Looking For New Tablet

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Big Boy

Looking For New Tablet

Post by Big Boy »

My current tablet, a Samsung Galaxy Tab A must be about 10 years old now and is starting to fall apart, literally. I've decided it is time to replace it. The old tablet has been faultless, and still works perfectly for what I need. However, the surrounding plastic is breaking away and it can be a bit slow when switching on.

It's primary use is to watch movies when I'm travelling.

I've been looking at what I think is like for like on Lazada, and prices seem to have dropped crazily in 10 years - I seem to remember paying 8 or 9 thousand Baht back then. I don't want to buy something that is not good for purpose, even though my use is very basic.

I am looking for recommendations for a suitable basic replacement please. Anything considered.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
pharvey

Re: Looking For New Tablet

Post by pharvey »

This one is close to my heart actually - as so much has changed. The likes of Samsung and iPad have major competition.

Like you, I want the absolute basics just for travel (or hospital these days :cry: :roll: ) - access to Email, eBooks, perhaps Word/Excel equivalent, but mainly "Entertainment" & obviously WIFI/Bluetooth connections.

Many of these "Pads" now have only C-Connections for charging no USB Connection. C to Standard USB Adaptors are available, but many of the new devices don't recognise them.

"New Pads" have limited internal storage, but additional storage via a "Mini SD Card" (much like a mobile phone) can be used. Unfortunately, some units even fail to recognise this storage.

Software - aside from Windows do you go for Android or iOS?

The one I currently have is a Lenovo Tab P12 Pro - unfortunately, it suffers issues as per above (I didn't research enough), but it does do the job - less so than I was expecting. I get around things by controlling internal storage specifically for a trip/certain period. But I do wish I'd looked at the whole "C-Port" issue. Times have changed I'm sure, but do look.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Wow!!! Good advice - I'd never even heard of a C-Port until I read your post. I just assumed USB connection would be a standard feature.

I've always used the Mini SD Card for storage on my tablet, so that is already a lesson learned.

I'm used to Android, but so long as I can drag movies across, I'm not really that bothered.

Points 48; Position 21
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

I think just research the whole C-Port issue BB and make sure you can make full use of the Mini SD-Card. My Lenovo isn't truly reliable at that even.

I purchased a C-Port adaptor that had all, USB/SD/Mini SD etc, to use to connect an external drive, but was simply not recognised. I later found that this was not an uncommon issue.

Definitely look before you leap on this one!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

By the sound of it you’ll be better sticking with an android device rather than switching to an iPad - for one you’re familiar with them, most if not all allow you to plug in extra memory whereas in an iPad, what you buy is what you’re stuck with and of course going for a higher built in storage tends to be expensive.

Having said that, I’ve had iPads and iPhones since I retired more than 12 years ago and don’t envisage changing!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

We use Ipads for documentation at work and even the new ones of those use C type connectors.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:41 pm We use Ipads for documentation at work and even the new ones of those use C type connectors.
I believe pretty much all devices do so these days. Just explaining my issues that I've experienced with the Lenovo - i.e. not recognising external drives/those via USB to C type Adaptors.... Have you used those on your iPads Steve?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Much easier to buy a new cable rather than an adapter

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think the EU forced the standardization issue, and now everything will have a C type connector going forward. Of course there is store stock to deplete first. Apple fought it but I've read they finally gave in.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:48 pm Much easier to buy a new cable rather than an adapter
Pretty sure the point is being missed here..... But, going to this - Do you own a C-Connection Storage Device or a Standard USB Storage Device for external storage? What would you use therefore, an Adaptor or Cable?

Anywho, if BB is happy with Android and happy with a Mini-SD-Card, that's the way to go. I have only advised caution based on my experience.

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

pharvey wrote:
Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:48 pm Much easier to buy a new cable rather than an adapter
Pretty sure the point is being missed here..... But, going to this - Do you own a C-Connection Storage Device or a Standard USB Storage Device for external storage? What would you use therefore, an Adaptor or Cable?

Anywho, if BB is happy with Android and happy with a Mini-SD-Card, that's the way to go. I have only advised caution based on my experience.

Sorry I didn’t realise you were talking about external storage devices - that would obviously be different!!

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Dannie Boy wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:57 pm Sorry I didn’t realise you were talking about external storage devices - that would obviously be different!!
Zero issue DB - a standard connection is the way to go, my bitch has simply been that I can't add external storage (via an adaptor) to my Lenovo device. A royal pain in the arse if I want to access files etc. which I would usually store on a USB Stick if away from home.

Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Thanks guys. I'm currently looking at Samsung Galaxy Tab A9+ 5G 8/128GB (top end) and Samsung Galaxy S12+ Tablet {12GB RAM + 512GB ROM} Smart Tablet (lower end). Both seem to easily meet my very modest needs, plus an awful lot more. Would any 'expert' like to comment? I am a virtual novice on Android devices.

I only really use Samsung. You guys can see the specs I am considering - is there anything else of similar specs that you guys could recommend please?

Points 48; Position 21
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

pharvey wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:46 pm
STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:41 pm We use Ipads for documentation at work and even the new ones of those use C type connectors.
I believe pretty much all devices do so these days. Just explaining my issues that I've experienced with the Lenovo - i.e. not recognising external drives/those via USB to C type Adaptors.... Have you used those on your iPads Steve?
No, because they're used for aircraft documentation, the port is locked anyway, they're updated through a secure server.
Basically you can access the company intranet and documentation and nothing else.
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:25 pm No, because they're used for aircraft documentation, the port is locked anyway, they're updated through a secure server.
Basically you can access the company intranet and documentation and nothing else.
TBH, I was expecting that reply - my company and the devices we are provided with are the same. I just have my own PC and/or Tablet so I can do my own thing - i.e. movie downloads and sports streams!! :thumb: