Honda Phamtom

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
huahinsimon
Professional
Professional

Honda Phamtom

Post by huahinsimon »

Please post your experiences/opinions with Honda Phantom. any modificatons recommended (please dont flame), best place for service/parts, etc.

thanks
HHS

You show me your love and I'll show you mine.
The devil made me do it the first time.
The second time I did it on my own.

When I finally got to the land of milk and honey, the milkman shot me

Happy wife, Happy life!
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

I rode one up in Chang Mai

They are pretty good little bikes but suffer two problems....

1) The 200cc engines tend to be a little underpowered for anything except blatting round town. Highways aint fun as you dont have the stomp to get away from dumb thai pickup drivers.

2) The solid back wheel design, shared by the Harley Fatboy and Honda Magna, has one drawback.....at speed a strong gust of sidewind can catch the wheel and push you across the road...again especially on highways this can be a real problem. Harley Fatboys are big heavy bikes.....take one out to the valley just before Palm Springs in the USA and it turns into a 1100cc shopping trolley.....the wind there is bad, and riding a solid wheeled bike is plain scary.

Like I said, nice reliable runabouts, but for distances you should look at a bigger Shadow.

Also if you are my size you can look a bit like a preying mantis driving a small bike like a Phantom.

If y buy one second hand test ride it well.....a lot of thais don't understand engines need oil as well as petrol, tyres need air, and brakes need hyrdaulic fluid putting in em.

Caveat Emptor mate :thumb:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
nevets
Guru
Guru

Post by nevets »

I own one and had it from new ,i found it a good bike but as its my first have no others to compare to. Ive had it for three years and no probs gets a bit of vibration on the hand grip at high revs on long runs , gives you pins and needles sometimes. The 200cc is big enough i think my bike can out gun most vehicles if you throttle it. and im a 100kg. i dont need any faster , i think its a good looking bike and does job great.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've also had one from new (2 years). Never had a problem. 130 on the open road is well fast enough for me. Good reliable bike IMO.