Beware of Dogs

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
PeteC

Beware of Dogs

Post by PeteC »

This is a very sad story and is actually difficult to write.

There is a family living in the neighborhood next to us, a Brit and Thai wife with a little girl who is about 2 years 10 months old. We know the woman and child as they often frequent the little shop at the end of our road, the neighborhood meeting place so to speak. I don't know the man well.

This morning the little girl was out playing on her soi, the same as she does everyday. Quiet soi, no traffic etc. As she was walking, a dog that has know her for most of her life attacked her and very nearly killed her. Her Mother was nearby and is probably the only reason why she was saved. Her Mother has confirmed that no taunting was involved at all, the little girl was just walking.

She now has more than 50 + sutures in her face and neck. All along the left side of her neck, across her cheek, along the top of both eyes and along her entire scalp line. Both eyes are so swollen she can hardly see. Unless mother nature is kind due to her young age and heals her, she is in store for many operations and perhaps scars for life. She also has to get rabies shots now but these days, it's a set of 5 and in the arm only. No more stomach injections.

What makes things worse is that the Father is in Laos and does not know. He has his Thai cell phone and those work in Laos, but I think for only about 20 miles inland from the border. This little girl is the light of his life and I am afraid there is going to be both dog and human bloodshed when he returns.

The woman who apparently owns the dog and the dog have disappeared. Probably a smart move on their part.

So, the point of the story is that even if you think you know the temperment of a Thai street dog well, and you see them everyday for months, we don't know shit. Keep your children and yourselves away from them.

I don't want to impose on the family but if I am able to get a photo of the girl later on, I'll send to Buksida to post as a warning as to what can happen.

This is not going to be a Merry Christmas for this little girl and her family. Maybe say a little prayer for her. Pete :( :( :(
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

That sounds terrible what a thing to happen to someone so young. I hope the scaring won't be too bad, it always looks worse right after the event. My thoughts go out her family and of course the little girl herself.
www.35mmview.com
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Pete, my heartfelt sympathies & best wishes for the little girl & her family
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Kraka's Dad
Guru
Guru

Post by Kraka's Dad »

I can only echo the sentiments above.
What a tragic happening.

:cheers:
The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Thanks Dawn and Randy, I know this is a sore subject for you Dawn. Sometimes I just stand awe struck about certain things 'Thai' and certain things religious.

We have Buddhists who won't kill anything, we have Hindus who worship monkeys and cows, we have Muslims who are non-tolerant of anything and anyone else, we have Jews who use the past to form the future, and yes we have Christians who believe they know best about everything spiritual.

The Chinese and Vietnamese are still historically Buddhist and believe in it, even if they can't practice it openly, but they kill and eat dogs on a daily basis.

The work you do is wonderful but I think you also realize that 80% of the dogs in Thailand need to be put down and a very aggressive sterilization program put in place for the remainder. This is the only way tragedies such as this can be avoided here in the future, IMHO.

I love dogs more than most people I know, but you have to care for them and raise them like you do a child. Not just let them run wild. Sorry for the rant, this is just a bad thing that happened, very bad. Pete
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Pete, I really meant what I said, I have every sympathy for the family and the little girl & I truly hope things are not nearly as bad as they look now. I really mean that from the bottom of my heart. It is an awful thing to happen to anyone, especially a child.
But, I'm leaving this thread now. I can see (& understand) what's coming & I have a slight conflict of interest here. So, I'm bowing out & hope you understand...
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

No, nothing's coming, unless someone wants to debate religion and if so, after Christmas and on a new thread. I'm out. Peace. Pete :cheers: