How do they make a profit ?

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

How do they make a profit ?

Post by crazy88 »

A small eaterie has just opened at the top of soi 88 overlooking the lake on the right just past Mango Grove and the turning to Smart House .As I live close by I thought I would try it .The food is basic but excellent thai 'dish on top of rice stuff' for the moment .The place was full of local Thais and those that work at the nearby Govt. offices .

Happy with the food and service I asked for the bill .

Pad Grapow gai , kai dow

Khow pad gai

Pad prik on, kai dow

1 small chang

1 pepsi

1 ice black coffee

90 baht total

Is there anywhere else in Hua Hin where you can feed 3 people for 90 baht ?

In case you think they got the bill wrong

20 baht per dish

pepsi 10

chang 22

coffee free

let us off the 2

Cost me 5000 in Lets Sea for 4 without wine the night before . :cry:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

crazy88,

I have occassionally eaten at those sort of prices at various places all over Thailand. If my daughter had her way, we would eat at those prices for every meal, for the duration of our visit. Our problem is that I am Farang, and prefer to frequent the Westernised areas where we are all ripped off.

I know that our first meal on every visit comes from somewhere similar to what you describe. Always knackered from the journey, we tell my daughter what we want; and she goes out on her motorbike to fetch it for us. This first meal of every holiday is always at budget prices.

If I go back to my visit 2 years ago, my wife's brother visited us with his family. Trying to do the decent thing I took everybody to one of Hua Hin's pier restaurants. My wife's brother and his family were not all happy to let me pay the money - they said they would rather me give them the money, and they would buy food elsewhere. At the time I was very angry, but with hindsight I can see why they objected paying 200 Baht for a 20 Baht meal.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

I agree Big Boy, I didnt expect Chao Lay for example to be twice the price of Bam Bams.

I rate Bam Bams (Gaos) as the best place on the poolsuk/bintabaht area, or moon smile platoo at a close second.

If you want to eat "in town" both are superb but if your your just scooting about I think I'll give that place a try.

Cheers Crazy88.

:cheers:
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Not disagreeing with you at all BaaBaa, but my daughter even cringes at Bam Bams prices. Even with Bam Bams you can get cheaper food in the same strip of eating places, but you usually get a larger helping there.

Points 48; Position 20
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

True.
I normally get a free Dish or two thrown in if theres a couple of us though Big Boy. Happy Customer. :wink: :cheers:

Cant Complain!
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

At least we arent the Hilton/Sofitel lot who get a TukTuk over the road and think they're getting a bargain! :thumb:

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I normally get my breakfast/lunch in Hua Hin at a one of a few places like this on Petchakasem around the Hua Hin hospital area. They charge 20 bt for pork or chicken on rice and 25 bt for seafood, water is thrown in and if you want beer you get it from the local 7/11.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

BaaBaa. wrote:True.
I normally get a free Dish or two thrown in if theres a couple of us though Big Boy. Happy Customer. :wink: :cheers:

Cant Complain!
Same here, usually get a starter and/or sweet free - There are always at least 7 of us.
At least we arent the Hilton/Sofitel lot who get a TukTuk over the road and think they're getting a bargain! :thumb:
:lach: :lach: :lach:

Points 48; Position 20
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

My Thai girlfriend also complains whenever a meal is more than 30 Baht. She is right by saying that the green chicken curry I just had for 90 Baht is available at Thai places for 20 Baht BUT the 90 Baht one is generously filled with tender chicken meat whereas the 20 Baht one consists of only bones with hardly any meat on them, skin and if you are lucky an eye or two. I know the Thais like it that way and I CAN eat it, but I go for the 90 Baht version every now and then if you don't mind. And I do not think most Hilton/Sofitel guests are really looking for the 20 Baht bargain. 90 Baht (2 Euro) is good enough. I remember the last time I had chicken green curry in a Thai restaurant in Amsterdam it cost me 12,50 Euro.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Silly me who believe the 270 Bt pepper steak is a bargain.
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
Condoking
Professional
Professional

Post by Condoking »

Norseman wrote:Silly me who believe the 270 Bt pepper steak is a bargain.
with or without trimmings?
"Sometimes I sits and thinks, and then again I just sits" Punch 24th Oct 1906
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Norseman wrote:Silly me who believe the 270 Bt pepper steak is a bargain.
Not silly at all. I know your comment is tongue in cheek, but the fact is most of us can afford to make that choice. Most of my cheaper meals (apart from the first each holiday) have been on my travels, when there is not the same choice available.

Unfortunately, with low wages, most Thais eat what they can afford. I know if I suggested to my daughter that she spend 270 Baht for a steak she'd think I was having a laugh. However, she'll normally let me pay that much :P

Points 48; Position 20
Gordon Bennett
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gordon Bennett »

My lady friend took me and a friend and his wife to Baan Issan opposite the army camp on the way to Cha Am. Nice restaurant, above average band, Large Beer Leo only 45B, special offer of Som Tam only 1B a plate (I kid you not). We stayed for nearly three hours, plenty of food (Prawn Pannang was the best I've had) total bill including beer was only 420B. :thumb:
The understudy
Ace
Ace

Post by The understudy »

Hello there

I had a pleasant expirience in Hua Hin duirng my study years where I had a typical Vienna Schnitzel under 100 Baht. Which of the Tourist eatery do you gueys know to get a German/Austrian Dish so cheap in Hua Hin? This eatery was located in the old Hua Hin Nighc Bazaar walking from thrugh Hua Hin Nightmarket it was on the leftside through a small entrance you can get into it. I went to that place when after every Midterm and Final Exam to celebrate the ocsasion. But in late 2003 as I could remember Hua Hin Night Bazaar closed down which had mabe me really Sad. There was no place in Hua Hin else where I get a Vienna Schnitzel for under a 100 Bucks. Period!!!

Your"s The understudy!
In Love with Hua Hin since 19naughty9 and it ain't fading!!!
(My fable for All Things Japanese knows no boundaries!) Proud Student of Stamford University Hua Hin Campus from 1999 to 2004 (5th Batch of Graduates.)
“Once you survive Stamford U Hua Hin Campus only you can survive anything!!!”
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Gordon Bennett wrote:My lady friend took me and a friend and his wife to Baan Issan opposite the army camp on the way to Cha Am. Nice restaurant, above average band, Large Beer Leo only 45B, special offer of Som Tam only 1B a plate (I kid you not). We stayed for nearly three hours, plenty of food (Prawn Pannang was the best I've had) total bill including beer was only 420B. :thumb:
Gordon Bennet, we use that place when I’m in town as from where we live, if you are driving, it’s far quicker to get to than anywhere downtown. My partner is going to be pretty unimpressed she missed the Som Tam 1 bt special; they always have something for 1 bt, but in August it was Pepsi.