Train to Bangsphan

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
StevieC
Novice
Novice

Train to Bangsphan

Post by StevieC »

I read last year they were going to organize train trips at the weekends to Bang Saphan down the coast. Are they actually running and has anyone done a day trip to there? If so, what time is the first train ?
Welcome any comments and suggestions.
8)
Ergo Bibamus
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

I have not heard of any new service. The railway has been there since before WW2. I am not sure that all the trains stop ther but is is another stop somewhere between Bang Saphan Noi & Bang Saphan Yai.

It is unlikely that day trips will be started as the line is already clogged with freight trains delivering cheap crap from China to Singapore to be loaded on ships destined for London and New York.

Here is a link to the time table. Trains are timed for journeys to and from BKK so they arrive at Hua Hin at all sorts of funny hours.

http://www.railway.co.th/English/Time_PDF.asp
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

StevieC, I was in HH this time last year and those trips I think had just started.
If u have a look at this link, you may find what you are looking for
http://bangsaphanguide.com/news/huahin- ... n-trip.htm
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Exactly Chelsea,
Another Orient Express. It looked nice and it only took 5/6hrs one way from BKK to HH and then another 4 or so to Bang Saphang. A really good day out., especially if you're on a return.
Reckon it must have died a death, but it was big news for a day here. TV cameras out, dignatries getting on and off the train.
Can't remember what the price from HH to BS was, but it was way too much.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

By the Flipping Way,
I'm on the 2am air con service to Chumphon tonight. A "rapid" train? Dunno, but its air con and gets us in there at approx 6am. Not bad for 350 Baht.
After that, my missus and I have to find our own way to Phuket'ish, via Ranong.
As long as I stay awake, it shouldn't be too bad. Must have travelled down that road at least 50 times.
StevieC
Novice
Novice

Post by StevieC »

Thanks for info Chelsea, I had seen that story last year, that's why I wondered if anything came of it. As usual, all talk and no action. TIT !
I've been to HH many times and was just looking for somewhere different to go for a day out. I think we will just take the bus instead.

8)
Ergo Bibamus
buksida

Post by buksida »

Bangsaphan is a top place, you can take the ordinary train which will take about 3 hours.

Be careful of the buses, if its not a direct one you'll get dropped off on Petchkasem road with another 15km to do to get into BS town.

The journey is a pleasant 2 hours by car.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Steve you can catch the normal train down there I think, but not sure if it is a regular stop. I read an artical last week about someone who done the trip from Malaysia to HH & BS and were full of praise of the service they got from the Thai Railways.

Here is the article here
http://www.bangsaphanguide.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36
Is one of the bottom posts.

It may pay (if you cannot speak Thai), to get someone who can, to organise the stop otherwise you may get a mystery tour to somewhere you do not want to go.

If you do it I would be intersted to see how you go as I had been toying with the idea of something along the same lines, and then hire local taxis while there to tour around
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"