Champions League 2007/08

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

Chelsea wrote:
best all-round midfielder in the world for me. No diving, play acting, hard as they come but just gets on with it. Reminds me of Darren Anderton LMAO
Super Joe you must be having a laugh comparing Stevie G to Sicknote (Darren Anderton). Not a Spurs fan by anychance SJ.
Yeah course I was joking about him, that's why I put 'LMAO' - he was a fraud, refused to tackle.

Terry's a great defender etc, but just hate the way he whinges to ref, chasing round the pitch next to Drogba, Ukelele etc
I'd still want him in any team mind.
Last edited by Super Joe on Fri May 23, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

WL, PC talk or Parent talk are much the same sort of thing when it comes to this sort of discission. It is thrown about in Australia all the time when a high profile person steps out of line.

I am not taking a stand for JT just because he is our captain, but for the reason that, because of his attitude when playing, his leadership qualities and his unrelenting will to win at all times, will make him the perfect candidate for the job. That is the qualities that are needed from a captain when he is leading the side.

What is the point of having a captain/leader of the team that does not have those qualities. All we will have is a national team that will never achieve anything in its lifetime again.

If JT was ever to leave Chelsea there would be a mountain of teams in the UK and all over the world that would want to sign him.
They would not worry about some indescertions that happens years agao, they would want to sign him for all of the qualities that I have previously mentioned, not because he is a good roll model for peoples children.

Did Australia bother about what trouble Ricky Ponting had been in while he was a young test player.
No they did not, they made him captain because he was the best person for the job, and for that reason more than any, it is why Australia are probably the best cricketing team in the world at present under his leadership.

Sorry WL, but if all sporting teams picked captains just to please childrens parents and their obsession with players being role models to their kids, we would have some very sorry sporting teams with absolutley no spirtit.

It is the parents job to teach kids discipline and the right way to behave in the world, not sporting stars.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

chelsea,
We are going to have to agree to disagree on this, but like it or not your team's captain is a disgraceful human being, and acts like a child when things aren't going his way; loses a big game? Cries like a baby. Doesn't like foreigners or coloured people? Makes abusive remarks and/or spits at them. Does a crime? Makes sure someone else does the time. The man has the backbone of a jellyfish and isn't fit to play for England, let alone captain them. He is a common or garden thug who happens to play football well. I know this can apply to many footballers, but most of them are not in the running to lead their country. Ponting put his bad boy times behind him because he grew up; Terry hasn't grown up and I doubt he ever will. How can any black English player have respect for a man that was sent off for racial abuse?
By the way i agree that it is a parents job to teach their children discipline etc, but people like Terry undo a lot of the good work that responsible parents do. Thankfully my children will never grow up as Chelsea fans, but they will follow England and i do not want that man as captain! I trust Capello saw the antics of Terry though, so i think he may not even be first choice as a player now, especially considering the wealth of central defenders England has currently. I think the fact that it was Steve McLaren who chose him as England captain says it all really... :twisted:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Zidane wrote:I'm a United a fan but John Terry is one of the few players in Chelseas team of mercenaries and whingers I admire.
:shock: a man utd fan calling any team mercenaries & whingers ? :shock:
definately a case of pot kettle black :D

in the terry v ferdinand dispute, i'm the least pc bloke you'll ever likely to meet but there is a case to be answered concerning role models.
when young players see their idols back chatting the ref, questioning every decision, using foul language & general bad sportsmanship they will copy them just the same as they will copy the fancy stepovers & goal celebrations.
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

All United fans are blessed with selective memory RZR.

They wont remember the Impeccable behaviour of the United players after the loss to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge and how Ferguson and his little yes man Queiroz show great humility after any defeat.
JD
Legend
Legend

Post by JD »

I watched the match the other night, as soon as Drogba touched the other player I knew he was off. I didn't see the Terry/Tevez spitting incident though.

I've been trying to get another look on youtube, but the only video showing the incident is from a phone camera pointing at someones TV. Even on this poor quality copy, you can see Terry spit on Tevez's neck. I hope someone puts up an original copy of the incident for all to see.

This is disgusting behavior from any player, but from Terry's point of view, I've lost all respect for the man. I don't want him captaining my national team if that's his true colour.

I came away from watching the match thinking he was close to being MOTM. I actually felt sorry for him when he missed the penalty. Not now, karma can be swift sometimes.

And not one newspaper picked up on it, not one backlash from any media (except the internet).

I can only imagine the scorn and media attention if it was Tevez that spat on our beloved England Captain.

Spits like a girl and cries like a baby, so much for role models. :cuss:
Per Angusta In Augusta.
-----------------------------------------------
http://www.facebook.com/huahinhamandbacon
www.hamandbacon.co.th
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

YouTube doesn't seem to have any proper videos available of the incident, but there is one here http://mysoccermedia.com/index.php?modu ... &lang_id=1 with what sounds like some Arabic language from the commentator.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

I,too,was unaware of the Terry-Tevez spitting incident.
If true I'm pretty disgusted with Terry.I thought he had put that sort of behaviour behind him.

But Baa Baa,you are right.....as a United fan my memory isnt what it should be.
You know I cant even remember when Liverpool were last English Champions.
I can remember Benitez and the glory years of Roy Evans and Gerard Houllier.....who was the top manager before him ? hmmm......Souness :D

Zidane
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

You wouldnt remember Zidane.

If your a United fan Football was none existent until Sky got there filthy hands on it and the topflight was renamed The Premier League. :wink:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

sky

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:You wouldnt remember Zidane.

If your a United fan Football was none existent until Sky got there filthy hands on it and the topflight was renamed The Premier League. :wink:
& steak & kidney pies & bovril were replaced by prawn sandwiches & champers :D
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.