1 + 1 = 3?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

1 + 1 = 3?

Post by PeteC »

The below is a quote from Khun Guess from the "low cost housing for thais" thread.

"In Bangkok I believe it is more a case of the signs of a rapidly developing economy. This is something that the new government will need to watch very closely. If salaries rise too much, Thailand may become a country where it is no longer viable to produce goods and large international corporates could move elsewhere. The phenonemon has being going on for years especially in the motor car and electronics industries. Currently Thailand is flavour of the month but that does not have to remain that way if economics dictate not."

This is of great interest to me as time and time again for decades I've watched the ever growing spread between Bangkok wealth and upcountry poverty. This is what got Thaksin elected folks, as false as his true motives have now turned out to be, apparently.

If the greedy ivory tower Thai's in Bangkok continue to push up wages and costs passed on to the multi-national companies here, there is no bloody place for the rank and file factory worker to go if the industries should pull out and find better pickings in Africa, Burma, Vietnam or wherever.

Thailand will have 80% of her population un-trained and not ready for the next step up in technology. Then what happens, chaos, anarchy, revolution?

There has always been a strong upper class structure here that has ignored education, for obvious purposes. It's all going to come home and roost.

I really hope (no, pray) that this new government has EDUCATION ranked as the highest priority.

Agree? Disagree? Tells us your thoughts please. :cheers: Pete
buksida

Post by buksida »

There is an interesting article in today's Asia Times regarding the shift in ecomomic powers to be expected from the new government:

In Thailand, a return to 'sufficiency'
The generals in Thailand derive their legitimacy from the King, and they wish to discard Thaksinomics and turn the economy toward the monarch's vision of "sufficiency" rather than maximization. But protectionism could dry up foreign investment, and that would put the sufficiency model to a supreme test.

Full Story
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson