Buying a new Forza or Xmax

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Buying a new Forza or Xmax

Post by Scout »

I bought a Yamaha Nmax (155 cc) in 2016, it’s served me well for over 7 years and over 50,000 km but its age is showing and it’s starting to require a bit of maintenance. I mostly use it around town, with an occasional trip to Pranburi and Cha Am. I’m considering replacing it with a new Forza, or possibly a Xmax. I think the larger engine and modern technology would be nice. I’ve got a few questions, hoping some of you can help with answers and suggestions.

1. I’d like to rent a newer Forza for a week or 2, preferably one with a cargo box attached on the back so I can try out the larger bike and see how it handles. The cargo box is primarily for transporting containers of dog kibbles as I make my daily rounds tending about 65 soi dogs at various temples and other locations around my neighborhood with food and medicine. Anyone know where I can rent one ? The rental rate isn’t much of a concern at this point, as long as its reasonable.

2. A friend suggested I consider buying a Honda ADV instead of a Forza. I’ve checked both out, at Honda Big Wing (which seems to have the best stock of Forza’s in Hua Hin that I have found so far). The ADV and Forza appear to be very similar in size and engine displacement, but when I asked the staff person what the main differences were, the answer she gave me from Google translate was “The ADV is very popular with the customers”. Anyone have a better answer than that when comparing the Forza to the ADV ? I looked at the Honda website to compare them but I’m still unsure what the main differences are, other than differences in cowling and instrument panel.

3. The Forza comes in 2 models, the base model is 179,000 baht (at 2 different dealers) and the higher end model is 2,000 baht more. I was told the only difference is the high end model has Bluetooth connectivity. With the base model you can choose from between 5 colors (including the Blue color that I’m leaning towards), while the higher end model is limited to 2 colors (I think black and gray, but unfortunately not blue). My question is, what is the Bluetooth used for ? Probably to connect your phone ( Google maps ? Music ?) to the bike, but I don’t know why I would want to do this. Unless the Forza has a display built into the instrument panel (that is larger than my phones display) or maybe the Forza has a speaker system for music ?? If there is a compelling reason to have it, 2000 baht is a small price to pay. Anyone know more about what and how the Bluetooth option is used for ?

4. After owning the Yamaha Nmax, I’m leaning towards the Honda Forza. Haven’t spent much time evaluating the Yamaha Xmax. Perhaps someone else has compared the Forza and Xmax and has found reasons to choose one over the other ?

5. In 2016 when I bought the Yamaha Nmax, I was leaning towards and shopping for a Honda PCX. Unfortunately, every Honda dealer listed a 4 month waiting time after ordering, for the PCX. The Yamaha Nmax was available at multiple dealers with no waiting time, hence I bought the Nmax. Anyone have any experience with what the waiting times currently are ? Honda Big Wing has a great selection, but I may need to order a blue one if I go that route.

Thanks in advance ! Scout
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Buying a new Forza or Xmax

Post by Dannie Boy »

The only small contribution I can make is have you tried the main Honda dealer in Cha Am - I haven’t been recently but they always seemed to have one or two Forza’s on display?

Regarding the PCX and NMax, I bought my wife a PCX about 5 years ago but looked at the NMax, but decided the Honda was a better bike - all I can say is that we’ve had 5 years without any issues.
buksida

Post by buksida »

We've just tried a few of these 'phat scooters' and settled for the Nmax as the Forza and Xmax were too big and heavy (200kgs) for the Mrs to use casually around town for market runs and the like. However, they're both very comfortable for touring and longer distances for those of a larger frame.

Cant help with rentals but plenty of people hawking them on Farcebook. I did have a go of the ADV though - it has a higher seat, a sportier feel and harder suspension. The Forza is like a lazyboy armchair so much more comfortable if spending more time in the saddle.

I would imagine the Bluetooth is for phone connectivity as many use them as GPS devices now. Best advice would be to test ride both to see which one suits your riding style better, the Xmax seems to be popular with Thais as its a little sportier.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I think one of those places renting bikes at the top of the approach to the beach near the Hilton has larger scooters like the Forza for rent, the one on the left if I remember correctly.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I have a Forza 300. 10 years old now but it's NEVER let me down in all those years. Have been south as far as Phuket a couple of times. The new Forza 350 is higher and sleeker with a few added extras.
I'd pick the Forza for reliability. I always deal with the Honda dealer opposite Salesian school (Thai) which is a true Honda dealer (owned by Honda).
buksida

Post by buksida »

Having owned various motorcycles from both manufacturers (currently have 2 Hondas and 1 Yammy), I'd say the Hondas are slightly superior in terms of build quality, switchgear, ergonomics, etc, but you’re paying a premium for one over the equivalent model Yammy.

In terms of reliability, they're pretty even as long as you take care of them and keep them regularly serviced (an oil change and filter costs bugger all, and it doesn't have to be done at the dealership!)
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Scout wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 pm
3. The Forza comes in 2 models, the base model is 179,000 baht (at 2 different dealers) and the higher end model is 2,000 baht more. I was told the only difference is the high end model has Bluetooth connectivity. With the base model you can choose from between 5 colors (including the Blue color that I’m leaning towards), while the higher end model is limited to 2 colors (I think black and gray, but unfortunately not blue). My question is, what is the Bluetooth used for ? Probably to connect your phone ( Google maps ? Music ?) to the bike, but I don’t know why I would want to do this. Unless the Forza has a display built into the instrument panel (that is larger than my phones display) or maybe the Forza has a speaker system for music ?? If there is a compelling reason to have it, 2000 baht is a small price to pay. Anyone know more about what and how the Bluetooth option is used for ?
I’ve learned more about the Bluetooth option from a Thai Security Guard that works at Sida, across the street from Wat Khao Yai. He owns a brand new Forza that has this option. The upgraded (Bluetooth model) Forza has an additional small control panel attached to the handlebar near the left handle grip. This panel has 4 small buttons. When you are riding, and your mobile phone is connected via Bluetooth and you also have ear buds attached to your phone, you can listen to music playing on your phone. The left most button is pressed to cause the phone to skip ahead to play the next song. The 2 center buttons (one above the other with corresponding labels indicating up and down) are used to increase or decrease the volume. The right most button is used to answer the phone if you receive a telephone call. The Security Guard has ear buds that connect to the phone via a plug and cord / cable. I own a set of wireless Apple Air Pods (ear buds) that connect to the phone via Bluetooth, which I think is much more convenient that having to be tethered to the phone via an audio cable. What I don’t know is if your phone can be connected via Bluetooth to 2 different devices at the same time (Air Pods and Forza) but if it can this would be very nice. I asked him about using a GPS navigation system such as Google Maps on the phone, he indicated you need to attach the phone to a 3rd party cell phone mount that attaches to the Forza in the center of the handlebar. I’m guessing but I assume the buttons on the Forza could then be used to control the navigation app running on your phone.

Thanks everyone for sharing your thoughts on my questions above, you’ve given me lots to think about. Especially the difference in weight between the larger Forza / Xmax models versus the smaller PCX / Nmax models while taking short trips around town, which is the majority of my riding. I plan to get down near the Hilton today to ask about renting a Forza for a week or 2.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Just what you need when riding a motorcycle in Thailand, where there aren't too many dangers and distractions already ... a bunch of buttons so you can play with your phone! :duck:

Though this method is much better than watching and typing on the screen while riding, as most of the locals do!

Enjoy the test riding!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

I was thinking the same about phones and distractions, I can understand the benefits of a map if you’re going somewhere you don’t know - of course everyone to themselves but it looks like an unnecessary potential hazard to me.
Scout
Professional
Professional

Post by Scout »

Scout wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:28 am
Scout wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:43 pm
I’ve learned more about the Bluetooth option from a Thai Security Guard that works at Sida, across the street from Wat Khao Yai. He owns a brand new Forza that has this option. The upgraded (Bluetooth model) Forza has an additional small control panel attached to the handlebar near the left handle grip. This panel has 4 small buttons. When you are riding, and your mobile phone is connected via Bluetooth and you also have ear buds attached to your phone, you can listen to music playing on your phone. The left most button is pressed to cause the phone to skip ahead to play the next song. The 2 center buttons (one above the other with corresponding labels indicating up and down) are used to increase or decrease the volume. The right most button is used to answer the phone if you receive a telephone call.
What I originally thought were 2 center buttons (for adjusting volume up and down) is actually a single rocker lever / button. Push it up to increase volume, push it down to decrease. It returns to the center position when released.