from Europe with a size of 140x50cm and about 5 kilos. I wonder what the extra cost of thai customs, etc. Does anyone have experience with that?

thank you very much
I’m sure it will depend on what is being shipped, rather than the weight/size of the package.
neil_54
Rookie
Rookie

Post by neil_54 »

its a small surf board
brianks
Guru
Guru

Post by brianks »

It all depends on how Customs classifies it, and you won't have much say in that other than send an invoice with it that clearly states what the product is and its value. When they call you and ask for payment you will then know how much it will cost. Good Luck.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

neil_54 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:32 am its a small surf board
I have a sneaking feeling that sporting equipment might raise a customs flag. Beauty products/cosmetics did too for my daughter. It's not so much the cost as the pain of having to go a fair distance to pay them.

The cost will be based on value, not size.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

404cameljockey wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:26 am
neil_54 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:32 am its a small surf board
I have a sneaking feeling that sporting equipment might raise a customs flag. Beauty products/cosmetics did too for my daughter. It's not so much the cost as the pain of having to go a fair distance to pay them.

The cost will be based on value, not size.
I imported car parts, books a car and other small items for years. If it is shipped by DHL or other courier, they will handled the import tax, which you can pay online with the same credit card that you used to buy it.

If it comes by Thai Post you will have to go to the local post office.

The import duty has nothig to do with any "value" shown on any invoice. Thai Customs have their own method, mostly influenced by what they think you can pay, OR, if a customs officer takes a shine to whatever it is, then enough to make you decide to let them keep it!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Nereus wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:54 am
The import duty has nothig to do with any "value" shown on any invoice. Thai Customs have their own method, mostly influenced by what they think you can pay, OR, if a customs officer takes a shine to whatever it is, then enough to make you decide to let them keep it!
Yes the value is as decided by customs. On a privately imported car (don't know if that's still possible) You would get your importing agent to negotiate with the customs office in situ to reduce what they claim. A good/well known international agent represented in Thailand could save you money (even after likely cutting a side deal).
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Yes the value is as decided by customs. On a privately imported car (don't know if that's still possible) You would get your importing agent to negotiate with the customs office in situ to reduce what they claim. A good/well known international agent represented in Thailand could save you money (even after likely cutting a side deal).
Really? You "don't know if that's still possible", but you are telling us how to do it!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

If you order from Amazon all shipping and customs fees are included
buksida

Post by buksida »

↑ Amazon ships to Thailand? Never managed to get that to work using my UK account.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 pm ↑ Amazon ships to Thailand? Never managed to get that to work using my UK account.
Yes it's specified when you choose an item big or small, from Alibaba Express too, we've had windshields for our Nmaxes delivered from them no problem and very efficiently, also several other items with no hassle
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

buksida wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:59 pm ↑ Amazon ships to Thailand? Never managed to get that to work using my UK account.
I've had some sellers that ship here over the years. Mainly books and music.

I also have a .com account, which seems to be easier for shipping.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yes, I've bought a few things that way.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was under the impression that Amazon didn’t deliver to Thailand but I just tried a dummy order and selected a torch and the item was just under £14 and the estimated delivery and customs charge was £10 something!!
I’m not placing the order but it certainly looks possible!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk