Songkran 2024 Road Accidents

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Songkran 2024 Road Accidents

Post by Dannie Boy »

Not the deadly 7 - the deadly 365!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Dannie Boy wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 am Not the deadly 7 - the deadly 365!!
Nice to know we get a day off this year :run:
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

The other thread on Forzas with phone controls got me thinking ...

I wonder if motorcycle accidents/fatalities surged after smartphones saturated the population here. Everyday I see Thais riding along while playing with their phones. Would be an interesting statistic, we know most don't wear a lid here which causes many of the deaths, but how many came off while watching Tiktok or some shit instead of watching the road and other motorists.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I also wonder how many were Grab/Food Panda/Lineman drivers. All renown for constantly driving with their phone in hand, I witnessed many being picked upon by Songkran revelers, to the extent of bullying. Those guys were working under extreme circumstances.
Championship Millwall - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 21
buksida

Post by buksida »

Right, but I haven't seen one of them come off yet ... they have some motorcycle Kung Fu going on. Many of the near misses I've been involved in recently involved young girls riding while watching their phones and pulling stupid manoeuvers without looking because they cant take their eyes off the device. Then ... maybe they had their phones wrapped up during Songkran so mobile-related accidents may have dropped for that period!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
GroveHillWanderer
Guru
Guru

Post by GroveHillWanderer »

buksida wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:22 am
pitsch wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:20 am making them the ninth most dangerous in the world, according to research by the World Health Organisation (WHO).
Ninth? Wow ... there are eight countries where more than 385 people are killed on the roads every week? (I thought Thailand topped the list) :shock:
I can't find a set of WHO data that puts Thailand in ninth place, but in the data for a few recent years that I could find, nearly all the countries with the worst traffic accident statistics are in Africa.