New draft constitution approved.

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

New draft constitution approved.

Post by STEVE G »

BANGKOK, Thailand (Thomson Financial) - A military-appointed council on Friday approved a draft constitution that is meant to pave the way for the first elections in Thailand since last year's coup.
The charter is set to go before the public in a referendum tentatively scheduled for August 19.
Following are main points of the new charter:
-- Prime minister: The premier would be limited to eight years in office.
-- House of Representatives: The number of seats would be cut from 500 to 480.
-- Senate: The number of seats would be reduced from 200 to 150, and nearly half of them would be appointed by a selection committee comprising judges, election officials and civic groups.
-- Press freedom: Politicians would be barred from holding a stake in media companies.
-- Impeachment: The prime minister and other officials could be impeached for ethical violations.
-- Conflicts of interest: The prime minister, as well as any spouse or children would be barred from holding major stakes in private companies.
All cabinet ministers and lawmakers would be required to declare all of their assets.
-- Public participation: An impeachment motion could be brought if 20,000 voters sign a petition.
Constitutional amendments could be brought with 100,000 signatures.
Only 10,000 voters would need to sign a petition to sponsor a draft law.
-- Treaties: Public hearings would be required before Thailand could sign any international agreement. People who believe they have been harmed by a treaty could seek compensation.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Tell you what Steve,
I'd be interested to know what the constitution said prior to September last year. I must admit I don't know.
I wonder if I could find it on the internet, or maybe not?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

You might find out Lomu, because the CNS has said that if this version doesn’t get voted in they are just going to pick an old version and use that anyway!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

It's getting late here in HH, and I'll get shot for raising these points regarding the new constitution :
!/ I don't believe anything they say and I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm going to bed now.
That's all really. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
OK,
1. I assume it's 2 times four years? I'd hate to think that anyone got in for the full 8.
2. H of R - dunno. But I can't see that reducing the number of people is good.
3. Ditto - and even more sinister. A bad move.
4. Press freedom - I didn't say anything and I uphold my fundamental right not to do so.
5. What does "ethics" mean?
6. This has got nothing to do with Shincorp, does it?
7. That is a good one - public participation?
20,000 votes to start impeachment? Easy, we'll get that from "wherever".
100,000 people in Thailand say "NO" or "YES"? to constitutional amendments? Anarchy. That will never work.

I can't be bothered with the rest. It will never happen here.

That may be my jaundiced eye on things, but if Thailand is serious about these "constitutional/democratic" reforms, then put it to the vote. Put it to the referendum.
That's all really. Time will tell. Free the elephants.
:thumb:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm going to bed now.
That's all really. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Thats because you've already had your Saturday night, I'm still at work, but that all changes in about ten minutes when I finish and head down to the big city of Luxembourg where you can at least drink until it gets light!(or you fall over, whichever comes first.)
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm waiting for the sunlight.
Tomorrow's another day.