Visiting San Paulo? Visit the ATM first!

Medical issues, doctors, dentists, opticians and hospitals in Hua Hin and Thailand.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Visiting San Paulo? Visit the ATM first!

Post by DawnHRD »

First of all, I'd like to make it absolutely clear that I am posting this as a member of HHAD, not as a mod or representative of them.

On Friday last week, one of our volunteers got in the middle of a fight between two of our dogs. While trying to get them into a safer area, she got bitten on the foot. I cleaned & dressed the wound, but advised her to get it dressed properly & to get a tetanus shot, as it was some time since her last one & it's muddy in the dog center. I also said she'd need oral antibiotics. We discussed her getting rabies shots, and it was of course her decision, but it wasn't necessary, as all our dogs are fully vaccinated & we last gave them their rabies shots a few weeks ago (a fact she knew to be true, as she helped me).

She tried to go to a Thai doctor in HH, but he was closed, so she went to San Paulo. They called her to the ER (Emergency Room), but she said "No" she was happy to wait in the general area, she had time & she didn't want to pay ER fees. The waiting room was almost empty. The nurse insisted, saying it was the convenient place to do the dressings & she wouldn't be charged extra fees, so she went.

They dressed the wound, gave her a tetanus shot & tried to force her into rabies shots, which she declined. She then went to pay her bill - 5,000 bt! :shock:

She demanded to know why it was so expensive & found that they had prescribed her antibiotics at a cost of 3,000 bt (any broad spectrum antibiotic is sufficient). She demanded they change this & wanted to know what the rest of the money was to pay for. Her actual treatment (doctor, dressing, nurse, tetanus shot) came to 500 bt approx. The rest was, you guessed it, ER fees! After specifically refusing them & being told she wouldn't have to pay them.

Eventually she paid 1,700 bt for something that should have cost about 400 bt, and left, very angry.

If visiting San Paulo for outpatient procedures, please be aware of this way of padding the bills. Refuse anything you don't feel is necessary & ask for an itemised bill, in English, so you can dispute anything that seems strange.
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
buksida

Post by buksida »

I can back this up, the daughter of a friend of mine was admitted last week and yes, straight into ER. They also insisted on keeping her over night for observation.

The bill for less than 24 hours in there ended up at 14,700 baht. It was itemized but there were plenty of dubious duplicates on there such as "inpatient care", "nursing fee", "midwife fee", "outpatient care", "discharge fee", "hospital administration fee", "hospital service fee" ...

Be very careful with SP hospital unless you have good health insurance or a big wallet!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

It seems common practice with Thai Hosptials (in BKK is same) to keep patients overnight.

The Thai people readily accept this, so I think it is very common. I don't think its targetted at farang.

Hospitals are private, and are commercial enterprises. Their commercial ethics are much the same as any Thai business. Get as much as you can!!!

I've had my staff in hospital (sometimes for more than 1 day) for fever, colds, broken toe nails! Same with the Thai kids at my duaghters' school - runny nose, off they go to hospital for 1 night.

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Jankou
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Jankou »

I went to the San Paolo about 04.00 am, They took me to the ER and then I was at the fourth floor about ten hours.

-Check bin

---17 000 Baht--- allmost 400 euros!
áµèÃ
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Yeah, the place is a total rip-off now. Some years ago, I went down with pneumonia and was in the process of dying before people eventually got me to SP and I was admitted for 2 nights.
Serious antibiotics by drip to clear in up, 2 nights there etc etc. Total cost, a little over 9,000B.
Was unlucky unough to be there for 10 days, 2 years ago, after an accident and the bill was over 100,000B. Luckily, the idiot who hit me paid for that through his insurance.
More recently, I had a nasty infection flare up overnight after a simple cut and refused to go to SP when my wife suggested it as I knew the pressure would have been to stay in overnight for observation. I simply went to the Polyclinic and got perscribed the right antibiotics for 650Baht - incl doctor's consultation. I was fine a week later.
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

I recently had a very good friend stay in sp (lower case to show disdain) He had some medication (a tablet a day) and very little medical attention, to the point where a very good female friend had to stay with him and look after him instead. The food was inedible, so good friends brought in food for him. The cost of this (non)treatment? over 7000 baht a day! He could have stayed at the Hilton for less. Shit hospital, shit dr, (I can personally recount at least 6 dangerous diagnoses made by him), shit staff (they are trained to a level below that of a paper boy) crap, crap, crap! Personally I have never known a good outcome to from this shambles of a hospital. My friend is now staying at a hospital in Bangkok with much better treatment at a much lower cost! If I ever need medical treatment - Take me to Burger King. The level of expertise is a good deal higher!!!!!!
www.35mmview.com
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Just because sp is bad and expensive doesn't mean the Polyclinic is good. The PC is cheaper - yes - but the skill levels are poor ...

e.g. A friend of mine was poorly so went to the PC and got a chest x-ray and was told he had a patch on his lung. They prescribed him anti-biotics and made an apointment for the following week. He was obviously very worried and was anxious to get back to the clinic to see if the patch on his lung had gone away. When he returned the next week after taking the pills, they had lost his records. Feeling they were not taking his case seriously, he visited sp who asked him to get the x-ray from the PC. The x-ray revealed the 'patch' on his lung turned out to be his heart!

Another friend had a motor bike accident and had scraped all his leg. I watched as the nurse cut away at fresh skin to take away the dirt from his leg. If she hadn't been told to stop after making the third hole in his leg, it would have required amputation. She was unnecessary cutting away good flesh right down to the bone.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

About a month ago the nipper got a temperature and a little more unwell as the day went on, about 8.00pm we took him to San Paolo, Doctor checked him over, said he had a bit of a virus, not serious, gave a prescription for medicine and said he would be fine in two days. Total bill 350 for Doctor - 1,200 Bht for medicine.

Got home and gave him his medicine, got him into bed and asleep. Middle of the night and he’s throwing up everywhere, did the same all next day, and actually stopped drinking anything. Evening took him back to the hospital, another 350Bht and - 750Bht for medicine.

No change in the night or morning, still just as sick. We then took him to Dr. Samet, the children’s doctor. He looked at the nipper, looked at the medicine, told us that there was a virus going round the kids at the moment and nothing to worry about, he said San Paolo had done nothing wrong except give me copies of the medicine he needed. Total bill for Doctor and Original Medicine - 180 Bht. The nipper was fine the next day.

San Paolo charged 10 X the price of the Original for a copy medicine that didn’t work.
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Fair point, Jockey. It's maybe a case of standards of health care not being particularly good here, when compared to the western world.
I've always found the Polyclinic very good for cleaning and dressing (but then so is anywhere and that includes The Red Cross).
Also, I'd point out that the PC is staffed from Petchurat Hospital in Petchaburi and that's generally regarded as the best in the area.
Sorry to hear about your friends. I suppose it just goes to show that you will always take a chance when having any medical treatment here in Thailand.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

JD wrote:About a month ago the nipper got a temperature and a little more unwell as the day went on, about 8.00pm we took him to San Paolo, Doctor checked him over, said he had a bit of a virus, not serious, gave a prescription for medicine and said he would be fine in two days. Total bill 350 for Doctor - 1,200 Bht for medicine.

Got home and gave him his medicine, got him into bed and asleep. Middle of the night and he’s throwing up everywhere, did the same all next day, and actually stopped drinking anything. Evening took him back to the hospital, another 350Bht and - 750Bht for medicine.

No change in the night or morning, still just as sick. We then took him to Dr. Samet, the children’s doctor. He looked at the nipper, looked at the medicine, told us that there was a virus going round the kids at the moment and nothing to worry about, he said San Paolo had done nothing wrong except give me copies of the medicine he needed. Total bill for Doctor and Original Medicine - 180 Bht. The nipper was fine the next day.

San Paolo charged 10 X the price of the Original for a copy medicine that didn’t work.
Yup. One thing I was told ages ago is that if you're prescribed anything from SP, sure take them first time round. But, if you need a repeat prescription, don't bother. Go to a pharmacy, with the name/s and you'll get the same stuff at a fraction of the cost. Just look at how JD's bills split between doc's fees and medicine.
I wouldn't suggest that for anything really serious, though.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

San....how much!!

Post by GLCQuantum »

Hello All,
Been meaning to post on this site for a fair while now and I thought what better way to start than having a dig at San Paulo.
After having a pretty horrific motorbike accident 4 or 5 months back now I originally went to Petcherat ( most probably misspelled ) for the operation and a week lie down on the bed. I was given the bad news that I needed a further 4 weeks bed rest in the hospital so I decided to move to San Paulo as it was more convenient for friends and family to visit. The bill for an extra 4 weeks at Petcherat would have been 30,000 baht, the final bill for lying down on a bed for four weeks at San Paulo was over 130,000 baht. After scanning through the bill I noticed a charge for doctor visits, 1,500 baht per visit which was almost daily. These visits consisted of "How are you feeling today" "You're hip will feel better soon" and a lift up and down of the leg.....3-4 minutes, 1,500 baht!!! Fortunately the bill was paid by the driver of the car....thank god!
My advice, steer clear of San Paulo, get yourself to Petcherat.
lomuamart

Re: San....how much!!

Post by lomuamart »

GLCQuantum wrote:Hello All,
Been meaning to post on this site for a fair while now and I thought what better way to start than having a dig at San Paulo.
After having a pretty horrific motorbike accident 4 or 5 months back now I originally went to Petcherat ( most probably misspelled ) for the operation and a week lie down on the bed. I was given the bad news that I needed a further 4 weeks bed rest in the hospital so I decided to move to San Paulo as it was more convenient for friends and family to visit. The bill for an extra 4 weeks at Petcherat would have been 30,000 baht, the final bill for lying down on a bed for four weeks at San Paulo was over 130,000 baht. After scanning through the bill I noticed a charge for doctor visits, 1,500 baht per visit which was almost daily. These visits consisted of "How are you feeling today" "You're hip will feel better soon" and a lift up and down of the leg.....3-4 minutes, 1,500 baht!!! Fortunately the bill was paid by the driver of the car....thank god!
My advice, steer clear of San Paulo, get yourself to Petcherat.
Amazing, isn't it. I was one night in HH hospital, with my leg split open from knee to ankle where the car hit me. Apparantly, a 3 hour operation to stitch it back together again - it wasn't broken. I woke up the next day in the corridor. No fans, seriously hot and people cleaning up around me.
Once I'd insisted that the driver's insurance company got me transferred to SP, I was there for another 10 days.
As I said, no break, but the risk of infection would have been great. Just as you've said, GLCQuantum, a doc came round once a day. I thought the food was OK, but my wife bought extra for me as my health recovered. I was on intravenous drips all of the time. The nurses were finding it hard to find a vein on either hand at the end and the fluid spilling out of them below the skin was the most painful part of the whole thing.
And it cost over 100,000 for 10 days!!! Not, 130,000 for 28ish. I'm sure I wouldn't have got any better treatment than you. Just an insurance job?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

PS - I've still got all the itemised receipts. I'll look at them and see how it stacked up.
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

As of a few years ago I was a regular viistor of San Paolo Hospital cause of my visits. Had consumed too much booze had an Alcohol Crash. Yeah them Doctors had idagnosed me and kept me in for one night and gave me an Glucose Infusion and some tablets for me to eat after every meal. After a night @ SP and 2 bottles of gluclose and a pack of tablets The Bill Amounted to 16000 to 19000 Baht each time I went in their. First they don't let me leave the Hospital until I paid their services.
Ohh Year one time I had to stay @ SP Hospital on Satursay and Sunday had to wait for my Aunt in Bangkok to tranmsfer me the money over to my Bank Account on Monday morning.
Thank God I have a reliable insurance allthough I have to pay SP upfront but after I had sent in my Hospital Bills to claim my refund they even rounded the Amount up to the thousands. and it took them just a few weeks to send the chack.
For all others who weren't as Lucky as I am I would like to say that Another alternative would be the all new facility that's being build for Hua Hin Hospital which I heard should house a state of the art Heart Centre Inside. It will be finished in about six to eight months time and I hope it would be cheaper than the Rip off San Paolo!!!
Your's the understudy!!!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
Randy Cornhole
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Randy Cornhole »

About 5 months ago a friend of mine had a bad bike accident and was taken to sp, they said he needed his arm amputated.....! He said no way and that he was going to keep his arm. Today he has 80% use back, and it gets a bit better every day. Thank god he wasn't unconscious.... :shock:
Another friend of mine was in a wheel chair and some friends wanted to wheel him outside for some air and a change of scenery, guess what, one of his friends had to leave his watch and credit card in case they stole him..... Priceless. :shock:
Hopefully this new hospital will put sp out of business!
www.35mmview.com