Extending Two Month Tourist Visa

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
dewijones
Novice
Novice

Extending Two Month Tourist Visa

Post by dewijones »

I am in Thailand on a two month tourist visa.
This can be extended by 30 days.
What is involved in extending a visa ???
Do i have to show anything ???
Proof of funds ???
Air ticket out ???
Dewi
Dewi
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's a pretty straightforward proceedure.
Go to any imm office, fill the relevant form in (take a couple of passport photos - I think you only need one). There's a space on the form for why you want to extend. Just say you want to stay longer to see more of the country. Pay the fee - 1,900 Baht. Shouldn't take long at all and there won't be any need to show funds or onward ticket.
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

OK, a two month tourist visa can be extended for another 30 days, which gives you the same amount of time as coming in on a 30 day tourist visa and leaving the country twice. What I would like to know is if it is possible to extend that two month visa for more than 30 days, or to re-extend it after the 30 days is up. I am coming over end of April, and I would ideally like to be in Thailand for about 4 months.
Reason for this is that I have just (belatedly) filed divorce papers, and I am told that decree absolute takes about 5 months. TGF and I would like to marry in Thailand before returning to Europe, so as to make her visa easier. Last time she came on a 1 month tourist visa, and I got a 4 month extension for her (for €500!), but they wouldn't extend it again. (I'm an Englishman living in Greece). So have any of you fountains of knowledge on all things Thai got any suggestions? I could really do with some helpful info.
Cheers! :cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

You might get another 7-14 day extension to the Tourist Visa, after it's already been extended by 30 days. It's up to the imm officer. I'm afraid you won't get another 30 days.
Two alternatives to allow you to stay here for 4-5 months is to simply do 30 day border runs after the tourist visa has expired. You can now remain in the country for 90 days in 180 on these visa exemptions. That way you could be here for close on 6 months.
Also, think about getting a double-entry TV. Once the first entry and extension has expired, cross a border and get another 60 days on reentry. This again can be extended for 30 days. So, you've got up to approx 6 months again.
One thing to check is that the Embassy/consulate in Greece will give you a double-entry if you're English. A lot of missions now are not giving more than one entry, other than to their own nationals. A simple telephone call should suffice and even if they won't, you've got the alternative of doing 3 border runs. Either way, staying here for up to 6 months should be easy.
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

Some good info from Loumart regardind tourist visa.
Are you going for the Mickey Mouse wedding or the real deal?
Difference being...The Thai Bhuddist wedding is not recognised by the UK authorities, the "registered" one is.
If you would like any tips on the real one, please feel free to visit me when you are in this neck of the woods.
A PM to visit me will suffice.
Onlyme :D
¼Ã
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Has anybody actually been to immigration and got the tourist visa extended for 30 days. Many of these rules changed on October 1st and I am yet to see a passport with a tourist visa and 30 day extension. Until I see one I will not believe it. Lomu is right that some of these decisions are made at the discretion of the immigration officer.

As for the one month tourist visa, there is obviously a terminology issue here. There is no such thing as a one month tourist visa for UK citizen (or any of the other 40 acceptable nations) nor is it possible to get a four month extension legally. Tourist visas are always three month or six month. They can be anything from single entry to 4 entry.

At the moment the neighboring countries are only issuing three month single entry visas. When entering the country with one of these visas a sixty day stamp is put on the passport and the visa is marked USED. I have had an extension on one of these before but only 14 days but that is all I needed.

If you can still get a 30 day extension I think the chance of extending again without having the right contacts is zero.

Has anybody out there actually managed to get an extension?
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
Nisakiman
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Nisakiman »

lomuamart, thanks for the info - have I got it right here that if I get a 60 day tourist visa, and before the 60 days runs out I hop over to Laos or wherever, they will rubber-stamp me another 30 days on re-entry? And I can do that twice more without hassle? If so, that would be all I need, I think.
Guess, my GF established a contact with someone in the Thai embassy in Athens, and when she emailed him to ask about tourist visas for me, he told her that the best he could do was a 60 day tourist visa, which I may, or may not be able to extend at immigration in Thailand. There was no mention of 3 or 6 month tourist visas. And this guy was really helpful on other issues she was enquiring about, so I don't think he was stonewalling. Or have I misunderstood what you are getting at? i.e. max lengths of stay on a particular type of visa by fair means or foul!
:cheers:
κάνω ό,τι μου καπνίσει
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

No, you can extend your Tourist Visa within Thailand for an extra 30 days for a fee of 1,900Baht.
Easy, I promise you.
You must have a visa as opposed to a 30 day stamp though. You won't have any problems.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Guess,
I was at imm yesterday. I've got the form (TM7) to extend my visa for a year. I'm married to a Thai person though.
The only difference is that the questioner is looking to extend a Tourist Visa(60 days on arrival) by 30 days for 1,900B.
Easy.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Onlyme wrote:Some good info from Loumart regardind tourist visa.
Are you going for the Mickey Mouse wedding or the real deal?
Difference being...The Thai Bhuddist wedding is not recognised by the UK authorities, the "registered" one is.
If you would like any tips on the real one, please feel free to visit me when you are in this neck of the woods.
A PM to visit me will suffice.
Onlyme :D
By the way, the Buddhist blessing of marriage isn't recognised legally in Thaialnd either.
Onlyme
Professional
Professional

Post by Onlyme »

A 90 day tourist visa is good for a 60 day stamp on entry, return to any Immigration office and get ( the rest of your visa ) 30 days for 1,900 baht.
If I'm not mistaken :oops:you may be able to get an additional 10 day stamp for another 1,900 baht?
A friend of mine got the extra 30 day stamp at Huahin Immigration the other week. :D
¼Ã
nico
Novice
Novice

Visa Extension

Post by nico »

I thought this was being a bit cheeky but tried it anyway.
I had used the 15 months of my non imm o 12 month multiple entry visa,went to Ranong yesterday and over to Myanmar. On returning I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I was granted a 30 day tourist stamp. I asked if that would be my last and the Immigration Officer told me I could have 2 more. Not such a bad day.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

lomuamart wrote: By the way, the Buddhist blessing of marriage isn't recognised legally in Thaialnd either.
Same the world over. What's done at the courthouse is the real deal, at the church just for tradition.

I've actually known some Thai girls who opted for the ceremony only to save face in the village as they were not yet totally comfortable with the farang. Plan was to do the registration deal at a later date if all worked out. Not bad thinking. Pete :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

Nisakiman wrote:lomuamart, thanks for the info - have I got it right here that if I get a 60 day tourist visa, and before the 60 days runs out I hop over to Laos or wherever, they will rubber-stamp me another 30 days on re-entry? And I can do that twice more without hassle? If so, that would be all I need, I think.
Guess, my GF established a contact with someone in the Thai embassy in Athens, and when she emailed him to ask about tourist visas for me, he told her that the best he could do was a 60 day tourist visa, which I may, or may not be able to extend at immigration in Thailand. There was no mention of 3 or 6 month tourist visas. And this guy was really helpful on other issues she was enquiring about, so I don't think he was stonewalling. Or have I misunderstood what you are getting at? i.e. max lengths of stay on a particular type of visa by fair means or foul!
:cheers:
With regards, hopping across the border to Laos. No you have got it wrong if we are still talking about the 3 month valid 60 day stamp single entry vis obtainable from all neighboring countries. Single entry (type S) means just that. When you enter Thailand the first time it is used and will be marked USED by immigration at the border entry point, whether it be land, sea or air.

Terminology again. The visa is valid for entry for three months but only allows an uninterrupted stay in Thailand o 60 Days (almost two months).

Also Greece is not a neighboring country so you should be able to obtain the same visa that is available in any EU country. Citizens may find they are entitled to different visas from foreigners and the passport holder country also will make a difference.
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

lomuamart wrote:Guess,
I was at imm yesterday. I've got the form (TM7) to extend my visa for a year. I'm married to a Thai person though.
The only difference is that the questioner is looking to extend a Tourist Visa(60 days on arrival) by 30 days for 1,900B.
Easy.
The OP specifically mentioned tourist visas. A Non-O based upon marriage and a tourist vis have no connection whatsoever.
Onlyme wrote: ....return to any Immigration office and get ( the rest of your visa ) 30 days for 1,900 baht.
If I'm not mistaken :oops:you may be able to get an additional 10 day stamp for another 1,900 baht?
A friend of mine got the extra 30 day stamp at Huahin Immigration the other week.
This is more like the sort of response we need. I set up a thread that was specifically set aside for actual experiences since the changes in October. This post should go onto that.

Also a follow up of the extension on the extension would be useful.

BTW. Back to the hopping over to Laos. If you are going to go that far you might as well go the the Thai embassy in Vian Chan and get another tourist visa.

I have been told by immigration in Hua Hin that tourist visas can be issued back to back with no limits which confirmed what I have always believed. I have yet to see a passport where this has been done though. It is for this reason that I could not understand why so many people got into a panic when the 30 day visa exemption system was curtailed. Those using that system to stay in Thailand only need to switch to tourist visas. The annual cost is about the same and you only have to travel four times in one year instead of twelve times.