It's the way I tell 'em

Thai language section, ask your language questions here.
JD
Legend
Legend

It's the way I tell 'em

Post by JD »

Not sure if this should be in feeding time or here, as the question relates to a Thai explanation I'll post it here.

I had one very upset Thai Lady Customer today, her husband gave me a sour look also.

What happened? O.K. I got some samples of cakes and buns from a supplier that we will be stocking in the shop when it is finished being refitted. Chelsea Buns, Bakewell Tarts, Scones etc... to go with coffee and Tea we will serve in the Coffee shop.

There was one fruit cake in the chiller that I asked to be made as a sample for me to try. This Thai lady came into the shop and did her shopping, then she looked in the chiller and looked at the fruit cake with almonds on the top.

“That looks derriciousâ€
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Go here JD for some info: http://www.huahinafterdark.com/forum/vi ... 3&start=15

In a hoy shell, it means something close to "penetration" between a man and a women.

Big stink in BKK as a rock star wants to use that as his stage name and something about him starting up a condom company of the same name. The government do gooders are trying to kill him.

It appears you hit Miss fruitcake lover with a word that has been hot on the lips of most Thai's and the press these past few weeks. Good on ya!!....LOL :cheers: Pete
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

So from my understanding, I told the Thai lady it’s a (get your) rock(’s off) cake then. Mmmm.

OK, please any bar ladies or expectant (extra earings) bar beer owners out there, please note. I do not require a change in recipe. Please do not send your girls around with ‘fresh’ ingredients for me. Donations not required.

Am I correct, or still misguided?

Dee means good, what about Dun?
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

JD wrote:So from my understanding, I told the Thai lady it’s a (get your) rock(’s off) cake then. Mmmm.

OK, please any bar ladies or expectant (extra earings) bar beer owners out there, please note. I do not require a change in recipe. Please do not send your girls around with ‘fresh’ ingredients for me. Donations not required.

Am I correct, or still misguided?

Dee means good, what about Dun?
It sounds like a good management decision to expand your client base :lach:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

JD wrote:Dee means good, what about Dun?
I think if looking for a literal translation, the closest you're going to get is "good push". Then, leave it up to the imagination. BG to elaborate if needed as I couldn't find "dun" in a Thai language dictionary. I went around the neighborhood and polled the Thai neighbors oops, asked the neighbors. :shock:

Kudos also JD to your wife. In one go she enlightened a group of Thai's in your shop that the sun does not only rise and set on Thailand. This brings the total probably up to at least a dozen who are now aware of this. :cheers: Pete
Edd Case

Post by Edd Case »

JD wrote:
[quote]I said “No, Dundee good, arroy mak, the name comes from a town in Scotlandâ€
"The older I get ....the better I remember I was."
shakin' boxcar joe

Post by shakin' boxcar joe »

´Ñé¹

Means to pierce , to go through , to push through.

The pronunciation is "dan" with a falling tone rather than "dun"

´Ñ¹ is "dan" with a mid tone and means to push or to shove.

I think ´Ñé¹´Õ dan (falling tone)dee , taking the "piercing,push through" meaning will be the word and is considered obscene in thai.

A stronger version of a "a good seeing to" is probably the meaning in colloquial English

Good job you werent trying to sell her your dundee saugages.
shakin' boxcar joe.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

shakin' boxcar joe wrote:Good job you werent trying to sell her your dundee saugages.
Great job, and sound explanation sbj, Thanks.

The only Scottish sausage we manufacture is Lorne Sausage, please tell me if the word 'Lorne' (pronounced Lawrne) has any connotations in Thai that I should be made aware of, only for future fun with partners of scottish customers of course. :D
Per Angusta In Augusta.
www.hamandbacon.co.th