HH by car from Bangkok

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
Fugazi
Rookie
Rookie

HH by car from Bangkok

Post by Fugazi »

Hi ,
Am returning to HH soon , and am picking up a car at airport , I seen some directions here on the site , but think they may be from the old airport? ... just wondering can anyone help with the best directions from airport to HH, have tried many maps online but cant get definitive road map.
Cheers in advance
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Try hiring a car with a GSP system in it, will be the easiest way and not have to have someone else reading the map book that also has no idea of where they are going
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Always Borrow Money from a Pesimist. "They Never Expect it Back"
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

When on the expressway follow the signs to Samut Sakhon. When you get over the Rama X1 bridge (huge bridge with a big river underneath) stay on highway 35 until you see a sign for Pranburi at this point turn into highway 4 then drive for over 1 hour until you reach BIG C. After BIG C and another 30 minutes drive turn left at sign Cha Am / Hua Hin.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Jockey..........Almost right

For Pranburi read Petchaburi

There are no signs for Pranburi until you reach the Hua Hin byepass, just North of Cha Am.

On expressway follow signs for Dao Khanong.

At end of express way take right hand land which curves under left hand lane and is signposted, Samut Sakhon.

Keep on straight.

Samut Sakhon

Samut Sonmkrham

After approx 100km at end of highway 35 (Rama 2 Road) take left sign to Petchaburi Hua Hin & Cha Am are also signposted at this point

You are then Southbound on Highway 4 (Petchkasem Road)

Petchaburi

Ta Yang

Just North of Cha Am take left fork well signposted Cha Am, Hua Hin

Cha Am

Hua Hin

Total distance from Rama 1X Bridge - about 195Km

Hope this helps
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Jockey was correct, Terry, apart from the Pranburi in place of Petchaburi. He was directing over the new bridge and not Rama IX. Quicker than the old route.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

HHTel wrote:Jockey was correct, Terry, apart from the Pranburi in place of Petchaburi. He was directing over the new bridge and not Rama IX. Quicker than the old route.
So how do you get from the new Airport to the new bridge? I came into the city on Friday night from the airport, and although I had an aspiring F1 driver, I tried in vain to follow the signs that point to the new bridge. :?
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

HHTel wrote:Jockey was correct, Terry, apart from the Pranburi in place of Petchaburi. He was directing over the new bridge and not Rama IX. Quicker than the old route.
I think Terry is correct! I've never been on the new bridge!!!! Maybe I get home faster without knowing it :)
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

True - the directions given are from the existing Rama IX Bridge - apologies for any confusion.

However

Since whether you are coming from 'central' BKK over Rama IX bridge on the expressway, or from the newly completed ring road and the new 'Mega Bridge", the routes join at the ring road intersection of Highway 35 anyway. At approx Km 10.

So from this point on I stand by my previous posting.....

Samut Sakhon

Samut Sonmkrham

After approx 100km at end of highway 35 (Rama 2 Road) take left sign to Petchaburi Hua Hin & Cha Am are also signposted at this point

You are then Southbound on Highway 4 (Petchkasem Road)

Petchaburi

Ta Yang

Just North of Cha Am take left fork well signposted Cha Am, Hua Hin

Cha Am

Hua Hin

Happy Motoring :thumb:
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

If you're driving, when you exit the airport (follow the signboard that says, 'Bangkok') you'll find yourself on Highway 7, the Chonburi-Bangkok highway, also known as Rama 9 road. Keep going straight on, keep to the right and get on the expressway (blue signboard). Make sure you have enough small change for the tolls, though they will change large banknotes.

Don't worry about finding the new bridge if you're not familiar with Bangkok or you'll get lost. I live in Bangkok and have yet to look for it.

Take Terry's advice once you're on the expressway and follow the signs that lead to Dao Khanong until AFTER the Rama 9 bridge. You then want to follow the sign that says Samut Sakhon on the right fork, NOT Dao Khanong. If you're unfortunate enough to do that, there is a U-turn just a bit further up the road so all is not lost.
วินเชนท์
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

VincentD wrote:Take Terry's advice once you're on the expressway and follow the signs that lead to Dao Khanong until AFTER the Rama 9 bridge. You then want to follow the sign that says Samut Sakhon on the right fork, NOT Dao Khanong. If you're unfortunate enough to do that, there is a U-turn just a bit further up the road so all is not lost.
Have to agree with you there! The first time I tried the expressway I was told the same thing: "follow the signs to Dao Khanong". Very confusing until you have actually done it, the way Terry has explained is correct, just something else that you have to watch out for along with the speeding..... :cuss:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

I think Terry's directions should be a "Sticky" - I'll certainly cut n' paste it when needed to give people directions. Well done Terry!
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

Glad to help
Nice to know that my weekly commute has spawned something of use!
:cheers:

I think as I have reported elsewhere - since the opening of the new ring road, the traffic density over Rama IX Bridge has dropped dramatically

:thumb:
Winkie
Guru
Guru

Post by Winkie »

The Outer Ring road adn the new Bridge is definately the best way to go - I do this weekly adn its daved a complet hour off the journey. From Samut Prakarn I can reach Cha Am in eaxactly 2 hours, prevously 3hrs via Rama IX Bridge.

From Suwarnabhumi the time saving would be about the same, maybe a little less, but certainly you can save 45mins. And until Feb 2009 ther is no toll so its 40Baht cheaper!!!!

From teh Airport, you can reach the Outer Ring Road in 2 different ways (probably more, but I'm familiar with 2).

Via Bangkok-Pattaya Motorway

From Airport, follow signs to Bangkok
Join Motorway (leftish kinda maneauvre)
Travel 7 kms, look for Blue Sign to Rama II and to Bang Pa-In (different directions). You want to take the Rama II direction (or the opposite of Bang Pa-In, if Rama II isn't posted)
Keep going
You'll be on the other side of Chao Prya within 30 mins
Join Rama II Road and then follow Terry's instructions to Samut Sakorn/Samut Songkram

Via Bangna Trad
From Airport follow signs to Bangna-Trad
Join Bangna Trad in direction of Bang Na (opposite to Chonburi - a kind of rightish move this time!)
After a few kms look for Blue Sign to Rama II and to Bang Pa-In (different directions). You want to take the Rama II direction (definetly posted as Rama II)
Keep going
You'll be on the other side of Chao Prya within 30 mins
Join Rama II Road and then follow Terry's instructions to Samut Sakorn/Samut Songkram

I think the second option is slightly quicker and cheaper.

Its peice of cake, the road is wonderful, and the time saving and toll saving are a refreshing change in Bangkok.

Unless you are coming from Centrla Bangkok, the Rama IX Bridge route is to be totally avoided, its slow and frustrating getting over the brdige at most times

Winkie
Only the crumbliest, flakiest Winkie....
Terry
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Terry »

As I've said before.

Since the opening of the full ring road, the traffic over Rama IX Bridge has dropped dramatically - it is no longer the grind that it used to be
So - even if you are going to / from central BKK or even the old airport - it's quicker now than before.
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Post by Jockey »

Excellent thread. Its a win win situ.